General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Flat tire on course? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-05 6:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Midcoast, Maine
Subject: Flat tire on course?
I know if I were racing I would definitely be bummed if I got a flat during a race. Even though it would be very discouraging I would definately go for the repair and salvage what was left of my time. Does everyone pack a tool kit on race day or do you just go for broke? I'm thinking of using my training kit of an extra tube, all in one and co2 inflater. At this stage in the level of my ability a few extra oz. won't make much of a difference. How does everyone else deal with this issue?

2004-05-05 8:02 AM
in reply to: #22962

Veteran
Keller, TX
Subject: RE: Flat tire on course?
I always carry a kit.  I never want to have to walk my bike in - it would be too embarrassing for him.
2004-05-05 8:30 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
I don't need much of a kit...two nylon tire irons and a spare tube in the back pocket of my jersey is all I pack. That, and my mini-pump which is strapped across my aero bar just beneath the elbow rests.

Edited by Machiavelo 2004-05-05 8:30 AM
2004-05-05 8:41 AM

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
Right now; pump, tire "irons", tube, tiny patch kit, 3 - way allen. Has only let me down when I had more flats than tubes. I sure hope that doesn't happen on race day. :-)
2004-05-05 12:25 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Absolutely carry a repair kit--but it doesn't have to be much. I've had a flat during a race--and you never know when it can happen to you!! :-)

Dana
2004-05-05 3:46 PM

User image

Regular
Seattle
Well, my first triathlon featured four flat tires, a dropped CO2 cartridge, a broken pump, and only 3 tubes.

My next triathlon will feature a much better prepared rider!

The skinny:
Borrowed a bike for the race. I was going to buy some extra tubes, but he already had three on the back that looked ok. I was going to bring a pump, but he had two CO2 cartridges, and I got all caught up in the "aerodynamics" thing - ie, a pump would slow me down by AT LEAST 10 seconds over the course of 112 miles. Therefore, best not to bring it (duh!)

Heard a CO2 catridge drop around mile 5, and then saw it roll away, but I figured no big deal. Hey, I've got another, and besides I'm going so fast I don't want to stop.

Got off for a stretch at mile 90, and noticed the rear tire was flat. Ok. I'll change it.... except the CO2 adapter was attached to the cartridge that fell 85 miles ago. (*&(*%^*&%

Ok, walked and rode (coasting) about a mile to the BIG hill on the course. Walked up the hill, where I found a few exhausted riders, one of whom gave me an adapter.

Put the adaptor on, but the second cartridge was empty, as in already used. Oops. Borrowed one from the guy, changed the tire, and went on my way.

A mile later, the tire was flat again. Double-(*&(*%^*&% !

Managed to flag down a rider who gave me her pump. Changed the tube again, this time checking carefully for something sharp inside. This tube didn't hold any air. Probably was old.

At this point, I put in the last tube, and start pumping. Pump breaks, but I can hold my fingers just so to get air in. Pumped up, I'm ready to go.

• .. another 200 yards until the tube goes flat again. Triple- (*&(*%^*&%

• So, I'm 92 miles into a 112 mile bike split, with no tubes and a broken pump.

Nothing else to do but ride the last 21 miles with the flat tire. I did, adding about 2 hours to my split, and killing my legs/gut/HR/body before even starting the run.

A bit painful of a way to learn 2 valuable lessons:

ALWAYS CHECK YOUR GEAR
    MAKE SURE YOU ARE PREPARED

Were my tubes bad before the race? (ie, old ones that he had changed and tied back on). Don't know.
    Were the CO2 cartridges already used? Don't know.
    Why did the cartridge fall out - was it properly stowed? Don't know.

Why didn't I carry a pump? Hey, I do know this one - because I'm an idiot!!!

Bottom line, until you are in a position where 10 ounces or .02 foot punds of wind resistance are going to keep you off the podium, make sure you have what you need.

For some, that's two tubes and a pump. Others prefer CO2. Whatever you do, make sure you have what you need, and you check your gear before leaving your bike in the morning.

I will be competing in my second iron-distance tri in about 2 weeks.
    Here's my plan:
    2 tubes in my seat bag (or seat bottle houlder, if I buy one)
    2 CO2 cartridges and an adaptor in my seat bag
    1 frame pump under my top tube
    1 Park multi-tool in my seat bag
    1 mini patch kit (3 glueless sticker patches and a piece of sandpaper)

1 tube and 1 CO2 cartridge in my bike special needs bag

I prefer CO2 cartridges for speed and better PSI (hard to break 80 psi with a hand pump), but will have the pump as a backup. I'll put a tube and an extra cartridge in the bike special needs bag (accessible at mile 56), in case I have an early flat - cuts a bit on weight/bulk, and gives me a chance to get them if I need them. Multi-tool is there in case something loosens, since I can't fix anything more serious. Patch kit in case something really wacky happens.

Bottom line is, I'm adding maybe 10-12 ounces of weight, but a HUGE piece of mind.

2004-05-05 4:20 PM

User image

Master
    Berkeley, CA
    Rich--

Felt like I was right with you! Although it was #*&^$ing ugly then, it sure was funny now!!

Live and learn, right?

Dana :-)
    2004-05-05 5:42 PM

User image

Veteran
    , Zurich
    That didn't happen to be IM Canada did it? I had 4 flats there in '97. After the 2nd, I waited in the rain in a ditch for 45 min. for the support car which gave me another.

Tip of the season....don't be in a hurry to change a flat that you don't inspect the tire for debris and take care for pinch flats, especially around the valve stem.

S.
    2004-05-05 5:52 PM

User image

Master
    Berkeley, CA
    Too true, Scott--

The flat before my last, I quickly fixed by replacing the tube as I had forgotten my patch kit. Within seconds the second tube popped because... I had a whole in the TIRE!

So there I was--sure, I had changed my tube in record time--but now I was tubeless, patchless, hopeless! Nice that there are lots of friendly triathletes out there. Someone tossed me their patch kit. Then I put a Clif Bar wrapper between tire and newly patched tube. Walla!

Dana
    2004-05-05 5:55 PM

User image

Regular
    Dallas, TX
    I'm totally embarassed that I'm asking this, but what is a tube? How do you carry all of the equipment to change the flat? Do I need to worry about flats for a sprint (13 mile bike)?

thanks.
    2004-05-05 6:13 PM

User image

Master
    Berkeley, CA
    Don't worry about it, Hillary!

This info is not true for some of the very, very expensive bicycle tires, but is true for most.

The tire is where the rubber meets the road. The tube is the inflatable rubber ring that is inside the tire. You inflate it with the valves...

Most people buy a little saddle that attaches beneath the bicycle seat. They can be about... $15 dollars. Inside of it, I keep the following for tire repair:

An extra tube (you can find out what size you need by taking your bike to a shop, or looking at your tire.)
    A patch kit--you can find instant seal ones...
    A lever (these are sold (normally) in a set of three, and help you remove the tire from the rim)
    An adapter. There are different kinds of valves out there, and I have one.... just in case
    I also have a pump attached to the frame of my bicycle.

Other repair things you could carry:
    CO2 cartridges (you can use these instead of hand pump to inflate your tire quickly--but as I'm not particularly competitive, these don't seem necessary)
    a multipurpose bike tool (with allen wrenches, screwdrivers, etc) for other kinds of repair

I think that's it. Lot's of local bike shops will host clinics on basic bike repair. (how to change a tire, how to put your chain back on, etc.)

Look around for such a thing. Very empowering!!

:-)

Dana

2004-05-06 5:59 AM

User image

Veteran
    , Zurich
    I like the Clif Bar wrapper repair...great idea!
    2004-05-06 1:23 PM

I am sure to try to look at the road periodically to avoid glass or other worrisome debris. I know this sounds simple, but have noticed that many riders do not do this. I am certainly spending the majority of my time looking ahead of me, but do glance down at any opportunity for such debris. This will not guarantee no flats, but can really help avoid some of them.

2004-05-06 1:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Midcoast, Maine
    Everyone, thank you very much! This discussion has been very informitive, I'll definitely be packing everything I need to deal with a flat, will not be leaving any thing to chance. ;-)
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Flat tire on course? Rss Feed