General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mountain Bike question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-22 12:25 PM

Albany, NY
Subject: Mountain Bike question
Who here trains and competes in TRI’s using their Mountain bike? Do you have any suggestions of a good bike, where to get a good bike, or and modifications you make to your mountain bike when you enter a race. Thanks in advance this site ROCKS!!!

Chris

2004-04-22 12:40 PM
in reply to: #20738

Agoura Hills Ca.
Subject: RE: Mountain Bike question
I do MTB triathlons almost exclusivley after eight years of road tri's. I ride a duel suspension Specialized M4 Rockhopper. Most MTB tri people and mountainbikers ride duel suspension cross country bikes. However, you can ride a hardtail ( no rear suspension) and do quite well on one. It is cheaper too.

If you live/train in upstate NY then I would imagine that the area is relativly flat with not a whole lot of rugged technical downhill. So your better off saving your cash and get a fast rigid hardtail.

Good luck
2004-04-22 1:00 PM
in reply to: #20738

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA
Subject: RE: Mountain Bike question
Jim - You don't think they have as kickin trails in Albany as we do in the Santa Monica Mountains? Probably not. Go XTerra!

If you are looking to buy a mountain bike that will be used ina road tri, get suspension with lockouts. I ride a dual suspension Canondale with lockouts on both front and rear. Hardening up the suspension while road riding makes the shocks waste a lot less of your energy.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mountain Bike question Rss Feed