General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wet Bricks Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-23 8:17 AM

Veteran
South Orange, NJ
Subject: Wet Bricks
OK, I was planning on my first outdoor brick (8 mi bike / 2 mi run) this evening and its beginning to look like rain. So I'm thinking, hmmm, what happens if it rains during my tri in June? I can't imagine it's cancelled. So, should I go ahead with my plans and bike/run in the rain to get some practice just in case? Will they cancel the event? What about a thunderstorm w/ lightning, I suppose they can't let us swim, what's the scoop?

2004-04-23 8:44 AM
in reply to: #20870

User image

Veteran
Philadelphia, PA
Subject: RE: Wet Bricks
I think it's a case by case basis and they would probably only cancel it as a last resort ...i run in the rain all the time but i would use caution on the bike, especially if you are on the road ...Steven, I grew up not to far from you in Kearny ...played ice hockey @ South Mountain all the time ..what tri are you doing? wycoff?
2004-04-23 9:01 AM

User image

NW Suburbs of Chicago
I would postpone the brick since your race is not til June.
To me, it would just not be worth it to risk the chance of sliding on your bike in the rain at this point.
Is doing the brick indoors an option? That is where I did my first one (ie: stationary bike, indoor track).
You will get the same feeling of running with 2 hams on your legs if you do it indoors.

As far as cancelling a tri - I doubt it. Remember these are money makers for somebody, so they are typically not cancelled. However, I have seen the swim portion cancelled and a triathlon quickly turned into a duathlon if lightning is present due to liability.

2004-04-23 9:05 AM

Veteran
South Orange, NJ
When I workout indoors, I generally do running and bike, or bike and swim anyway. I can't seem to figure out how the stationary bike translates to the road bike. I can spend 30 minutes on the stationary (set at Level 7 for a Random workout) and ride 12.8 miles, this distance on the road takes me about an hour. So I just figured I'm not getting the same workout. Not to mention that my very slight experience is that running on the road is vastly different than on the treadmill. I'm feeling like I need more 'on the pavement' experience.
2004-04-23 2:45 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Why would you not ride your bike in the rain? I can understand it if there are gale force winds, but other than that what could the problem be? With the compounds used in the manufacture of tires these days, the likelyhook of the wheel sliding out from under is highly remote. Of course if you take a hairpin curve down a mountain at 100 kph you might have cause for concern but you don't have any intention of doing that, do you? You are right in your assumption that come tri day, whether it is rain or shine, it will be held; the promoters have too much invested in this already and could not afford to give refunds to all entrants. I commute to work on my bike whether it rains or not; I am just a little more careful when it does rain.

Edited by Machiavelo 2004-04-23 2:46 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wet Bricks Rss Feed