General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Broken cyclometer wires Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-03 8:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Great Pacific Northwest
Subject: Broken cyclometer wires

Okay I am going through cyclometers like CRAZY! My first one, a Bell, worked on and off so I wasn't too sorry to see it go. The computer wasn't tight in it's stand and as I was driving through a construction area one morning, I felt something hit my foot...the computer. The next day I noticed that the wire had also snapped.

Found a Cateye Mity 3 on sale at Amazon for $12.99 ($19 with shipping and tax) and thought "Sweet! Cheaper than the Bell and will take care of both problems." Used it for the first time this morning and it worked great. On the way home it wasn't working. After fiddling with the damn thing for about 15 minutes I noticed that the wire was broken! ACK! In two weeks I've paid TOO much for cyclometers, but I love the feedback!

Any tips on keeping the wires out of the way or any good cyclometers that are TRULY wireless but don't cost an arm and a leg?

I spliced the ends back together but I'm not sure of the calibration now. I guess I'll know if I can ride to work tomorrow since I know my general average pace and the distance.

At this point I'm tempted, for $19, to just buy another one just in case! At least the computer won't fall off. It snaps into the base.

2004-05-03 8:40 PM
in reply to: #22689

User image

Veteran
Sydney
Subject: RE: Broken cyclometer wires
If you cant fix the wire, you could always buy a new cable kit. ask any bike shop, if they dont have them in stock they should be able to order them in. It would be a shame to waste a perfectly good mity.
When you route the wire, start on the right fork, and zip tie it on the inside of the fork near the top, away from the tire. from here, leave a slight amount of slack, and wind the wire around the brake cable up to the handle bars. this keeps the cable out of the way and removes excess slack. If you want to use the sensor on the rear wheel (for the indoor trainer) electrical tape is good for keeping the wire safely against the frame until reaching the front brake cable.

I use the Echowell W2 (wireless) on my track bike, it works like a dream and cost me under AU$60 (less than a mity 3 @rrp)

"Echowell's top of the line W2 computer can take care of all the functions you need. Not only does it have twelve functions, and is wireless, it even reminds you to lube your chain."

Speed
Average speed
Maximum speed
Ride time
Clock
Trip distance
Total distance
Count down distance
Count down time
Waterproof case
Lubrication reminder
Maintenance reminder
Battery life of 2 years or 15,000 miles
Dual wheel size memory for two bikes
Additional mounting kits are available

Hope that helps,
aidan
2004-05-04 7:59 AM
in reply to: #22689

Champion
Subject: RE: Broken cyclometer wires
Here you go Tory; $29.95 at Bike Nashbar and it's wireless!! I have a Cat Eye wireless (that cost $50) and I love not having to route the wire down the fork blade. I mounted the unit to my aero bars with those plastic zip ties, mounted the magnet to the spoke and ties the sensor to the fork with zip ties and voila! Here's the link if you are interested:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=&subcategory=&brand=&sk...

Max
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Broken cyclometer wires Rss Feed