General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Total Immersion Swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-10 12:23 PM

Subject: Total Immersion Swimming
I need to swim 1/2 mile in open water by mid July and I haven't been swimming in over 15 years. I read the book Total Immersion, thank you Malvey your articles are great, and I tried the first drill this morning. Pressing your buoy.
I think I did it right, but I had a hard time keeping my butt and legs just below the surface. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
How far should I be able to comfortably swim in a pool to complete a 1/2 mile open water swim?

Any thoughts are welcome.

2004-05-10 12:28 PM
in reply to: #23960

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: RE: Total Immersion Swimming
Tri-girl,Welcome to the site. Disclaimmer: I'm no expert, but you should swim at least 1000m comfortably preferably without having to stop before you swim a 1/2 mile in open water. But more importantly you should be comfortable with your freestyle or other stroke and survival stroke so that if something happens - say you get accidently kicked in the head, or grabbed - you feel strong enough not to drown! Meaning you should be so comfortable in your stroke that no matter what happens you feel good that you can get to shore without panicking! That means lots of pool time, mostly to get used to the water. Good luck! What tri are you doing? Ovetta.
2004-05-12 8:17 AM

Hammond, La

Actually your buttocks should feel the cool air on them as you swim, this means they should just be out of the water when you press your bouy correctly.

NOGILLS

2004-05-12 1:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa

Welcome Shari - couple of things - if you are finding yourself sinking a bit and not making a lot of forward progress with the balance and sweet spot drills - use fins so you can get the stroke down. Also - if you are near open water or can get to it - practice as much as you can - open water is a whole different ball game than the pool. 1/2 mile in the pool and then trying it in open water was a real shocker for me.

And - do you plan to have a wetsuit - my "panic stroke" is simply to be able to "lay there" in my Xterra wetsuit.

2004-05-12 2:36 PM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
That is clearly my problem! When I wear the fins (and I promise I don't kick at all, ever), I go sooooooooo much faster through the water! I'm still taking 20-22 strokes to get across the pool, but my time goes from 35 seconds to 21. As an example, we did two 30 minute timed swims in swim class. For the first, I only managed to do 37 laps, without fins. For the second, I wore the fins and was able to go 46 laps! Both were done with an easy pace and little or no need for recovery. All this leads me to believe that I'm dragging my legs through the water.

Edited by madkat 2004-05-12 2:37 PM
2004-05-12 2:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Belize
I'm glad you started this thread because I had no idea what you meant by "pressing your bouy" and I have a similar problem keeping my legs and butt from sinking. But thanks to Google I found the answer at http://members.tripod.com/~breastroker/presbuoy.htm

According to Terry Laughlin, you need to use your head as a counter weight while pressing your bouy. This should prevent your legs and butt from sinking.

Here's exactly what the article says:

"Finally you add some counterweight to the sinking tendency of the hips and legs, by using the head. Your body in water is really a teeter-totter with it's fulcrum somewhere between your waist and your sternum. The longer heavier end naturally wants to sink. Your head, if kept connected via the head-spine line to the hips will act as an effective counterweight. In order to use it this way you have to avoid lifting your head to breathe."

I hope that helps. Now I can't wait to go try this myself.

2004-05-12 3:34 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
Actually, Laughlin and TI have recently abandoned the term "pressing your buoy". I always did find that confusing and not very helpful. Don't worry too much about that first drill either (I believe you are referring to the kicking on your front, and breathing to the front?). TI has also abandoned that drill as it is very difficult for beginners.
Mainly, it is important to work on the balance drills. These will help you in a race SO much more than just trying to keep up in a masters workout. Zoomers are good- as long as you're not relying on them to go faster.
A half mile is about 34 lengths in a 25 yard pool. Try to work up to this distance without stopping. Start with mostly doing the TI drills and gradually work in more and more swimming.
You should be fine!

Good luck!
Kevin
2004-05-14 12:08 PM
in reply to: #24482

Thanks for the insight. The water temperature will be between 66 - 73 degrees F. Will I need a wetsuit for that temperature? Also, I have a bodygolve wetsuit I use for water skiing in the summner. It has short sleeves and is cut off just above the knee. Will that work? One more question. I'm already registered for my first tri in July, but there is a local tri in June that offers the option of a 300m swim in open water or a pool. (I'll need a wetsuit if I do the open water.) Should I go for the open water to gain experience or try the pool? I'm not a very good swimmer right now, but I am reading TI and I'm swimming 5 days a week for 40-50 min to get ready.

I know this is a lot to ask, but just looking for an opinion from an experienced trier.

thanks,
tri-girl
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Total Immersion Swimming Rss Feed