General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mental Crash.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-03 9:45 AM

Veteran
South Orange, NJ
Subject: Mental Crash....
Thursday night I went out and biked 18.5 miles, I felt fantastic. Followed up by a 4 mile road run on Friday night and Saturday morning a 30.5 mile bike ride through some great NJ farmlands. I felt fantastic, the endorphins were pumping. Now here's the problem, since late Saturday night I've been feeling down. This is unusual because I am normally really up after having good workouts. But these were up a notch, the bike rides were all new personal distance records, the run inbetween felt great. I knew that I probably wasn't going to be able to workout on Sunday since it was my youngest's 10th birthday (maybe I'm feeling old). So since Saturday night I've been feeling really down (and did a bunch of binge eating; an old habit). Not working out on Sunday has not helped. Putting this down here has helped a bit, and knowing that I will get back into my routine tonight will probably help (I'm past the binge eating so I feel better about that). But what happened? Is it possible that after having these great workouts, that after being totally pumped with adrenaline and endorphins that I simply CRASHED? Has anyone experienced this? Is there any good way to deal with it? A trip to the gym would have been great, but I really didn't feel like doing anything. Any thoughts?

2004-05-03 10:21 AM
in reply to: #22544

User image

Expert
Iowa
Subject: RE: Mental Crash....
I've got great news for you! You're perfectly normal. Don't know why these things happen, but they do - to all of us at one time or another. It will pass, and sometimes a workout is just the thing to get you going again. Good luck and keep working hard.
2004-05-03 11:09 AM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
A mental crash after such a pump from andrenaline/endorphins is completely natural, and unfortunately, a rather common occurence. You'll have to mentally prevent yourself from letting this take over.

A similar thing happens to combat soldiers after a war is over: they live on the adrenaline of combat for so long, that when they get back to 'civilization', they have problems coping with a comparatively staid, boring routine. This, in part, helps explain why some soldiers ask for another tour of duty (as in Vietnam). Also, some ex-soldiers will seek jobs in law enforcement, or other potentially dangerous jobs, to recreate the 'high' they got from their military service.

My recommendation would be to plan more 'big' training things for yourself: maybe do a century once a month (as your long ride), or include a brick run immediately after coming off the bike. Challenge yourself to improve that 5:50 time. Something that keeps the intensity up, but don't let yourself stagnate no matter what.

Incidentally, given all that we've heard recently about Iraq/Afghanistan (Pat Tillman), please keep the returning soldiers in mind. If you do know any personally, to help them return to 'civilization', let them know that you'll help them. These men and women will need a lot of emotional support as they return. They likely won't want to talk too much about what they've seen, but they will have just been separated from their friends/buddies, and they'll appreciate your concern and friendliness. (Sorry, I just happened to have a soap box sitting by the computer...)
2004-05-03 9:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, GA
I have also experienced this. In my case it seemed to go on for a week or two after my best training runs and rides.

Not sure how to help, only there to say I have felt that too. Good luck with it! Remember, God gave you a mind to allow you to overcome intangible problems.don't allow lack of motivation to keep you from going out there. You have to DECIDE to go. I believe that in a week or two things will turn around for you.

2004-05-04 12:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Great Pacific Northwest
I've had this happen too. I don't know why, but I do know it is often after I peak...have a GREAT workout or set of workouts where I've reached a new goal. It seems like I should be thrilled, and I am, but I find that the next day I'm feeling wonky. It is always over in a day so now I know to jus ride through it.
2004-05-04 8:51 AM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
I hear you, Steven--I think food is the first place I go when I'm feeling down. But I also think it's true that talking or e-talking(?) about feeling down gets me halfway out of my funk. Let us know how Monday went for you.

Dana

(Happy Birthday to your son!)

2004-05-04 9:18 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Catharines, Ontario
I'm a little mentally crashed right now. Sunday I pushed through a relitively long ride in the rain and froze. Last week I did two long runs when I have lately been lucky to get in one. This week I take it a little easier and try to up it a bit again next week. I have other things on my mind this week other than training aswell. A lot of the time two days off training in a row is all you need. Maybe it has something to do with being drained and not having enough carbs for your brain to work properly which is why we turn to food.
I know for a fact that if you up your training you need to bring it back down again before your higher milege or intesity can become your typical training.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mental Crash.... Rss Feed