General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Storage and Maintenance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-01-03 3:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Geneva, Illinois
Subject: Bike Storage and Maintenance
Hi all,

I have a really nice bike now and I want to take good care of it. I was told that you shoudn't keep a bike on its wheels when you store it in the garage; you should either hang it by it frame or hang it upside down from its rims. Why is that? I tend to think that hanging it upside down from the rims is more stressfull than storing it on its wheels...but I will do what I am told.

What are some other good tips on how I can take good care of my bike, other than the obvious not crashing it and taking it in for tune ups every so often.

Thanks,

NuOrder Rob

2006-01-04 1:26 PM
in reply to: #315878

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: Bike Storage and Maintenance

You can keep your bike on its wheels but if you put it away for extended periods of time it is best to have the wheels off the ground.  When left for awhile, the air leaks out of the tubes and the tires become flat.  The weight of the bike presses down on the tire and can distort it or worse rot the tire on a cold damp garage floor.  Hanging your bike up by the wheels eliminates that problem.  As for the weight being stressful for the wheels!!!!  Think about it, both wheels can carry your weight without any problom so why should a bike weighing 20 lbs or so adversely affect them?  I prefer to hang my bike on a hook by the front wheel.  This takes very little room.

Fmiliarize yourself with the mechanics of your machine.  Get a copy of Zinn's Bicycle Repair book; it is practically a bible for aspiring young bike mechanics.  Always tighten what needs to be tightened or adjust any slight problem befor it gets to be a bigger problem.  And keep your bike, especially the drivetrain, clean and well lubed at all times.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Storage and Maintenance Rss Feed