General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bar End Shifters Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-23 9:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Lakeland, Florida
Subject: Bar End Shifters
What is the general thought about the need for bar end shifters. On a long ride (60 miles) I am laying on my areo bars about 50% of the time. So half the time they would be nice, and half the time they still require a degree of effort to reach. For a 50-50 split is it really worth it??

2004-04-23 9:23 AM
in reply to: #20884

Champion
Subject: RE: Bar End Shifters
You know, I thought about this too. I like bar end shifters, but then I'm the sort of cyclist who rides the same gear a lot and I don't shift much when I come to the small bumps in terrain, as I tend to just power over them. I think for the person who tends to shift at every little change in gradient, then perhaps bar ends can be a bit of a pain. I do know that I miss the STI shifting system that I have on my other road bike, but it's a small trade off for having the nice aero position and cowhorn bars, even though getting of of the saddle for steep climbs is not quite as comfortable. I guess I can't complain too much...using the bar end shifter is not much different than having the shifters on the down tube, which I raced with back in the 70's.

Max
2004-04-23 10:03 AM
in reply to: #20884

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
Subject: RE: Bar End Shifters
Man, how did you guys ever ride with the shifters waaaaaaaay down there?

Being new to road cycling, I am still getting used to STI shifters. However, I am trying to spend more and more time aero on my rides, so I think that bar end shifter would be nice, but right now I can't afford to make the switch. So when I need to shift while aero, I leave the left forearm and hand in place, and move the right over to shift. Is there such a thing as "half-aero"?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bar End Shifters Rss Feed