General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Indoor bike training (First tri) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-01-26 9:48 PM

New user

Subject: Indoor bike training (First tri)
Hi there - I am training up for my first Tri (st. anthony's; olympic distance -- which I'm told is mostly flat..).... If I have to do some bike sessions at the gym on a stationary, what's a good novice training pace that can compare with road training -- should I be watching for Level? RPMs? Watts? distance covered? THX!!!

2006-01-26 9:53 PM
in reply to: #332911

User image

over a barrier
Subject: RE: Indoor bike training (First tri)
I would start with time first. Try 20 mins and keep increasing....I'm not sure there is a correlation between level on a stat. bike and the road. Make sure you use a high enough level but dont kill yourself....
2006-01-26 9:54 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

nicolegoldin - 2006-01-26 8:48 PM Hi there - what's a good novice training pace that can compare with road training -- should I be watching for Level? RPMs? Watts? distance covered? THX!!!

That can probably be answered with a Yes, Yes, Yes, and Yes. 

I have an trainer for the road bike and use Spinerval dvd's that emphisize cadence (how fast you pedal) in addition to using a heart rate monitor.  It also says you can train by your "perceived effort" of how hard you are training (I find I think I'm working harder than I really am and use a heart rate monitor for feedback on effort). 

Whichever you choose to use to monitor your training find one you like best and stick to it.  Time In The Saddle is what's going to do it in the end.  Especially for beginners like us.

Stick to it and have fun.

2006-01-26 9:58 PM

Elite
Laurium, MI
First off congrats for taking up the sport and welcome to the site!

for trainer rides I'd be concentrating on HR zone and cadence. Find a resistance that you can spin 90 rpm or more and keep your HR in zone 2 for longer training rides. It would also be a good idea to do some interval training where you shoot for different HR zones each interval, or different cadences.

look at this article as well as some others in the Articles section

A lot of people will tell you that the most important thing is to just put a lot of time in the saddle. It is important, but a good aerobic sprinting stradegy is just as important and doing targeted workouts will help make you stronger and more efficient on the bike faster and better then just riding to put in miles.

Edited by vortmax 2006-01-26 9:58 PM
2006-01-26 10:18 PM
in reply to: #332918

New user

Thanks Matt! very helpful response...

I've done a few marathons (slowly) but never a tri - my friend convinced me to give it a go..

Okay - for the past couple weeks I've been hitting the stationary about twice a week for 45 mins, usually on 'level 5' with some 4/6 sessions..my RPM usually is about 95-100 and I cover about 16 miles or so in the time frame.. based on your note this seems okay for these first couple months training. I can hopefully start to pick up some outdoor rides on wknds...

I suppose my other biggest concern is translating 'posture'... hopefully once I'm mixing in more outdoor riding, that won't feel so funky..

anyway, thanks much again!

cheers,
nicole
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Indoor bike training (First tri) Rss Feed