General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question for Ron Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-24 4:28 PM

Subject: Question for Ron
Hi ron. I have started the 20 week olympic training program--the 2 a week in each sport program. I notice that the long swim starts out at 40 min and tops out at 77 min. I am a slow swimmer--just learned last year. I can do about 1500 meters (race distance) in 40 minutes. so I am supposed to build all the way to 77 min? should I be swimming these long swims continuously or take breaks? thanks so much for your advice. wendy

2004-04-24 7:30 PM
in reply to: #21126

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: Question for Ron

yes, like you i am a slow swimmer too and i can do a mile in 40-50 min.   i maxed the distance out to ~ 70min.  checking the stats on various olys, their are people slower than us...wanted to make sure they can do the distance and beyond...not just 'up to'.  plus my roots are the tfomtp 'triathloning for ordinary mortals'...he maxes out his oly swim at ~ 75min too plus he starts his program at 40min.  the longer your can go over the distance, the better you will be race day - especially for the bike and the rest of the race...plus combating the open water swim...that will suck some endurance outta ya...i should have swam more than just 50min for my first oly...i came out of the water wasted and the beginning of the bike was a struggle because of this.  most people dont swim continously all the time but most train with rests every so many lengths. you can get through your first triathlon by swimming continously though - i did...by mixing lengths of freestyle to breastroke....although def not the best way...it will get u over the finish line.  most people do repeats and intervals with breaks in between lengths.

unless i am mistaken,  u have been training with masters swimmers for awhile right?  u should know how to swim train beter than i ...i am coming from a purely beginner perspective - a perspective to get people finishing comfortably regardless of speed.  their are several different swimming articles by various authors under 'swim' in the directory, each with some workouts to do...i authored the article http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Ron/Getting%20Started%20With%20Swimming.htm though not the best way to train for competition IT WILL get beginners over the finish line...and it was continuous swimming and a slow buildup...but just stick with your masters swimming if still doing it and every once in awhile do a continuous swim...once a week?...so see how you weather under the distance...i am by far no expert in anything on this site...i am sure their are a lot better, more efficient ways to train in all disciplines.  i just wanna give people the confidence and motivation to change thier lives through the very basic programs here, become healthier, enjoy the comradairie and love this sport 4ever.

hope all goes well 4 u wendy.

2004-04-24 7:40 PM
in reply to: #21126

thanks ron! I am still swimming with masters swim three times a week, tues, thurs, and fridays. fridays are usually less busy, so my coach is fine with me doing my own thing on fridays. I have picked fridays as my "long swim" day. and I have done weeks one and two of the program, so 40 and 44 minutes of continuous swim. I think I will just continue to do my friday long swim and try to work myself up to 77 min of continuous freestyle. this should put me in great shape for my first oly, chicago , on august 29. I hope to do a 40 minute swim time. my coach thinks I am capable of 30 min by then. who knows. I am following the bike portion of your 20 week program to the letter---two bike workouts per week. the run workouts I am doing on my own, because I am already doing 20 miles a week(3-4 run days), am working myself up to 30 miles per week by race day. I am going to follow your volume rules though, up 10 percent then down 40 percent every 4 weeks. I think this makes a lot of sense. thank you for a great site. your 20 week program was just what I needed to get my bike on track--I have neglected the bike all winter, focused only on my swim and run. and my first two sprint tri times illustrate that!
2004-04-25 12:47 AM
in reply to: #21139

User image

Champion
Gold member

your coach is right...by august you will be swimming everyone under... u may even turn into a fish during the swim and never return as a land dweller.

great luck and we hope to hear about it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question for Ron Rss Feed