General Discussion Triathlon Talk » first bought of discouragement Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-22 7:30 PM

User image

Veteran
New Orleans, LA / Lafayette, LA
Subject: first bought of discouragement
Today was my swim day, the toughest leg for me. Over all the swim went farily well, but I got really nervous all of a sudden about swimming in a race with a much of other people. My first tri is a mini..I think the swim is only 450 yrds, but at the moment, I have a hard time doing 50 yrds in free style. I could swim all day in breast stroke, but freestyle is KILLING ME. I think I'm going to try to get a coach this summer, even if it's not until after my first race. I'm worried that I'm doing everything comletely wrong which is why I have had the least improvement in swimming since I started training.
While I'm at it, I guess I'll share the other discouragement...I gained back the 4 pounds Id lost before spring break. I don't know why I'm all aggravated. I totally expected it with all of the Easter goodies, etc... Still. I really want to boost my metabolism, and I know that I have to eat to do it. But every time I eat a normal amount of food, I just gain gain gain it seems. I'm stuck at 130-131 lbs. Ahhhh!!! frustration!!!!! However, I'm not goig to start starving myself again because that, I believe, is what started this whole mess of unbalanced weight issues. All I want is 5 pounds!!!!!! that's it. Ahhh...anyone have any motivational stories?

2004-04-22 8:19 PM
in reply to: #20823

Veteran
Singapore
Subject: RE: first bought of discouragement
Don,t give up on your freestyle perservre with it but most importantly enjoy the training. Same here with me I can swim breaststroke effortlessly but still cannot do a 100m freestyle comfortably, still learning how to do freestyle. If you're gaining on weight only two ways either cut down on your calories or if you can't give up on the food then I guess you'll have to exercise more or at higher intensity without killing yourself first.
Just curious, what's your "normal amount of food"??
2004-04-23 8:30 AM

Veteran
Keller, TX

The swim will come.  Is your first swim a pool swim? If it is and you do a snake swim, just try to get to the back and you'll be fine.  I had a couple of people tell me at my race last weekend that they had seen people 'bounce' through the swim - just hop the distance - if doing something like that will get you through until you get comfortable, that's cool, just do that.  It will come with time.

With regards to weight, I know what you mean.  I gain and lose pounds easier and more frequently than I would like.  A couple of things that help me have a more true picture of my weight is to make sure that I am well hydrated all the time - if I go a day or two and am short on fluids, my weight goes down.  When I replace the fluids, it goes back up.  Since I need good hydration to have a good workout, I just try to keep the tank topped off, so to speak.  Second thing, I don't use weight so much as a barometer as I do my overall fitness level.  If I feel good, I don't worry too much about a couple of pounds.  The metabolism thing will happen, it may just take a little time.  Third, I eat five times a day - three meals with a snack at midmorning and midafternoon.  I think that has a big impact.  My wife and I both trained the same and ate the same when we started - I ate five times, she ate 3.  I lost a lot of weight, she didn't lose anything (and we both had weight to lose).

Keep at it - it will happen.

One last thought - muscle weighs more than fat.  If you look great and feel great at 130 and you are all muscle, why would you want to give up the muscle to get to 125?  I carry a lot of muscle.  People guess my weight at 180 but I really go closer to 200.  If you look like you weigh 125, let people think that - they don't have to know.

TB

2004-04-23 9:30 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
Roscoe, IL.
Hi Dorian,
Been there, am there right now.

When I decided to train for a tri. I dove into the pool and 10 minutes later was thinking it would never happen. If my calculations are correct, an Olympic distance is about 37 laps. I could do about one length freestyle and one length breast stroke for about 8 laps. This past Monday, 2 months later I finally did the distance with only two breast stroke lengths and one 30 sec. rest. I still have a bit of a panic attack when I think about open water swims but then I just try to remember the times when I was a kid and used to dive off the dock and swim about 1/4 mile to the point of a bay on a lake in nothern Wisconsin. Not the smartest thing to do because I never told anyone where I was going or what I was doing but I survived. I plan on finding a spot and doing a couple of open water swims before my first tri. on June 27. Is there a tri club near you? maybe they could help.

Weight loss:
Everyone says the last 5 lbs is the hardest. The body just doesn't want to give it up. Last summer I was as lean as I have ever been then pulled a hamstring and had to cut back on training. Guess what? the pounds came back on. Here's what I did and am doing now;

Plan each days nutrition the night before and stick to it.
have one free day per week eat anything you want.
after about 4 weeks of low calorie, take a week and up the calories by about 300.
then get back on low cal.
raise the intensity of your cardio workouts.

I'll look up the sources of where I came up with my plan and send them to you so you can make an informed decision about how to go about shedding the last 5 lbs.

main thing is to hang in there and don't give up. Remember, the folks they use as models in fitness mags. often don't look that way year round.

Don
2004-04-23 9:37 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
I can't help you much with the swimming since I'm just learning too.

With the weight, however, I've got some ideas. I have been/am going through what you're going through. I refuse to starve myself or do ANY diet that makes me feel funny. I want to be healthy, but I think a few extra pounds are preferable to yo-yo dieting. What's been working for me is modified South Beach a few days a week. Here's what it looks like:

Breakfast: 2-3 eggs, scrambled, with 3 slices turkey bacon and coffee with 2% milk.
Snack 1 at 10 am: 1 stick red. fat string cheese
Lunch: Low carb pita w/ spicy brown mustard, 6 turkey breast slices, 1 sliced cucumber piled on it. Braeburn apple. The pita kinda sucks. I'll stick with Cobblestone Mills whole grain honey wheat (my fav)
Caffeine break at 2 pm: 1 can diet soda
Snack 2 at 4pm: 1 small cup lite yogurt. 1 200 mg caffeine pill to help boost calorie burning potential during workout.
Workout at 5 pm
Snack 3: Big a$$ salad with a few croutons and parmesan cheese sprinkles
Dinner: Meat, green veggies, another salad if I want. Last night I had black beans w/mixed peppers, cucumber island salad and a veggie burger. And don't forget ONE BEER!
LOTS OF WATER

You'll notice that I've got more carbs than recommended (apple, yogurt, pita/whole grain bread, beer). Those have made it much easier to workout and recover, which is actually recommended in a small paragraph at the end of a section about exercise in the South Beach book. Be sure to have some carbs right before and right after working out. Anyway, by cramming my face with good food regularly, I'm not hungry enough to bother with cheating on my diet. The cucumber turkey sandwich is actually pretty filling, especially when coupled with a large apple. I go on and off as I gain and lose weight.

My weight tends to go up and down in small increments, but the general trend has been downward. Today, for the first time in months, my fat percentage registered a little lower! Yeah!

Anyway, when I get very discouraged, I try to remember that the slower I lose weight, the slower I'll gain it back in the future. I also keep in mind that our bodies are programed to lose weight slower and gain weight faster. It is natural to struggle with this. And when I feel really down, I just think about how I'd rather be larger and get to enjoy pizza and beer than be skinny and miserable like a model!

Good luck!

Edited by Whit 2004-04-23 9:39 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » first bought of discouragement Rss Feed