General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lower body workout Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-12-19 8:27 PM

User image

Expert
Avon, CT
Subject: Lower body workout
I need some ideas for lower body exercises...here is what I am doing now twice a week:
leg extensions, leg curls, hip/thigh ab/adductor, seated calf raises. I would like to tone my legs more and make them nice and strong (firming my butt wouldn't hurt either). Suggestions please!

2005-12-19 10:32 PM
in reply to: #308479

User image

Expert
Kaneohe, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Lower body workout

Get off the machines and do some free weights. Start off with light squats (I prefer front squats but thats me). Splitting the leg workout into two seperate days will reap much better results. One day focus on quad moves like the squat, sissy squat, extensions... the other day focus on hip or hamstring moves like deadlifts, stiff deadlifts, curls. Its safe to work calves on both days as long as you've got at least one non-leg day between each workout.

Here is a workout close to what I found to be very affective for me. For all movements, use a weight that will allow you to perform each set within the rep limits assigned. Adjust the weight accordingly should you fall short of exceed the number given. You want to train the muscle to just before failure. Failure in this instance is a breakdown of proper form NOT an inability to complete the next rep regardless of form. You should not use a weight that prevents you from completing the assigned reps.

Quad Day: (60-90 sec rest between sets, 90-120 sec rest between moves)

Start with Ab Work (crunches, situps, ect) to wake up your core.

WU: 15-20 mins of light spinning

Front Squat: 2x10 (light), 1x20, 1x16-18, 1x14-16, 1x10-14

Form is crucial. Maintain proper form thoughout movement. If you lose your form you are using to much weight. Concentrate on each rep. Count 3 on the way down and 1 on way up with no pause at the top or bottom. It won't take much weight at all, maybe even just the bar to start with and it will burn like the dickens. Work through it.

Leg Extensions: 3x12-15

Again, focus on form. 1 count for the extension, hold for 1 sec and really crunch on the top then lower with a 3 count. No pause on the bottom.

Sissy Squats: 3x12-15

If your gym doesn't have a sissy squat station you can build one inside the power rack if you're ingenious enough. You may or may not choose to add weight to this exercise by holding a dumbell or plate as you perform. Use a 2 or 3 count on the way down and a 1 count for the way up. Go deep or at least try togo deep enough to bring the thigh parallel to the floor. This move is killer if done correctly.

Finish with a Calf routine and maybe some very light spinning and have a walker or cane ready for the trip to the car..

Hip Day: (60-90 sec rest between sets, 90-120 sec rest between moves)

Start with Ab Work (crunches, situps, ect) to wake up your core.

WU: 15-20 mins of light spinning

Deadlift: 2x10 (light), 1x20, 1x16-18, 1x14-16, 1x10-14

As described in the front squat, form here is crucial! If you are unsure of how to perform this movement correctly seek guidance from a qualified trainer. Again, 3 count on the way down, 1-2 count on the way up, no pause at top or bottom.

Stiff-Legged Deadlift: 3x12-15

I like to think that regular deadlifts are only a prep for this terrific movement. Same cadence, 3 down and 1-2 on the way up, no pauses. *NOTICE* These are Stiff-Legged Deadlifts not Straight-Legged Deadlifts! You should maintain a bend in your knees during the entire range of motion. The trick is to LOCK that bend and keep it there throughout. Treat your hips as if they were a hinge and only allow movement from that hinge. Everything else should be locked in place. Focus on pulling with the hams and glutes. You can adjust the feel of this movement by slightly rocking forward or backward a TINY bit in order to find the groove that gives you the best focus on your hams and glutes. DO NOT pull with the lower back and DO NOT arch your back. Like your knees, the back should be straight and locked throughout the range of motion.

Leg Curls: 3x10-14

Try to keep your butt down while at the peak of contraction during this movement. Concentrate on the crunch at the top and go for a full range of motion or furthest extension possible on the machine you're using. 1 up, 3 down, 1-2 sec squeeze at the top, no pause at the bottom.

Finish with a Calf routine and maybe some very light spinning.

Believe it or not, both of those workouts are complete and should have you out of the gym in about 1 hour. Stick with this routine for 3-4 months and you will own one of the best looking tri-short fillers at the starting line.

2005-12-19 10:52 PM
in reply to: #308530

User image

denver
I like leg presses and back extensions, too!  And about a year ago, someone showed me single leg presses (done on the same machine).   
2005-12-20 7:44 AM

User image

Veteran
New Haven, Connecticut
In addition to or in place of squats, I would highly recommend lunges. From my experiences, lunges will work your butt like nothing else, while also working your quads and hamstrings. The other advantages of lunges are that the movement is easier to grasp than is the squat movement. Also, the weight you'll have to use will be less than squats because with lunges you only do one leg at a time. Give it a try!! After lunges, I would move onto leg extensions, leg curls and calf work.
2005-12-20 7:26 PM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
I second the lunges. My butt hurts after them. Lunges also work your balance. So be careful at first. I like squats and I do seated calf raises.

Edited by Rowdy 2005-12-20 7:27 PM
2005-12-20 8:15 PM

User image

Expert
Kaneohe, Hawaii
Here's a great workout from a very reputable physique training online mag. Here's the followup. These training plans incorporate movements usually not seen in most gyms yet they provide the tools you need to build a teriffic base of strength and balance... something we could all put to good use. I've done both of these plans and they work wonderfully....even though they are very tough.

2005-12-21 12:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver
I "third" the lunges! OMG. Did 3 sets of lunges yesterday with 30lbs of wieght. V. sore today in my bum!

2005-12-21 12:36 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
If you wan't killer toned but not bulky calfs (calves?) jump rope. 
2005-12-21 1:53 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA

Squats, hack squats, straight leg dead lifts, and weighted lunges....and maybe some calf raises if you want.  Stick with compound movements...no need for isolation exercises IMHO.

You can do the squats in the Smith machine at first till you are comfortable with the technique but I'd suggest trying to do them free weight before long...great for working the smaller stabilizer muscles and your core.  Don't worry about going heavy with anything.  Begin with very light weight or even no weight to get the form and technique nailed.  I suggest 4 phases of 4-6 weeks each.  You'll basically start by establishing form, technique, and some stamina and them progress through building more power with each phase.  Phase 1 being 15-20 rep sets of light or no weight, phase 2 being 12-15rep sets, phase 3 being 8-12 rep sets, and phase 4 being 5-8 rep sets.  When you can do 2 or 3 sets at the top end of the rep range for each phase then add 5-10% more weight the next time.  For example if you are in phase 1 and can manage to lunge 2X20 with 45lbs, add 5lbs the next week and stick with it till you make it back to 2x20reps.

2005-12-21 4:01 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-12-21 11:09 PM

Extreme Veteran
MN
When I was primarily a runner, I lost most of my butt and my pants were falling off. Doing runs with big hills, and biking hills started to fill me back out. The nice thing about doing hills is that you build power, add a nice shape, and dont have to add weight that does not correspond to being faster in a tri.

2005-12-22 12:51 AM
in reply to: #310324

Coach
Stairway to Seven
stair climbing!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lower body workout Rss Feed