General Discussion Triathlon Talk » sprint tri in a month Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-21 4:47 AM

Subject: sprint tri in a month
Hey folks - I'm a slightly above average athlete, my strength is in swimming. Biking shouldn't be a problem - but running will be my greatest challenge.
Anyway, my school is doing a sprint triathlon in just under a month and I want to do it. I know that I can do it based on my athletic ability plus the time spent training for the next month, but I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for training with only about 4 weeks to go so that I'm in the best possible condition for race day.
Thanks so much in advance for everyone's help and suggestions!

2004-04-21 4:54 AM
in reply to: #20430

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-04-21 7:53 AM

NW Suburbs of Chicago
Subject: RE: sprint tri in a month
Welcome... and happy initial post!

I agree with the running plan recommended above.
Also, keep in mind that this is a 3 sport race.
Be careful not to blast out the swim and hammer the bike so that your legs end up trashed for the run.
Try to find a pace that will allow you to complete all 3.

Good luck!
2004-04-21 9:43 AM

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
I agree with both above. Definitely do the bricks to evaluate how well you can combine the sports. Good luck! :-)
2004-04-21 10:09 AM

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
A few other things to watch out for with a month to go until your first tri are overtraining and injury. Your goal should be completing the race, not getting any certain time or anything. Keep yourself healthy, rested, hydrated and all that and you'll do your best. My first tri of the season is in just over a month - come back afterward and let us know how yours went!
2004-04-21 3:10 PM

Veteran
Northern IL
I would do some long swims, maybe 2-3 a week until the tri. If your strong in swimming try to cover twice the distance you will be swimming. With the biking since it is the majority of the race I would ride in the highest gear possible for whatever mileage you can. A month doesn't leave much time but you want to develop those muscles. And run a few times a week. Do the bricks that have been suggested. Don't over do it and injure yourself. Allow yourself to get plenty of rest that way you don't fatique yourself in two weeks.

Mike

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » sprint tri in a month Rss Feed