General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Poll: How many TRUE newbies (couch - triathlon) people are there out there? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-30 7:35 AM

User image

Regular
South Carolina
Subject: Poll: How many TRUE newbies (couch - triathlon) people are there out there?
I'm pretty much straight off the couch in all events. It gets a little overwhelming to think of what I'm getting myself into at times. But, the Team in Training coaches assured me I'd be able to finish an event after this. I hope so!

2004-04-30 8:34 AM
in reply to: #22094

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
Subject: RE: Poll: How many TRUE newbies (couch - triathlon) people are there out there?
Except for cycling, I was in your shoes in January. By meshing the Team in Training program w/ lots of great information here, I have no doubt I will be able to do my event in a few weeks. The TNT event for my area is Memphis in May. Coming up on the 23rd. Just be consistent in your training and I know you'll be successful! :-)
2004-04-30 8:37 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
northern Illinois
Subject: RE: Poll: How many TRUE newbies (couch - triathlon) people are there out there?
I'm not a true newbie to fitness activiites. But I am a total newbie to triathlons. And gracious me! You should see my running. In my first race (which was just last weekend), race walkers were passing me. Little old ladies passed me. But we can do this thing. I'm sure that we can.

Andrea
2004-04-30 9:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: couch newbie - looking for the blog pal
Hi, Phoenix!
I am straight off the couch. Even worst, I could never imagine me - running. Now I can run 90sec a the time.
And I was almost adult when I learnt (how is it spelled?) to ride a bic. So I do not feel comfortable with it. I feel clumsy. I am actually a little bit scared of it.
Water is my element becouse I was born in Dubrovnik, I can swim long but it is very, very slow. But breathing thing I started to learn just recently. Drills are very good thing.
Only sport I have experience with is weight lifting, but I tryed it couple of times over last 10 years only to quit after 2 months.
IMHO tri + a little bit strenth training is a best possible and funniest way to get into a best possible shape before pregnancy. (You mentioned in another thread.) With common sence and not overdoing it (and not letting anyone to persuade you to overdo it), no harm can be done and lots of benefit. I want to develop strong, healthy body, connected with the nature, strong muscles and bones and to improve body fat composition. I found tri-training as the best way to acoomplish my goals.
The event itself is important but not the main reason for me. I set the date (sprint distance) and I am sure that I can finish it one way or another. I just want to finish it in a good condition. But I don't think about event too much, I want to enjoy the voyage.
I think that distance is far from extreme and, besides, cross training prevents from runner's... how to say it... strange side effects, e.g. mentioned in another thread.

(There is something else on my mind wich you will understand: my mother was badly injured last year in traffic accident and died after couple of months. I so badly wanted her to be able to walk again! She had the zest for life! That experience opened my eyes: I think, to have average normal movable body and not to move it - it is THE SHAME! So I ran, swim, bike becouse I can, it is my obligation - to live, becouse I am alive; to enjoy that freedom of movement for sake of all the brave people who can not... - to honor their courage!)

The bug has bitten us - period. We can't help it or resist it any more. What a happy crazyness! Let it be!
Phoenix, don't worry - you are the captain of your ship! Everything will be fine!

Edited by sanjana 2004-04-30 9:29 AM
2004-04-30 9:39 AM
in reply to: #22120

User image

Regular
South Carolina
Very inspiring, Sanjana! Your story (especially the part about your mother) is wonderful and motivating. I don't think you have ANY motivation problems at all (RE: your motivation problem thread). You have a great spirit for this! I love the voyage/ship analogy!

Yeah, getting my body in shape for pregnancy was also one of my goals (and something my mother told me I should do too, LOL).

I did martial arts for almost 10 years, but only 5 of those was very serious and aerobic. The last 5 were very anaerobic and I only participated sporadically. I never thought I'd let myself (because I've had an athletic mindset since I was in preschool) get in this condition, but I have. When I was a kid, though, I loved running and often won events at school. Even when I was a freshman in high school I remember surprising myself by doing a distance run for my PE class and not having to stop and clocking one of the best times. I think there's a runner deep down inside me screaming to be let out...

And the whole reason why I wanted to do tri was for the swimming element. I love to be in the water, but have never been professional trained in swimming. I have no idea how good I am endurance-wise, but I am thinking not too good, esp. since most people say swimming is hardest!

Biking...we bought a bike last year. My husband took it for one ride around the neighborhood and he came back and was like "I didn't realize how difficult bike riding was!" I took a spin and agreed--the hills are murderous! But I think as I build up endurance and learn how to do the gears properly, I'll be okay.

You're right! We can do this!!!
2004-04-30 10:47 AM
in reply to: #22123

User image

Extreme Veteran
PhoenixRises - 2004-04-29 3:39 PM

I don't think you have ANY motivation problems at all (RE: your motivation problem thread).

It is true - I don't any more, thanks to all kind people who posted great advices!

2004-04-30 10:58 AM

User image

Elite
Reno
Not a newbie to sports and stuff, just took a sabatical from it. Then was sick (malaria 3 times in a year leaving me aneamic and lazy), then hurt my hip salsa dancing...... what a year! So I signed up for a triathlon.

Got back up off the couch in January - feeling good now. Still not running except on the elliptical because of the hip, but it is getting better. I should be awkwardly plodding along by the end of May, so sorry for those who might have to watch that..... I'd like running to be what you do when you are, say, about to get hit by a truck or when you encounter a bear.... maybe a triathalon that ends in a boxing match, or rowing a boat.... anything but running!!!!

Have a good time feeling good!

Mary

2004-04-30 11:22 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
I am a tri newbie! Always have been a runner - trained for a marathon last year with Team in Training. Problem was that all that running exacerbated the injury I had from skiing and I wound up having surgery. I did not get to do the marathon (I had gotten up to 17 mi in training!) Very frustrating.

After surgery, I was told no running for 6 months. (boo,hiss). So I was a couch potato for those 6 months and basically started from scratch! I think marathons are out for me, but figured I could do a tri without killing my knee from only running! So - we'll see when July rolls around. ;-)

You will be able to do this, especially with the guidance from TNT!
2004-04-30 11:37 AM

User image

Master
Chicago
Phoenix,I'm a total newbie. Always been "athletic," but never competitive or sporty. My body is made for sports and wished I could have gotten involved sooner. But long story short I've always been fat, big, husky, overweight, too much junk in the trunk kinda' girl. Was tired of being big so wanted to lose weight before I turned 32. Always been a swimmer (but slow) and someone said off handedly "You ought to do a triathlon." Signed up for it and my FIRST one is in two weeks! Two weeks Saturday to be exact. I am definitely straight from the couch. Never did any running, or biking and swam periodically. Starting swimming regularly in January and then started running in March. In two months I have progressed from only being able to run for 60 sec., to running 12 min and 30 sec -miles. In the last four months I've managed to shave about 5-7 min off my swim time for the 1/2 mile and biking, well, I'm praying spin class will save me. In running, I've done three run races, including a 5k (Thanks so much Kgart, you rock, wouldn't have done it w/o you) this and will do my fourth tomorrow. I have my first tri in 14 days and my second a month after that and my third in September. I've never would have made all this progress without three things - God, my personal will and determination and B.T.com! So can you do it? Definitely. Will you! Most definitely. Good luck and happy training!Ovetta.
2004-04-30 11:38 AM

User image

Master
Chicago
Oh, I forgot. I've lost about 40 pounds in the process! Woo Hoo! Can you say, "I'm too sexy for myself!"
2004-04-30 11:44 AM
in reply to: #22154

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
infosteward - 2004-04-30 9:38 AM

Oh, I forgot. I've lost about 40 pounds in the process! Woo Hoo! Can you say, "I'm too sexy for myself!"

You go girl! Too sexy for myself....you crack me up!

2004-04-30 11:47 AM

User image

Master
Chicago
I know Cogirl!Even though I've always been bigger than the average bear I've never had those self-esteem, I feel fat problems many women who are overweight do. If I could walk around naked all day I would, danm what people WANT to see! My mom always said I never met a mirror that I didn't like! I just say when I look in the mirror that I'm admiring God's handiwork!
2004-04-30 2:01 PM

Extreme Veteran
Total newbie here. I was an athlete in high school, 12 years ago and since have put on 50lbs and now taken off 25lbs since I have been "training". I plan to do my first event next year at the latest with a possible event in July this year.
2004-04-30 4:05 PM

New user
Iowa
I'm a newbie tri'r - not a total beginner to all tri elements. I started running in December when I couldn't get on my bike but needed to do something aerobic. My passion is biking and have been riding for about 10 years now, the last couple fairly serious. It only made sense to add one more element into the mix and I could turn into a triathelete! Except for one small thing, my swimming really, really, stinks - can't-swim-to-the-end-of-the-pool-25-yards without dying, gasping for air - stinks! :-( Sooooo, my goal for this year is to work on my swim technique (husband was a collegiate swimmer - I've got a built in coach) and I'm competing in a duathalon this coming Sunday and my summer goals are to run in several 5K's, 10K's and a 1/2 marathon in September along with a couple of centuries on the bike. I plan to work on swimming in the winter months and will be competing in my first tri in 2005 - same year I hope to run a marathon!

After following everyone's training progress, it appears that I could almost enter a tri this year - if - (and that's a big IF) I could get my swimming to a half way decent level, except I'm not sure how my husband and I could carve off the time to train. We both bike separately as it is. Soooo....... that's my dilema. And I'm being fairly selfish with training time cause I don't want to do anything else but bike! Hmmmm....need to think about this!
2004-04-30 4:50 PM

Veteran
Colorado
Hi Phoenix! I am coming from couch to tri (first one in July). I never biked, never was a runner, and only swam laps for exercise when I was in college (graduated 21 years ago - OMG, can that be true?!) I have been getting fit since last October (lost 19 lbs) and I would say I have been "training" for 6 weeks now. My initial goal was just to finish a sprint event but I am making more progress than I thought and am getting "competitive" with myself with respect to my guestimated finishing time! I have made the most progress in realizing that I am truly just competing against myself and that feels good!
You can do it!! I have read flyers about Team in Training and it sounds like a great program. With that and the support and information here, you're doing great already!
2004-05-01 3:05 PM

wolcott,ct
i also started in jan. i started running on the treadmill which wasmore of a walk than a run.now i looking back and remembering how much easier it has all gotten. i have always been able to swim pretty easily, thanks to my parents and the ymca.i am an old time mtb addict but have gotten away from most of my fitness goals thanks to being a father, i have a beautful wife and to great kids.with all the activities my kids do i had little time or energy to do any working out. i watched my 10 year old son earn his black belt this past winter and it motivated me to do something i have wanted to do for 15 years. my first sprint tri is in july and like all the info on this web site says i am training above my race distances already. so it seems the distances are the easy part. all i need now is to see how much harder i may need to train for my second tri. but i will keep doing what we all are doing and hope for the best . there is no subtitute for experience. i am looking forward to this new competition in my life.

2004-05-01 4:51 PM

I am a Marine so Im a decent runner, and the bike was fairly easy to get down. But I just learned how to swim in January. So I am at least a SWIM newbie!
2004-05-02 9:00 AM

User image

Veteran
New Orleans, LA / Lafayette, LA
I am most definately a true newbie to triathlons, and endurance fitness. I've always played sports and been very athletic, but I only ran short sprint races. I guess I can move very quickly in short bursts of time. haha Anyway, I decided to start my training 1) to give me something to work towards that would be a big challenge 2) to help me get my metabolism up 3) to tone my muscles all over, and 4) that I can start a sport that will stay with me for years to come, as well as one where I don't necessarily have to rely on anyone else. It's just me, the road, and the water.
My first 6 weeks of training have been pretty good, though I was set back with 2 weeks of illness and down time. (grr!!!!) I'm looking forward to having a lot more time to devote to training this summer...and I'll have a REAL BIKE!!!!!!! No more spinning for me this summer!

Hooray only 1.5 weeks of school left for me and I can go hard core in light of my first tri at the end of may!!!!!

Good luck to all! GO TRIATHLETES!!!!!!!!! WE RULE!!!!! (and a special praise for newbies for having the courage to take on such a challenge)
2004-05-03 10:13 AM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Newbie here too!

I've been pretty athletic most of my life, but have never been an endurance sports gy (although I was a swimmer when I was younger - but that was over 20 years ago).

Started training at Thanksgiving, did my first Sprint Triathlon yesterday!  Just go for it and have a great time.

Dan

2004-05-03 10:42 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
Roscoe, IL.
Been a dreamer/wisher for 20+ years. Sitting by the tv eating chips and drinking beer watching the Hawaii Ironman. Ran for 2 seasons 25 years ago (1 half marathon race). Haven't been in the water for longer than that due to shoulder problems. Who would have figured that this would have guided me to deal with it and fix it rather than live with it. Now the shoulder is better than ever. Avid cyclist for all that time except for a couple of years while I bulked up to 300 lbs. Now the dreaming/wishing are over and the doing has taken over. My first is June 27. Second is Aug. 1, and wrap up my rookie season on Sept. 11.
Yeah, I'm a TRUE newbie. And proud of it.

Edited by rookie44 2004-05-03 10:43 AM
2004-05-03 12:54 PM
in reply to: #22180

Regular
Minneapolis
hey, me too, joscon! i.e. former athlete, then 12 years of nothing good for me. I quit smoking this winter, and started working two months ago because I needed to remind myself every day not to damage my lungs anymore! I'm also 50 lbs. overweight, so, slow start. But I signed up for a short tri at the end of August because I think the balanced, multi-sport approach to training makes sense. So far I've been achieving each little mini-goal I've set for the month, but the former athlete in me is frustrated that I can't yet run for 30 minutes continuously, without stopping to walk for a minute or two here and there. But gosh, I feel better!!!!!!!! Question: does anyone know how to "count" work on an elliptical trainer, towards "running" goals? When the spring weather (in Minnesota) goes from 92 one day, to chance of snow the next, I end up inside on a machine once in a while....

2004-05-03 8:58 PM

Hammond, La

I was probably the KING of  couch potatoes, In Jan 2002 I was 449.4, Sunday 5/2/04 I completed my first sprint tri, that became a major duathlon, swim was cancelled and substituted with an additional 2.5 mile run for a total of 21 mile bike and 4.0 mile run in 2:35 @ 239 lbs.

6.5 miles is the farthest I have ever run in my life. The last two years have been amazing, I only wonder what is next? In 2002 I walked 1000 miles, then did the MS Tour for Cure 150 mile bike ride in two days, total time was 9hr and 34 min.in 2003, in 2004 completed one tri. and three duathlons and looking for another sprint tri. Go FIGURE. This is from someone that hated gym in school and lunch was my favorite subject.

NOGILLS

2004-05-03 10:02 PM

Jefferson City, TN
I am a total newbie. I started in January of this year. Overweight, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, lazy, etc. But I just finished my first tri last weekend. I've got a long way to go, but at least I'm not where I was when I started. As a guy I talked with at the pool said a few weeks ago, "It's all about showing up!"
2004-05-03 11:28 PM

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids, Minnesota
I have been active- working out moderately 3-4x/week, but never dreamed I could do the things I'm doing now.

When people ask me what my strength is - I have to say NONE (maybe except that I enjoy training). I was one of the new swimmers who didn't even know I was supposed to exhale while my face was in the water- was proud when I first made it all the way across the pool with front crawl. Always struggled biking- never enjoyed it. The few times I ever ran up to 2 miles it was quite a big day.

Have my first sprint tri July 10- and am starting to think I'll actually be able to do it!! My times and distances are steadily improving THANKS to the great training schedule off BT!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Poll: How many TRUE newbies (couch - triathlon) people are there out there? Rss Feed