General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bento box/fuel belt Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-01-31 12:27 PM

User image

Expert
San Diego
Subject: bento box/fuel belt
Do any of you have a Bento Box on your bike? If so how do you like it? Also, I am in the market for a Fuel Belt. Just curious as to what "bottlage" you all use or would recommend. I am thinking about the 4-banger and adding a gel flask. I don't think I need a 6 or 8 bottle belt. Anyone use a 6/8 bottle? What kind of advantages/disadvantages do you find. Of course the advantage is more readily available hydration, but I get the feeling I would just be carrying a lot of extra weight around.

2006-01-31 12:35 PM
in reply to: #335679

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: bento box/fuel belt
I just purchased the six bottle fuel belt and I really like it. I started with the revenge (I think - three bottles and a flask) but it was limiting the courses I could run as I had to make sure that around the 1 hour mark I was going by my house to refuel. With the six bottle, I can go for up to 2 hours without pit stops. I've also used it with fewer bottles and it works well for this.

I don't find that the weight is an issue - it seems heavy if you fill the bottles and put it on but after wearing it for about a minute I don't even notice.

Shane

Edited by gsmacleod 2006-01-31 12:37 PM
2006-01-31 12:38 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
I too have a 6 bottle fuel belt. I thought it would be heavy, but it's not. Plus it never hurts to have a little extra weight that you can take off before you race. :P

I tend not to drink as much as I should, but my training partner sure likes the fact that I carry so much fluids. Plus since I have 6 bottles, I generally split them up between gel water and pure water. It helps when you have choices when you're out in the middle of nowhere. Plus the little carry case lets you put gel in there.
2006-01-31 1:35 PM

User image

Expert
The High Plains

I bought a 6 bottle Fuel Belt at the start of my Marathon training and have loved it.  Where I do my long runs there aren't any water fountains and I wanted to be able to train with what I'll run the race with.  Normally I run with 5oz. of Gatorade Endurance forumula in each bottle, topped off with 1 oz water and stuff the pocket with the required number of gels I've calculated I'll need.

SR 

2006-01-31 2:00 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
my wife and i both have a bento box. She never takes her off her bike and lord knows what you might find in there. I only use mine in long races but it is a handy little storage device.
2006-01-31 2:06 PM
in reply to: #335762

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
sranney - 2006-01-31 1:35 PM

I bought a 6 bottle Fuel Belt at the start of my Marathon training and have loved it.  Where I do my long runs there aren't any water fountains and I wanted to be able to train with what I'll run the race with.  Normally I run with 5oz. of Gatorade Endurance forumula in each bottle, topped off with 1 oz water and stuff the pocket with the required number of gels I've calculated I'll need.

SR 

Do you take the gels with the Gatorade Endurance?

2006-01-31 2:38 PM
in reply to: #335796

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
I also bought mine for my marathon training - 6 bottle model.

I would fill them each with Vitamin Water Perform (two bottles of that would fill all the bottles - each holds close to 7 oz.). I could keep my car key and a few Accel gels in there as well. I trained that way ...... should have used it in the marathon as well since I knew it worked, but didn't want to be bogged down with it. After about 14 or 15 miles it starts to get annoying.

I am planning on racing the 1/2 mary I'm doing in March with it on and fill only 4 bottles and have a few gels. I am going for time and still have issues trying to drink out of a cup while at a solid running pace but have no problem "squirting" with the Fuel Belt bottles. This race will give me a sense of whether or not I go for it and use it in my HIM.
2006-01-31 3:17 PM

User image

Expert
acton, Ma

I have a 4-bottle fuel belt with a place for gels.  It has served me well in 1/2 mary training as well as in races.

2006-01-31 4:30 PM

User image

Expert
MD
Check out my review from last year at the link:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

I use a 4-bottle fuel belt, but I purchased an extra set of the 10-oz fuel belt bottles (a little larger than the standard 7-oz bottles) that I use on my longer runs. I use the 7 oz bottles on shorter runs or in cooler weather when I need less hydration.

I added a gel flask holder to the 4-bottle belt and it works fine. I was able to carry 40 oz accelerade and 5 servings of Hammer Gel for a full marathon and it worked well. I'd recommend this setup.

I also use a bento box on my bike to carry power bars and a gel flask on long bike rides. Along with my 2 large bottles, this is enough capacity to carry fuel for up to 60-70 miles for me. Only problem with the bento box is that it can lead to the side, and on occasion when I'm out of the saddle, my leg hits it. Kind of annoying, but no big deal. Better than a big wicker basket with a Hello Kitty flower on it to hold stuff. That's what my daughter picked out for me.

2006-01-31 4:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lufkin (East Texas)
6 bottle model Fuel Belt for me. I just have the standard 7 oz bottles, but I did buy and extra "pocket" to carry more gels. Since I run trails here, there isn't anywhere to get water, unless I want to drink it out of the creek. I've never had a problem with the belt while running, including my long runs now that are hitting 16+ miles. I do rotate the empty bottles to the back to take some weight off my lower back, but I think it's more of a mental thing than anything I really notice.

I had a Bento box as well, but replaced it last year before IMAZ with a similar item from All3Sports. It's a little longer than a Bento and tapered towards the back. I had trouble always hitting the Bento if it started leaning; not so with this one. Plus, it holds more without looking to bulky.

Edited by devo27 2006-01-31 4:38 PM
2006-01-31 6:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
I use a Bento for IM distance race... my advice... make sure you get the largest they make... it will still be very small but at least you will have enough storage to put more than one powerbar or 2 gu packets. IMO, the small Bento is too small for any practical use... if your going to take only a powerbar or 2 gu packets...you might as well put them in a pocket and forgo the bento box. IMO, Bento box needs to be large or not at all...

I've use a few different fuel belts in the past... can't remember their brand names... but, the key different between the belts are two fold...

How much they hold and how they feel when you run.

The best choice is velcro closure type... they can be adjusted while on the run with very little effort. The buckle closure kind are good for short races but are difficult to adjust on the fly.

The brand I found best is the T3 fuel Belt. The only setback is that the water bottle is difficult to remove... but, that is easily fixed by simple loosen the velcro and turn the bottle to the front and pull it out easily... then rotate the bottle back to the back when finished. Lots of room... I recommend this belt for IM distance races (or half IM). Perhaps the biggest disadvantage is the size and weight... but, nothing flops around and it holds large bottles of water easily as well as an assortment of gu packets/bottles or bars.

For Oly distances I prefer the lighter Nathan fuel belt... the wattle bottle is held in by a elastic... this means the water bottle should be smaller so there won't be any bound... but, it's waaaay easier to access the back water bottle than the T3 Fuel Belt. It's smaller and lighter than the T3 Fuel Belt.

For Sprint distances I don't wear a belt.

I've used other fuel belts, but found them to be not as practical, cheap or material is too stiff. And, I have never like the gel holder fuel belts. Gels typically make me sick.... it seems I'm allergic to the preservatives they use in the gels.

FWIW Joe Moya

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bento box/fuel belt Rss Feed