General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » I'm Tri-ing to reach 30! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-24 2:27 PM

NH
Subject: I'm Tri-ing to reach 30!
Hello!

My name is Julie, from Hampton, NH, and the title of this posts says "I'm Tri-ing to reach 30"...that's 30 years of age. I decided on January 1, 2004 my New Year's Resolution (which many fail to keep more than a month) was going to be to complete a Triathalon before I turn 30. So that gives me until September 18th! And I'm on my way. (hopefully this training will help me not only accomplish this goal, but help me LOOSE 30 lbs before I'm 30 too!!)

I completed my first 5k today, to give myself a baseline of where I am now. I plan to continue to participate in 5ks (one a month until the tri date...AUG 1) to gague my progress (and replace some ratty T-Shirts in my drawer too).

I've tried running in the past, and have gotten bored with it. I've tried swimming in the past, and gotten bored with it...so I'm hoping that having 3 sports to train with at the same time will keep things mixed up enough that I won't get bored with this too. I've also done this training on my own and that's probably part of my problem.

Any suggestions on how to find someone local who might be willing to train a couple times a month just to keep me on my toes? I can't seem to find a tri-club in the NH or Northern MA/Greater Boston area. Am I not looking in the right places?

2004-04-24 3:11 PM
in reply to: #21112

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
Subject: RE: I'm Tri-ing to reach 30!
Hope this doesn't post twice - I think my first one ncountered a cyber bump - Welcome - you will find that tri sports is a blast. You should also be able to find folks in the Boston metro area - here's a link that might help:  http://www.trifuel.com/yp/index.php?PID=26
2004-04-24 5:03 PM

Veteran
Colorado
Welcome, Julie! I definitely find that having 3 sports to focus on eliminates my boredom.
Best of luck - Here's to a fantastic 30th!
2004-04-24 11:47 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Promise not to blame us when you have more race shirts than you no what to do with!  Let us know what we can do to help you reach your goal.
2004-04-25 12:16 AM

Julie,

Way to go on your resolution!!! I decided at the beginning of this year to do my first tri. I'm 43 and ran my first triathlon last month in Loma Linda, CA. I had so much fun!!! The best encouragement I received was have fun and I'm passing the encouragement on to you as well... Have A Great Time!!! You'll do great and hopefully will catch the tri bug like I did.

Best of luck to you,

Ken
2004-04-25 6:40 AM

Champion
Welcome Julie! I don't know if this is too far for you, but Landry's Bike shop has 4 locations in Mass. and one of them is in Danvers. They have a triathlon club chapter, though I believe the Danvers store group is not as large as the one in Westboro, which I belong to. But you may want to check them out anyway. Here are a few hand websites you might be interested in:

http://landrys.com/ Home page for Landry's Bike Shop

http://landrys.com/tri_club.html Landry's triathlon club

http://www.trifind.com/ Here you can search by state for triathlon events, check out the ones in NH, ME, and MA. There are a lot of shorter events listed in the area, good for getting your feet wet!

BTW, I had to look twice at your profile...I have a good friend named Julie from NH who is also a kayaker, but she lives in Nashua. Thought for a brief moment you were one and the same!

Max

Edited by max 2004-04-25 6:43 AM

2004-04-25 8:47 AM

NH
Thanks all for your "Welcomes" and well wishes!

Max, I work in Lynnfield; Danvers is right next door. I'll definatley look into the bike shop's club. Many thanks for the information. - The other Julie from NH
2004-04-28 8:17 AM

Regular
Lancaster Pa
Me to! Good luck! I turn 30 in July and I'm going to do a mini/sprint distance tri. I am excited and training is going well. I currently am spending 3 days running, 2 days swimming and 3 days on the bike. Missed the bike this week though it's in the shop! Good luck keep us all posted on how you are doing! I hate the running!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » I'm Tri-ing to reach 30! Rss Feed