General Discussion Triathlon Talk » tri brief/short? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-21 2:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boston, MA
Subject: tri brief/short?
I've heard plenty of people giving praise to tri-shorts, but i see in a lotta pic of pro's they are wearing 'tri briefs'? is it just because of the weather that shorts might get too hot? Would briefs be any advantage/disadvantage for a kid from connecticut?

I was just wondering if any had any preferences for one or the other or if there was anything important to take into account when buying tri shorts/briefs...

2004-04-21 2:37 PM
in reply to: #20543

User image

NW Suburbs of Chicago
Subject: RE: tri brief/short?
Ummmm...... I think I read somewhere that people from Connecticut should not wear briefs. ;-)
2004-04-21 2:42 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Probably has a lot more to do with your comfort level. Me?? If I wore the tri-shorts, my inner thighs would probably chafe more, and that's not a pretty picture!! However, if I was one lean and fit machine, like the pros, that probably wouldn't be my concern!!

As it is, I am perfectly comfortable in my tri-shorts, and I can't imagine that there is a significant difference in hot weather comfort...

So, my recommendation is take a close look at your thighs and having discerned if they will or will not rub too much during your race (in particular, your run), make your decision accordingly!!

:-)

Dana
2004-04-21 4:20 PM

My problem is that I'd probably get arrested here in Kansas for wearing my tri brief in public. Right now, I'm training using one that I bought "grab bag" but I put a pair of running shorts over them to avoid the hastle of the public "indecency". But, I think that I look pretty darn good in it really, or at least my wife says so.
2004-04-21 5:42 PM

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
I have never worn briefs, but I love my Desoto trishorts. I have worn them cycling, swimming, and running. I can only say good things about the trishorts. Plus, I like the little padding that you get. I don't know if the briefs have any padding at all, but I don't like cycling w/o it.
2004-04-21 6:11 PM
in reply to: #20579

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
katfan97 - 2004-04-21 2:20 PM

My problem is that I'd probably get arrested here in Kansas for wearing my tri brief in public. Right now, I'm training using one that I bought "grab bag" but I put a pair of running shorts over them to avoid the hastle of the public "indecency". But, I think that I look pretty darn good in it really, or at least my wife says so.

LOL, that is pretty funny. :-)
I don't think I'd ever wear the brief unless I suddenly became a pro athlete, which is unlikely to happen. I would think chafing would be a problem - of course you could use Body Glide.

2004-04-21 8:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boston, MA
haha, well i'm glad i don't live in kansas! From the online catalogues and thing's i've read the tri breifs do have at least some sort of padding, i dont know if its comparable to the amount in tri shorts or not...

I'm def. not anywhere close to a pro-athlete of any kind, but can't really see my thighs rubbing as any sort of problem... well either way i decide to go (depeding on how sexy my girlfriend thinks i lookin shorts/briefs) I'll be sure to let everyone know how it turns out
2004-04-21 10:04 PM
in reply to: #20579

Veteran
Keller, TX

But, I think that I look pretty darn good in it really

Katfan, they must have a Jayhawk on them if they look good in Kansas!

TB (KU MBA '88)

2004-04-21 10:57 PM

User image

Veteran
I am wore the brief for last season and it worked great. I used body glide for the chaffing and had no problems. The problems I had with them, is that I don't feel comfortable training in them. In the pool I look normal, but there aren't many people running around or biking in briefs around here. This gave me a problem with tan lines. I looked like I was wearing white shorts under my briefs.
2004-04-21 11:09 PM

wolcott,ct
i haven't worn either but i know i just could not wear those little briefs out in public. i was planinng on using the shorts myself. they seemto be able to save time in the t-1. all i know for sure is after my first tri in july i should have a better idea. what is that body lube anyway?
2004-04-22 7:33 AM

User image

Expert
Torrington,CT
I know I'll be wearing tri shorts. They are great, even in the heat of summer. Plus at my age, I don't think I should be running around in a bathing suit bottom. I now wear a running short with a 5 inch inseam and they are the best, so that is what I am going to get in a tri short.

By the way, I live in CT too. I don't know if that's a + or - ;-)

Evelyn

2004-04-22 9:18 AM
in reply to: #20611

User image

Veteran
New Orleans, LA / Lafayette, LA
COgirl - 2004-04-21 5:11 PM

LOL, that is pretty funny. :-)
I don't think I'd ever wear the brief unless I suddenly became a pro athlete, which is unlikely to happen. I would think chafing would be a problem - of course you could use Body Glide.

What is Body Glide?? And has any one had any luck with "shaving" their inner thighs? I'd LOVE to get rid of some of that chafing. It's not too too bad right now, but I still don't think I'llok good enough to wear briefs. And whether or not I ever wear briefs in public, I'd still like the confidence of knowing that I'd lookg awesome if I did.
2004-04-22 11:05 AM

toronto
i wear tri short...ive read in a few places that briefs cause a major problem with your inner thighs rubbing on the saddle

cyle
2004-04-22 11:38 AM

Veteran
South Orange, NJ
I bought a Quintana Roo tri short about a month ago and wore it for the first time to bike this past weekend. It was incredibly comfortable. I figured I should make sure and wore it last night on the treadmill for 70 minutes, it felt great. Much more comfortable than the ASICS shorts I bought for my 5k. To be honest, except for some support, it hardly feels like you're wearing anything, as they cling to the body and don't flap up and down. I highly reccomend them.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » tri brief/short? Rss Feed