General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Run routes at Disney World? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-02-08 11:26 AM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Subject: Run routes at Disney World?
I'm going to Disney World!

I'm supposed to be working though as my employer will be sending me to a conference held in some of the hotels there. My half marathon training program calls for about a 9 mile run that weekend. I'll want to find a couple shorter runs too while I'm there but the hotel website says they have a 1 mile jogging trail so I can loop that a few times if I have to. Can anyone suggest a nice 8 to 10 mile route nearby or within reasonable public transport distance? Are there any nearby areas to avoid? I've been zooming in on the region with the satelite photos and maps on sites like MapMyRun.com, but any local input would be appreciated. Thanks.

2006-02-08 12:00 PM
in reply to: #341482

Pro
Andover
Subject: RE: Run routes at Disney World?
Which hotel are you staying at and/or is the conf being held?

Edited by CptnJackSparrow 2006-02-08 12:00 PM
2006-02-08 12:13 PM
in reply to: #341511

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
So far it looks like most of the conference sessions I'm looking at will be at the Yacht Club Resort and the Swan & Dolphin. The list of hotels for the conference included those and some others. We're staying at the Port Orleans, French Quarter.
2006-02-08 12:43 PM
in reply to: #341482

User image

Veteran
Oak Park, IL
Bronze member

As a Disney afficianado, I can tell you that short runs there are great but it's tough to find a long run route, as most of the WDW resort does not have sidwalks.  Two thoughts:

- If you want to run by the Yacht & Beach/Swan & Dolphin, you can actually run a loop around Yacht & Beach and Boardwalk (about .8 miles) and then continue on the path to MGM Studios (probably another mile or so).  You can run this loop for a while and it's a pretty run, but crowded in the afternoon/evening.

- If you're staying at Port Orleans, I would suggest taking WDW transportation (there's a boat) to Old Key West or Saratoga Springs.  There is a beautiful running path that connects OKW and SS to Downtown Disney.  From DD you can actually snake out onto the sidewalks in the area.  When we were there in November, my husband was training for the Disney marathon and used this route for his long run.  Exact distances will be hard to find, so you might have to use time instead.

Hope this helps.  Have fun and good luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Run routes at Disney World? Rss Feed