General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Me, not motivated to race? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-11-23 5:06 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: Me, not motivated to race?
Okay, there is a 10k Turkey Trot tomorrow that I was probably going to do just to get one more rece in this season before I hang up the flats for the winter.  I figure I should be able to PR considering all my recent marathon training so why not take advantage of the fitness.  But I find myself sitting here not particularly interested in getting up and running around outside in the cold.  man, I never expected to not be psyched about an opportunity to kick some a$$.  Guess I really have shifted into the off-season recovery mindset since the marathon.  I really should get out and run though...it's been almost 2 weeks.

2005-11-23 5:19 PM
in reply to: #291461

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
Subject: RE: Me, not motivated to race?

Nothing I'm about to say comes from experience because I've only run one 5k.  I could try rah-rah cheerlead you into how exciting that was for me and how I can't wait for the rush of a race again but I think you are probably expecting that.  Let me ask you this - when you are racing do you ever look at people who just seem to be out there for the fun of it and wish you weren't so keyed on times and could just relax?  Maybe think of it like that.  Meet some people, run with slower people, practice form and just chill out.  Even hang loose, if you'll pardon the expression.  If it's a race you might not run anyway, why not just treat it as an opportunity to socialize with a big group of runners and enjoy it?

Also, I don't think you would have posted this issue here if you weren't looking for encouragement to go do it, so get out there and run.  Besides, you'll be able to eat all you want later in the day with less guilt, right?

2005-11-23 6:25 PM

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
TH3_FRB - 2005-11-23 3:06 PM

Okay, there is a 10k Turkey Trot tomorrow that I was probably going to do just to get one more rece in this season before I hang up the flats for the winter.  I figure I should be able to PR considering all my recent marathon training so why not take advantage of the fitness.  But I find myself sitting here not particularly interested in getting up and running around outside in the cold.  man, I never expected to not be psyched about an opportunity to kick some a$$.  Guess I really have shifted into the off-season recovery mindset since the marathon.  I really should get out and run though...it's been almost 2 weeks.

I don't think you have much left to prove this season ;-)
2005-11-23 6:46 PM

User image

Master
The real USC, in the ghetto of LA
you are transitioning into your offseason, very smooth and naturally... im getting all misty eyed. take it off, and enjoy it.
2005-11-23 7:06 PM
in reply to: #291470

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
I'm not necessarily looking for encouragement.  I'm very self motivated and not effected by peer pressure so it's gotta come from inside me or else it won't happen.  Sometimes I just like to post my thoughts on BT.  Thanks for the suggestions though.  I honestly couldn't imagine just going out and "taking it easy" during a race unless that was a specific plan based on my training.  If I'm not going to give it 100% then I'm sure as hell not getting out of bed early on Thanksgiving just to go for a run...I can do that at noon

hangloose - 2005-11-23 6:19 PM

Also, I don't think you would have posted this issue here if you weren't looking for encouragement to go do it, so get out there and run. Besides, you'll be able to eat all you want later in the day with less guilt, right?

2005-11-23 7:08 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
I think most of us can relate. After meeting all the big goals for the season, it can be such a letdown to think about a relatively minor goal in route to the offseason. Most of us are programmed to build up to that peak for our 'A' race, (our championship moment for the season). Mentally, after the peak has been reached it is really hard to get up for "smaller" race. (Incidently, this phenomenon is also why you should never bet on the team that gets left out of the BCS Bowls).
On the flip side, you can go into a race like this with no added pressure and no major expectations and rip out a great time.

Have fun!

2005-11-23 8:00 PM

Veteran
Joel,
#1 It's too friggin' cold.
#2 Had a long conversation with my coach this morning. The after-marathon-after-season-burn-out stage is normal and expected. I was complaining about lack of motivation and burn-out.
# Relax, you deserve it. Now is the time to take a small break before the winter base begins.
Happy Thanksgiving.
Rhonda
2005-11-23 8:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Allen, TX
what if you read a race report from someone else that went and it contained the wordage: "the hottest girl of all time was there. the guiness book of world records even rated her the hottest girl ever. i feel sorry for any of you suckers that didn't race this race!"

yeah i rest my case.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Me, not motivated to race? Rss Feed