General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Run/walk interval question... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-01-18 11:55 AM

Veteran
Michigan
Subject: Run/walk interval question...

This has probably been asked before but I couldn't find anything.  I have been really frustrated with my running as far as speed and distance (lack of progress in both areas).  I recently picked up Jeff Galloway's book "Running: Getting Started".  I was surprised at how he advocates walking as part of training.  All this time I have been trying to eliminate walking from my training runs and he is saying to add more walking in.  Has anyone else read his book or is anyone else doing specific run/walk intervals?  I am debating between giving this method a shot or maybe trying heart rate training instead.  I have this mental block around walking being a "cop out" but maybe I just need to get past that. 

Any thoughts are appreciated!

2006-01-18 12:01 PM
in reply to: #326689

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Run/walk interval question...

Depends on what your goals are. If you want to run, then run. If you want to run with walk breaks, them do so. Neither is "better" than the other, but they are different.

I've run/walked several of my marathons, for me it's faster to run, and more satisfying. Your actual results may vary.

Wink

2006-01-18 12:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Ohio
I know several people who use the run 10 min/walk 1 min routine and it helps them a lot. I have one running partner who likes to take "wimpy walk breaks" (that's what he calls them). We tend to run fast at a relatively fast pace for 2 miles or so, and then we'll walk a couple of blocks before running again. I usually feel really strong after the walk break and I'm able to maintain a faster pace while we're running.

If you are running for fat loss, I have read many articles that recommend "interval training"---running/walking at different speeds (supposed to stimulate your metabolism or something like that). Also, there's a lot of articles that recommend varying the pace throughout your workout. Otherwise you get in a rut and never get any faster.
2006-01-18 12:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Canyon, TX
I have been run/walking for a couple of months now and it's working great. When I first started I would walk about 7 laps around the track and run 1. I'm now up to about 50/50. My usual workout is walk 2 laps for warmup, followed by jogging for a mile and a half (or about 15 minutes) then walking a couple of cool down laps. Occasionally, after the long run I'll walk a lap, then jog another lap at a fast pace (about a 2 minute quarter). I've lost ten pounds and my distance and endurance is getting a lot better.
2006-01-18 12:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Decatur, GA
I do the run/walk method. For me, it's invaluable at getting me to do longer distances. It might be mostly a mind game. But when I start getting tired, it's easier to think about running for 4 more minutes and then I get to walk than it is to think about running 4 more miles. I'm pretty slow to start with, and I'm just getting started with this running thing. I do 4 run/ 1 walk and it has not slowed down my overall pace significantly. I feel like I run stronger during those 4 minutes than if I tried to run continuosly.
2006-01-18 12:59 PM

User image

Buttercup

I have Galloway's "Marathon" book and have used his approach to become a distance runner. I've been running for only about 10 months (7 months seriously but inconsistently).

I don't worry about what's a copout or how others might perceive the run/walk. I'm a pragmatist. I do what works for me and Galloway works for me.

Find what works for you.

2006-01-18 1:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Washington DC
Both Galloway and Higdon recommend walk breaks - for faster runners the "walk" may be just slower run intervals to give your muscles a quick break from the constant running motion.

I find it very effective, but then I'm slow
2006-01-18 2:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Washington DC
The walk/run method may be a useful tool for a beginner increasing endurance.

Be careful, however, as most athletes run their basic endurance training at a pace that is too fast. Using walk breaks to allow yourself to run too fast will retard your progress, not help it. Don't try to train speed and endurance at the same time - do your endurance training at a VERY SLOW pace.

Ken
2006-01-18 6:49 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-01-18 7:10 PM

Champion
Sydney

Im using walk/run as well because I find my legs get uncomfortable before my fitness does but the walk break just loosens up the muscles and makes it more comfortable. My body is getting less uncomfortable and for me its just a matter of getting my body used to running in a safe and sensible fashion....

Im a complete non runner and the walk break mentally also gives me a break so I can stay out for much longer than if I just run. I eventually want to just run but until I can string together 30 minutes plus running without giving up and going home I will keep working on walk/run.

2006-01-18 8:04 PM

Master
Savannah,
I teach an outdoor power walking class (don't laugh!) and we do run intervals.  I think the reason this works for run training is all based on heart rate.  If you kept running and your hr stayed high, you'd be anaerobic.  But, if you add in walking intervals, it kind of keeps your hr in more of a training zone.  My advice would be to move from the walking intervals to a s-l-o-w, shuffling jog interval.....keep it in a manageable hr zone. 

2006-01-19 12:05 AM

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
I use run/walk intervals to build up to "real" running. I have half hour workouts, which started as run 2 min/walk 4, and now I'm at run 5 min/walk 2.5. I find it very helpful, because I can actually get my thirty minute workout in and not be thrashed at the end from pushing too hard. I also find that taking the walking breaks is good with HR training. Because I'm fairly slow, any intervals HR training I do involves lots of walking. I don't know, I think walking serves a good purpose. Human beings are biomechanically NOT designed to run, but are designed to walk. That is, we can walk almost forever, but have to train ourselves to run. Why not fall back into walking a bit?
2006-01-19 9:02 AM

Master
Boston
I'm a believer....this is coming from a non-runner here. Before I started using walk breaks, my longest run was about 30 mins...Now, I'm planning a 10 mile run this Saturday! It's amazing. Walking for a minute every 10 minutes works wonders for me. It allows my HR to come down a bit, it gives my legs a rest, and it helps me get through the run- I break up the long run into 10 minute intervals- so that way I'm just thinking- ok, get through 10 minutes and we'll walk for 1 minute. It might sound stupid, but it works for me!
2006-01-19 10:07 AM

Extreme Veteran
Provo, UT (my heart is in Seattle)
The run/walk is how I got back into running. It took me swallowing a huge slice of humble pie. I have never needed to walk while running, and I always saw that as a sign of inexperience or something. However, I am a huge proponent of it now. I can do long runs at decent paces now, but depending on the workout, I still may walk a little. If I do a really intense tempo run, for example, I will walk part of the recovery.
2006-01-19 12:22 PM

Veteran
Minnesota
I'm a huge fan . . . I just started exercising 2.5 years ago and couldn't run around the block without thinking I was going to die. Now in the past 4 months I have done one Ironman and 2 marathons (I know -- not really a good idea). My first marathon was 6 weeks after my IM and I foolishly thought that I could run the whole thing. I went out at a good clip and felt fantastic for the first 16 miles. Had my fastest half marathon time. Then I died. I really died. If it weren't for the kindness of two other races I would not have finished the race. My hamstrings and quads were killing me. I walked so slow those last 10 miles and I thought the end would never come. It took me at least 2 weeks to feel decent after that race.

Fast forward to my most recent marathon -- 4 days ago. My training was really off due to a broken wrist and I was looking at doing a repeat of my last race when my coach suggested that I run 10/walk 2 for the entire race. So I followed his advice and had the best 26.2 ever. It was really hard to walk after only 10 minutes, but I did it and felt excellent until mile 23. Walked a bit more for the next 2 miles and then ran it in. Post race I felt really good. Had some of the normally muscle soreness which was gone in two days. I didn't know that running a marathon could actually feel so good -- especially since going into this thing my longest run was only 12 miles. I will most certainly use a plan like this in my next Ironman. I think the key to using the Run/Walk system is having a plan and then sticking with it. While I really want to someday run an entire marathon, at least for now while I still feel like a newbie and especially when training does not go as planned, the Run/Walk is my best friend.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Run/walk interval question... Rss Feed