General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Still learning... & a crazy story Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-01-11 4:37 PM

Subject: Still learning... & a crazy story
I am so amazed at how much stuff there is to know about doing a triathlon. I have so many questions I hope that I can have it all sorted out by my first event! I might change my mind and not wait until September either... there is a Philadelphia sprint triathlon in July (I think) which looks very doable and I think I can do it! The September tri is the Danskin sprint triathlon, and I'm planning on competing in the one at Sandy Hook, NJ. Two triathlons in one year? Hmmm... I think this personal goal of mine is EXACTLY the distraction I needed from full time school/wife/mom! I feel normal again, like I'm a real person and not a robot. It feels good to look forward to something so much!

My crazy story has to do with how I decided to go for it to begin with - my midwife is an amazing person. She is one of my greatest heroes - she saved my life and my son's life while I was in labor. She has become a lady near and dear to my heart! She is still my primary care provider, and so at my last check up she says to me "I am going to do a triathlon". I think my jaw hit the floor. Not only did she blurt it out, completely from no related conversation - but she doesn't look like the kind of person to do that sort of thing (although she acts like it! she's one of those "big things in small packages" kind of people!) - and she certainly has no extra time in her life to take away from her patients (whom she is 100% devoted to)...

but I just said "LUCKY! I have always wanted to do that myself!" I wondered to myself what the hell she was thinking. She said another patient of hers made her promise to do one with her, so she planned on it, and last August she did her first triathlon (the Danskin one last August in Sandy Hook, NJ). I was so proud of her!

Here is the kicker... she did not train one single minute for the triathlon - not ONE day did she even practice or condition herself! She made me promise to not tell anyone that she was doing it because her sister (who works for her in her practice) would not let her do it. I almost told on her just for her own safety! But she did it and doggon it she finished it! Imagine that - I was so proud of her, but still think that wasn't the best idea to jump into blind like that. But she said she was hooked from that one time and made me promise to do it with her this year That's how things began for me

Just thought I'd share! I also wanted to let you all know how much I appreciate your enthusiasm for the sport, and for helping me with my bra problems! The enthusiasm is highly contagious (in a good way of course!) and my boobs will be glad too LOL

I don't get a chance to post a lot but I scour the boards for information I'm like a sponge! I will keep my training log up to date as much as I can so I can hopefully learn from you personally Thanks again!
~Jackie~

2006-01-11 4:48 PM
in reply to: #321918

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Still learning... & a crazy story
Sure you can do two tris in a year.

Great story, but I wouldn't recommend the "no training just jump in" strategy. It doesn't work for most of us.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Still learning... & a crazy story Rss Feed