General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Interesting running experience Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-12-17 9:44 AM

Expert
Miller Place, Long Island
Subject: Interesting running experience
I had a really strange and somewhat interesting experience this morning during my long run.

About two months ago, I can remember pulling into the parking lot at work and watching our boy’s cross-country team running by my car. As they ran, they almost looked like they were floating. It was so interesting to watch, they looked so calm, and their running was so effortless… I was jealous. I spoke to one of my students that day (a 16 year old, outstanding runner) and he told me that that seems to happen to him when he is in the middle of a long run.

Today, I ran 8.62 miles without stopping (9:48/mile - no where near the pace of my 16 year old student). It is the longest distance I have ever run by far and I am thrilled that I was able to do that. At about the 6th mile, I actually had this strange, calming feeling come over me. For the first time, I felt like I was floating. I felt like I had no control, or better yet, I didn’t have to have control. It was pretty amazing!!

Is this normal? Is this something I can count on happening on a regular basis? Was I just in some sort of a running mental zone that may come and go without any rhyme or reason?

2005-12-17 10:25 AM
in reply to: #307520

User image

Veteran
Washington, DC(ish)
Subject: RE: Interesting running experience
Congrats on finding the zone. May you find it more often and at convenient times...like races.
2005-12-17 11:48 AM

User image

Queen BTich

Ahhhh...the zone. The good place.

2005-12-17 11:50 AM
in reply to: #307534

User image

Expert
I know exactly what you mean.  I used to be able to find "the zone" or what ever it is very easily when I ran track in high school.  I don't know if it's age or what, but it's becom much more elusive now that I'm older (I'm 30).  I do seem to be able to get into that effortless state more readily if I am just doing a run.  If it's part of a brick or a tri, forget it!  I'm hoping that as I get in better shape, I'll be able achieve that state more easily.  It really is a strange kind of "Wow-my-legs-are-just-working-on-their-own" sensation.  Very cool.
2005-12-17 4:00 PM

User image

Regular

This happened to me a couple of weeks ago for the first time. It was cool.

Now when my sedentary friends ask me what I am running from, I don't just have to say old age or a bear. Now I can really mean it when I say I am running toward something instead. To get high with no hang over, to float through the air or as Bill Murray said in Caddy Shack quoting the Lama, "to receive total consciousness". It really did feel like slow motion, no noise, beautiful gloomy sky and to top it off a very fine mist and a fog. The mist and fog were nature, but it really added to the experience. The scenery just passed by like on a train.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Interesting running experience Rss Feed