General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Realistic Goal? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-01-28 5:05 PM

User image

Expert
The High Plains
Subject: Realistic Goal?

Some facts about me first:

1) I've been training for the past several months for the Tybee Island Marathon (my first) and, barring anything drastic happening (knock on wood (knock, knock)), will be running it next Saturday.

B) I am a goal oriented person. I find my motivation lacking when I'm not training for anything specfic.

iii) I will be out of the country for 3 weeks this summer on a vacation to Europe given to myself by me as a graduation present. This trip will see me maintaining some running, but will probably not see me doing any overseas races or further tri-training.

4) I am a part-time student and part-time employee.

Keeping all of this in mind, do y'all think it's feasible for me to use the Beginner 1/2 Iron training plan from BT.com for a race in early June? I've been following the Higdon Novice Marathon training plan for my run training and at the start of the plan wondered how I would ever find the time to commit to all of it, but have since realized that though difficult, it was very doable in terms of time commitment required. I've got one season of tris under my belt (2 sprints and 1 international distance) and should've done several more than I did.

The 1/2 Iron-distance plan requires 7-10 hours a week and claims that it is possible for a student/employee/family oriented person to successfully use the plan. I would have no other goal for the 1/2 Iron than just finishing, and the race I'm contemplating would fit quite nicely into my schedule, though I would be starting the plan a few weeks late. I fear that without running this race, I wouldn't be able to hit my goal for a 1/2 Iron in 2006 since I plan on starting grad school this fall.

Thoughts? Comments? Further questions?

Take care-

Steve

2006-01-28 5:26 PM
in reply to: #333959

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: RE: Realistic Goal?
Steven,

Looking at your logs I feel pretty confident you can do it with that program. Your Olympic was 15 minutes better than mine and your half marathon is 10 minutes quicker too. I didn't use the plan on this site but my hours were very similiar and I did my first one in 6:54 and then the 2nd one in 6:27. Your marathon base should have you in a great position for starting the program and having run that far you are probably ahead of the game. Good luck!
2006-01-28 5:32 PM
in reply to: #333959

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Realistic Goal?
In all seriousness, I'm wondering what your doubts are.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Realistic Goal? Rss Feed