General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Eating before bed? Is it wrong? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-12-06 1:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Los Angeles
Subject: Eating before bed? Is it wrong?
I get to gym around 9:00 PM at night. I eat 'enough' dinner around 6:00 PM which gives me fuel to get through my workout. But I'm so hungry after my workout. Should I eat or go to bed hungry?

I bought some Apex Protein Cookies and am eating one now with water. I always crave something unhealthy like a chilli burger or fast food after workout but I refrain. So I thought maybe a Protein Cookie would be okay. I'll be going to bed in about an hour. That's another question. How long should I wait before going to bed after a workout as well?

2005-12-06 1:29 AM
in reply to: #299611

User image

Expert
Kaneohe, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Eating before bed? Is it wrong?

You post workout nutrition is classified by many as your most important meal of the day. And YES! you should feed your muscles after you train. After a workout your muscles are primed and ready to be fed. There is a short window of opportunity (30-60 mins) to pump some good stuff into those hungry cells due to their state of depletion caused by your training. This is a prime time to give them high glycemic carbs and easily absorbed protein.

One of my favorite post workout drinks consists of 8-10oz of apple juice, 1-2 scoops of vanilla whey protein, a few ice cubes and a little water. I toss all that into a shaker bottle, whip it up and enjoy. Adding a little glutimine and maybe some casein protein since you're headed for bed soon probably wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Ideally you'd probably want to have this shake right after your workout since at that time your muscle cells are begging to be fed. Give them good stuff that can be absorbed quickly and you will recover much faster and have better performance in subsequent workouts.

2005-12-06 1:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Los Angeles
So my cookie wasn't the greatest idea was it? I mean, I'm satisfied! I'm not starving. And it is a protein cookie!

I'll have to try and find some health shake like yours.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm off to a hot shower then to bed.

Edited by TriathleteNut 2005-12-06 1:32 AM
2005-12-06 6:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Halifax
As above I always want to get some grub into me right after a workout. If I had a hard workout day, even if it was first think in the morning I always try and make sure I have something in my gut when I go to bed. I guess the theory being that your body will use this energy to help rebuild well your resting.

Cheers.

Rice.
2005-12-06 3:45 PM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
It's important to eat after a workout.  I know that a lot of people have a rule that you're not supposed to eat after a certain time.  I don't necessarily believe that.  If you're active, I don't think you should have to worry about what time you eat.  Just my opinion though.
2005-12-06 8:20 PM

User image

Champion

I've read that if you eat something, give yourself an hour before going to bed.  This will give your stomach time to empty the contents and prevent some levels of indigestion.

I agree with runnergirl.  If you're active and your body needs the fuel, take it. 

From my own experience, I've found that if I have a small snack before bed (100-200 calories), it actually helps me lose weight b/c it gives my body more energy to heal itself through the night, normally burning more calories than I take in.

2005-12-07 1:05 AM

User image

Expert
Raleigh, NC
When you're hungry - eat. I can't sleep if I'm the slightest bit hungry.
2005-12-07 10:00 AM
in reply to: #300695

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

chris hughes - 2005-12-07 2:05 AM When you're hungry - eat. I can't sleep if I'm the slightest bit hungry.

There have been times when I didn't eat after a workout and went straight to bed.  Only to wake up in the middle of the night unable to sleep because I was so hungry. I ended up getting up in the middle of the night to eat a quick snack.  Now I eat before I go to bed- I don't care if people say it makes you gain weight.  If I'm hungry I eat

2005-12-07 10:36 AM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
I may be wrong, but I think most of the "don't eat after a certain time" started to help people try to lose weight. If someone isn't exercising and continues to snack after dinner, the weight keeps piling on. I still haven't figured out exactly what to eat (ok, I know fast food's out), but my tummy thanks me for putting something good in it after I work out
2005-12-07 11:02 AM
in reply to: #299613

User image

Expert
Kaneohe, Hawaii

TriathleteNut - 2005-12-05 9:31 PM So my cookie wasn't the greatest idea was it? I mean, I'm satisfied! I'm not starving. And it is a protein cookie! I'll have to try and find some health shake like yours.

A shake like the one I described above is probably better than your cookie but if the cookie is all you have then a cookie will have to do. Like the others said, if you're hungry... EAT! Make sure you make appropriate choices regarding calories (primarily) and macronutrient ratios. Shoot for good protein and carbs and try to avoid to much fat.

2005-12-07 3:49 PM
in reply to: #301006

User image

Veteran
Hannon, Ontario
I'm like runnergirl29 - I tend to get workouts in after the kids are in bed so I do eat before bed. I ,too, would wake up in the middle of the night famished. My fav pre-bed meal is good old bowl of almond granola cereal with skim milk and banana - YUMMM!

2005-12-07 4:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Los Angeles
I can do the cereal thing!!! BUt a shake sounds so good!
2005-12-07 5:29 PM

User image

Expert
Kaneohe, Hawaii

The thing about the whey shake is that it won't really "stick to yer ribs" so you'll probably wake up with a mouth full of pillow and nightmares of famine. The problem is that fat is generally what provides that full feeling. While feeling full is good the fat that causes it can inhibit the optimal absorption of protein and carbs from your shake.

2005-12-07 6:18 PM
in reply to: #301373

User image

Extreme Veteran
Los Angeles
Shaved_Wookie - 2005-12-07 3:29 PM

The thing about the whey shake is that it won't really "stick to yer ribs" so you'll probably wake up with a mouth full of pillow and nightmares of famine. The problem is that fat is generally what provides that full feeling. While feeling full is good the fat that causes it can inhibit the optimal absorption of protein and carbs from your shake.

All this tech talk is giving me a headache!

I'm loading up with yogurt at the store. And some granola cereal!

Edited by TriathleteNut 2005-12-07 6:19 PM
2005-12-08 8:01 AM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
You guys may laugh at this one. I do most of my owrkouts after supper (I eat with the family as it is an important bonding time). I end up showering, icing down, and then going to bed. Two hours later I wake up ravenous. I now have some ricecakes in my nightstand that I munch down quick (in the middle of the night) and then get back to the serious sleep I need. Now I know ricecakes have no nutritional value. I picked them to take the edge off (the icecream I would eat just landed on my ab blanket).
2005-12-13 11:40 AM

Expert
New Orleans, LA

After I have a hard workout, I like to down an AminoVital to help with healing my muscles, and then something high in protein. I don't get nearly enough protein in my regular diet, so I try to eat that after my workouts.

I wouldn't worry about the "9 oclock rule", I agree that it was mostly for those looking to lose weight. If your body is hungry then you need to feed it. You body isn't trying to trick you by giving you hunger pains, and you are harming your body and your training efforts if you don't feed it correctly when it needs it.

2005-12-18 11:25 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Gym at 9pm...what time do you get to bed?  If you have at least 60-90min between finishing at the gym and hitting the rack I'd suggest you eat twice.  First, it's important to get a good recovery "meal" within 30min of your workout.  The goals of this meal are to replace expended carbohydrate stores (glycogen), provide amino acids for resynthesis of protein that was damaged during training, rehydrate, and replace electrolytes.  You want to focus on BCAAs (branched-chain amino acids) and high GI carbs in a roughly 4:1 ratio...although I personally up the protein after a lifting session vs. running/biking.  Whey protein powder provides all the essential amino acids and a good supply of BCAAs and also happens to digest very quickly.  Simple sugars are a good choice for this post workout (PWO) meal because they will quickly enter the blood stream and be transported to the muscles fast.  Get yourself a shaker bottle and fill it with the dry ingredients you need so all you have to do is top it off with water at the gum and drink it on the way home.   I'd also suggest another "meal" just before bed (about an hour after your PWO meal).  Most of the muscle repair and rebuilding is done at night while you sleep.  Realize that you will be essentially fasting through the night and if you are training hard then your body will be starved for nutrients and building blocks over that time.  It's common for body builders to wake up in the middle of the night for another meal to keep the rebuilding process going through the night.  Whole foods are a better choice here because they will tend to digest more slowly providing a slow release of fule through the night.  Keep this mean higher in protein and lower in carbs.  Fruit and a chicken breast work well.  The fructose in fruit is a slower digesting sugar and the meat will provide lots of amino acids for muscle repair.  If you prefer to go with another protein shake then try adding some flax oil or eating a small handful of nuts along with it.  The fat will slow the digestion of the whey and shouldn't be a concern as long as you don't go overboard.
2005-12-18 11:29 PM
in reply to: #301614

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
I'd seriously suggest a protein shake.  Mix it up before bed and leave it in the fridge.  When you wake up ready to eat your hand shuffle to the kitchen and chug-a-lug.  Or just drink it down while you ice.  Your body is trying to recover and rebuild from the training and if you don't provide sufficient fuel it will just cannabolize itself...you'll actually break down lean body mass to support the recovery process...not an efficient way to get stronger.

hikergerb - 2005-12-08 9:01 AMYou guys may laugh at this one. I do most of my owrkouts after supper (I eat with the family as it is an important bonding time). I end up showering, icing down, and then going to bed. Two hours later I wake up ravenous. I now have some ricecakes in my nightstand that I munch down quick (in the middle of the night) and then get back to the serious sleep I need. Now I know ricecakes have no nutritional value. I picked them to take the edge off (the icecream I would eat just landed on my ab blanket).
2005-12-23 12:59 PM

New user

Sacramento, Ca.
I'm no health professional, but I eat a huge bowl of cereal before bed as a ritual and comfort. I do this too often :D , but it satisfies me and I am not overweight. Also, get general mill cereals, since they are all whole grains! (they ought to pay me to say that)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Eating before bed? Is it wrong? Rss Feed