General Discussion Triathlon Talk » FWD Angled Seat Post Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-02-03 12:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands
Subject: FWD Angled Seat Post

My bike has a 73degree seat tube, I am considering buying an angled seat post - the reason - I read that the angle should be closer to 78degrees.

Will this make my time in the aerobars more comfortable? I haven't had a good bike fitting (nor do I have the option of having this done).

Also, would I need to change the stem for a longer one?

Can a change in bike geometry yield noticeable improvements for a 1st 1/2IM.

TIA 

2006-02-03 12:33 PM
in reply to: #338235

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: FWD Angled Seat Post
Noticeable difference? Not sure unless you have a back to back comparison (which would be almost impossible to do).

You would need to ride a lot in the new position to allow your body to acclimatize itself to the position before you raced or changing anything out will not be effective.

The problems with trying to make a road bike into tri/TT bike geometry are numerous and have been discussed a lot here and online. I personally would not recommend going with the laid forward post until you were at the point physically where you felt your progress/speed/run adaptation were being compromised by the road bike position.

There are plenty of people out there who never get a tri bike and/or more radical TT geometry that do very well.

Mantra ........ ride lots ..........
2006-02-03 1:12 PM
in reply to: #338254

Elite
Laurium, MI
it can be done. Cervelo does it (or trys to) with their seat posts, altho it's not that big of a swing.

I found this while bike shopping and found it rather interesting:

And now something about the "fitting".
Usually on the properly designed or selected bike there is no need for extensive and tiring search for a better position on that bike.

Moving some parts of the bike back and forth, or up and down - will not help if you are stuck with the incorrect frame!

Some "manufacturers" however, suggest you to change the Seat Tube angle by "custom aero seatpost that can be adjusted to suit seat position of 74-79 degrees with the simple flip of the head". Does that mean that your arms will get shorter while you are switching your position into "more aero"? What about your proper position on the rest of the bike?

Well, maybe there is no magic in "conveniently" flipping the seat post head after all. It's more likely that it is CHEAPER for them to offer you a "custom" seat post imported from Taiwan or China - rather than making 16 completely different geometries in 76 and 78 degrees Seat Tube Angle

- http://www.yaquiusa.com/main.html

so basicly, it will put you into the steeper seat tube angle, but your top tube length is now not going to be the "same" as before as well as other aspects of the geometry.

Edited by vortmax 2006-02-03 1:16 PM
2006-02-03 2:32 PM
in reply to: #338235

User image

Master
I have been thinking about this same question for quite a while and what I concluded was that I should ride my road bike as a road bike in the first HIM and if I can afford it buy a real TT bike for my first IM. Millions of people around the world ride 100+ miles in a day on a traditional road frame. Look at profesional tour riders. They ride a 100 mile day in nearly the same time I can drive it in traffic! All the reading and reaserch I have done says it works but not really well.
2006-02-03 3:13 PM
in reply to: #338348

Extreme Veteran
San Clemente, California
I bought a Profile Designs Fast Forward seat post for my bike that started with about a 74 degree STA, and it gave me nearly 80 degrees. I personally LOVE it. Gave me alot more power and comfort for longer rides. Handling decreases a bit as you put your weight more forward, but you can play with the seat position and find the right mix.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » FWD Angled Seat Post Rss Feed