General Discussion Triathlon Talk » newbie asking about apparel for mini-tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-03 11:15 AM

Subject: newbie asking about apparel for mini-tri
Yup, I am taking the plunge! My best friend and I are going to do our first Mini-Tri. This is the first race of any kind for me, I am excited, nervous, and quite frankly completely out of my league!

I am looking for suggestions on gear to wear. And where to purchase. The race just sent out an e-mail saying that we should seriously consider renting a wet suit for the water at 60 degrees...Is that really cold enough to wear a wetsuit?

I am training in T-shirt (which I just read... cotton kills!) and mesh lacrosse shorts. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

2004-05-03 12:02 PM
in reply to: #22578

User image

Subject: RE: newbie asking about apparel for mini-tri

If the water is 60 F I would wear a wetsuit, remember 60 in the water is very cold. How long is the swim? you said a mini-tri. so If it's not that long, I guess you could just take a chance without one, but you'll probably hyperventilate for a while.

2004-05-03 12:11 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Hi Heather!--

Welcome to the sport (evil chuckle--another convert!!)

As to apparel--I went very low-key for my first tri. No need to break the bank before you've even tested the waters.

This is what I bought for my first:

Good socks that would draw moisture away from my feet.
Some sort of NON-cotton shirt... drylete, whatever.
tri-shorts (which you will wear for all three disciplines)
I already had a good jogging bra and so-so shoes, and less than so-so bike--but I figured they would sustain me (and support me!!)

The total cost of this was about 65 dollars, but I knew that I would use those things for regular exercise, so it was a good inveestment (not the tri-shorts, but the other two.)

Oh... wait--I got a pair of $10.00 goggles as well.

I have never used a wetsuit (although I have painfully wished that I could, especially when the water was in the low sixties), but I'd rent. Don't rent just for the race day, though. Try to get in at least two practice runs with it. If the swim is super short... I'd probably just suck it up, but that's me and my penny-pinching self!!)

There's a lot of great equipment out there, but though much of it is fun and helpful, you CAN get along without it!!

I'm not sure, but there is probably an equipment list on the main website that you could take a look at!

Dana
2004-05-03 3:40 PM

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
Definitely a wetsuit for 60 degree water!! You will be rendered helpless trying to do anything other than dipping a toe into 60 deg water.
2004-05-03 6:16 PM

Thanks for the help! I will rent a wet suit. Problem is the race is 4 hours away, I'll have to give measurements over the phone...IF I error , should I error too large or too small?

Dana--I like the sports bra and T-shirt concept, Did you just have it ready with your bike and throw it on then? Buddy is wearing a Tankinie...I think shirt will do better for me.

The Tri shorts? Any idea what brand is best and most comfortable?

Thanks again
2004-05-03 6:24 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
I swam with the sports bra and tri-shorts on. If you are wearing a wetsuit, you would have them on underneath.

Then you have two options. Just pull on that non-cotton t-shirt over the bra and go!! Or if you want to shave off even more time, go for the singlet which is the same fabric as the shirt, but a tighter fit like a tank top and then you can wear it under your wetsuit.

Either way is fine. Putting on the t-shirt shouldn't add more than a few seconds. But yes, you plop it on your transition towel.

As I mentioned before, I have not yet worn a wetsuit, but everyone tells me that err on the small side. A baggy wetsuit is a horrible thing!! It'll create drag.

Dana :-)

2004-05-04 10:03 AM

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
For my first tri I didn't buy anything, and I swam in fairly cold water (probably 60s) without a wetsuit. I pulled on bike shorts over a one piece swimsuit and rode and ran in that.
2004-05-04 10:32 AM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
  • Definitely a wetsuit! You're going to freeze your butt off without a wetsuit. Does not have to be fancy. I borrowed my brother-in-law's wetsuit for my first triathlon. (I was later dismayed to find out he peed in wetsuit during an Ironman race!) YUCK.
  • I purchased a one piece IRON GIRL sleeveless tri-suit thingy for my first race. Wore the wetsuit over it. Peeled the wetsuit off after the swim, and was good to go for the rest of the race. This suit was one of the best things I ever purchased. Aside from being a cute hot-pink color on top, it was tight enough so I didn't have to wear a sport bra, or any other "undergarments" underneath... It's made of a wicking material, so it keeps the moisture away from your skin (as much as possible) and it dried fairly quickly. It also had a chamois pad for the bike part. (Very small unobtrusive padding...nothing bulky) The only problem... It's one piece, and if you need to go to the bathroom, (usually a porta pottie) it makes for a zip and peel nightmare.
  • I definitely recommend a tri suit. Something that can go from the swim to the bike to the run without alot of changing of clothes. (No adding or subtracting, except for the wetsuit)

Good Luck! You're gonna get hooked... I'm telling you... Can't wait to hear how you do!

2004-05-04 10:34 AM
in reply to: #22678

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
Tri shorts.... I have a pair of Sugoi power tri shorts that I LOVE!!!! I think they were about $50.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » newbie asking about apparel for mini-tri Rss Feed