Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Kids refuse to raise money by selling candies Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2006-02-10 12:57 PM

User image

Master
A Prairie Home
Subject: Kids refuse to raise money by selling candies
And got a donation from Atkins' widow

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,,-5600588,00.html

Go kids go! Now if they would only stop eating Lunchables...

2006-02-10 1:28 PM
in reply to: #343145

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
Subject: RE: Kids refuse to raise money by selling candies

I don't care for the way they use the kids to raise money.  I may get flamed for this, but it's just wrong to me.  I don't criticize the people who put a lot of work into doing it because I know they work hard and are volunteers, but I don't think they should be asked to do it in the first place.  I understand the schools need the money (although I could rant about where are my taxes going???!!!).  Anything like this that comes up for my kids we just pay the amount they are looking for and be done with it.  Much less stressful for all involved that way.

2006-02-10 1:36 PM
in reply to: #343171

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
hangloose - 2006-02-10 1:28 PM

I don't care for the way they use the kids to raise money.  I may get flamed for this, but it's just wrong to me.  I don't criticize the people who put a lot of work into doing it because I know they work hard and are volunteers, but I don't think they should be asked to do it in the first place.  I understand the schools need the money (although I could rant about where are my taxes going???!!!).  Anything like this that comes up for my kids we just pay the amount they are looking for and be done with it.  Much less stressful for all involved that way.

This was for a field trip to Washington. What would you tell the parents of the kids who are not as blessed as you, and can't afford to pay for the trip for their kid?

2006-02-10 2:10 PM
in reply to: #343182

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
the bear - 2006-02-10 1:36 PM

As I said, I don't criticize other people for their involvement.  I should have specified I was not trying to preach to anyone else how they should handle their own situation - only stating my thoughts for my family on the matter.  As for being "fortunate", I am, but not as much as it might appear from my post.  I make a living but my wife is a stay-at-home mom and things are always tight.  If I couldn't afford the trip for one of my kids they would not be going.  I'd probably find some way to sacrifice something of my own to come up with the scratch for them to go. 

To specifically answer your question, I'd ask them how many candy bars I get for $5?

I realize I've typed my response in the middle of the "quote" but I don't want to retype it all.  Sorry.

This was for a field trip to Washington. What would you tell the parents of the kids who are not as blessed as you, and can't afford to pay for the trip for their kid?

2006-02-10 2:30 PM
in reply to: #343171

User image

Master
State of Confusion

I'm not going to flame you. I agree with you! Every stinkin' season both my kids come home with a new fundrasier. And let me tell you, it's not the kids that are doing the selling! It's the parents. I refuse to do it anymore. I toss the fundrasier packets in the recycle bin. Every kid in the neighborhood is selling the same stuff so you don't want to hit up your neighbors. Family members get sick of buying junk food and junk knick-knacks they don't need. I won't ask my family members for anymore money unless it's to donate to Game Club (a non-profit I started). And the selling got so out of hand at my husband's company that there is now a company policy that prohibits selling in the work place. We just passed a hefty levy to replace the old levy that funds the schools which means we pay more property taxes which means I'm not forkin' over anymore money and I'm not askin' anyone else to either.

There...I've said my piece. Rant over.
2006-02-10 2:37 PM

User image

Master
A Prairie Home
Uh-oh what have I done!? Heated debate has started because of me.

2006-02-10 2:38 PM

User image

Master
State of Confusion
the bear - 2006-02-10 1:36 PM
p>

Instead of selling candy etc. they could do something more interesting, like a silent auction or something. Kids at a local middle school hired themselves out for babysitting or other "mother's helpers" tasks to raise money for a band trip. (To Washington DC no less.) The girl's dance/drill team holds a summer dance camp for younger kids to raise money for special trips or competitions. A big rummage sale. When both my kids were preschoolers I was involved in a mom's group and we held a big rummage,"buck-a-roo" sale where everything was $1.00. We made $2-3K every year. There are just other ways to go about raising money than having the kids (ahem, parents) sell candy. (Though one could argue the stuff at a rummage sale is junk.)
2006-02-10 2:50 PM

Elite
Livingston, MT
the bear - 2006-02-10 10:36 AM

How important is it really for kids to go to Washington? If you are poor and can't afford it, sucks to be you. Such is life.

2006-02-10 3:08 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

If you read my other post carefully it is not contradictory for me to say this.  I think it is an important trip.  Important for where you go, what you see/learn, and the time in your life that it occurs.  I still my remember mine and I can't remember most of college.

It may be more important for the kids you are writing off to go than for those that can easily afford it.  Don't ask me to prove that, I said it may be.  Just a thought.

2006-02-10 3:33 PM

Veteran
Michigan

I believe the point of the article that Denise provided was lost in this thread so I wanted to mention it.  The kids were refusing to participate in the fundraiser because it involved selling unhealthy products - and the Atkins lady rewarded them by kicking in some money.  Just wanted to point that out.

As for using kids to raise funds, I have a bit of personal insight (and a strong opinion on this topic) - sorry if I go off the original topic.  I am on the board of the PTA for my children's school and I am very active in the PTA.  I know how much money is raised through our PTA and how the money is put to extremely good use (materials for the classrooms, enrichment programs, computer and media equiment, recognition for teachers and staff, etc.).  I hear a lot of parents complaining about the fundraising.  It is NEVER a parent who is involved in the PTA or the school at all - and they never offer to participate or come up with alternatives.  I take that back.  The one "solution" they offer is "Why can't we just skip all these fundraisers and write a check?".  It's a nice thought but I read an article in a parenting magazine about this issue.  A few schools did try that idea - and guess what percentage of families actually came through and wrote a check...less then 25%!!!

Anway, I understand that people have the right to complain about things.  I appreciate those who complain and then get involved in understanding and solving the problem.

Done venting...

2006-02-10 3:39 PM
in reply to: #343253

Veteran
Michigan
ChuckyFinster - 2006-02-10 3:50 PM
the bear - 2006-02-10 10:36 AM This was for a field trip to Washington. What would you tell the parents of the kids who are not as blessed as you, and can't afford to pay for the trip for their kid?

How important is it really for kids to go to Washington? If you are poor and can't afford it, sucks to be you. Such is life.

Did he really just say that?  If you are poor, you should rightfully be denied the same educational opportunities as someone who has more money?  I won't even address the "sucks to be you" part.

Nah, I am sure I am misinterpreting this....

2006-02-10 3:57 PM
in reply to: #343272

Elite
Livingston, MT
hangloose - 2006-02-10 12:08 PM

If you read my other post carefully it is not contradictory for me to say this. I think it is an important trip. Important for where you go, what you see/learn, and the time in your life that it occurs. I still my remember mine and I can't remember most of college.

It may be more important for the kids you are writing off to go than for those that can easily afford it. Don't ask me to prove that, I said it may be. Just a thought.

I think we see things differently. A vacation in Washington to me is not an important event for my children to experience. Would it be nice for them to go? Sure. But important? Not a chance.

Why stop at a trip to Washington? Why not send them to Athens, Rome, London, Paris, Madrid, etc.? They are equally important trips that a formative child should take right?

My son is reading "The Prince" right now. Eighty pages of truly valuable information. Does he need to hold an original text to comprehend the importance I have placed on it? Of course not.

2006-02-10 4:04 PM
in reply to: #343306

Elite
Livingston, MT
kimta - 2006-02-10 12:39 PM

Did he really just say that? If you are poor, you should rightfully be denied the same educational opportunities as someone who has more money? I won't even address the "sucks to be you" part. Nah, I am sure I am misinterpreting this....

No you read it clear as day. If you are poor, it sucks to be you. That pretty much sums it up. Would you like me soften it up a bit? How about "Darn, I'm sorry for those poor little children with losers for parents, something should really be done about that." Was that better?

Do you have to see the Declaration of Independence in person in order to read it?
Do you have to see the Washington Monument to understand his importance?
Do you have to see the Lincoln Memorial to understand his importance?
Do you have to see the Capital Building to understand its function?
Do you have to see the White House to understand its purpose?

2006-02-10 4:08 PM
in reply to: #343336

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

ChuckyFinster - 2006-02-10 4:04 PM Do you have to see the Declaration of Independence in person in order to read it? Do you have to see the Washington Monument to understand his importance? Do you have to see the Lincoln Memorial to understand his importance? Do you have to see the Capital Building to understand its function? Do you have to see the White House to understand its purpose?

No, but it helps.

Edited by the bear 2006-02-10 4:08 PM
2006-02-10 4:13 PM
in reply to: #343325

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

ChuckyFinster - 2006-02-10 3:57 PM Why stop at a trip to Washington? Why not send them to Athens, Rome, London, Paris, Madrid, etc.? They are equally important trips that a formative child should take right? 

Disagree strongly with the above but that's another issue. 

On the financial issue, all you've done is said it sucks to be poor.  Duh, that's really going out on a limb.  If kids can participate in a fundraiser to pay for their trip are you opposed to that?  

Heh, look at me now backing the fundraisers.  See Bear?  I told you I wasn't against it for the people who do participate in it, just that I prefer to handle it another way.  I am a complicated man. 

2006-02-10 4:27 PM
in reply to: #343349

Elite
Laurium, MI

i've been to washington a few times.  What do I remember out of all the trips I've been there?  Mostly the good resteraunts we visited (the capital hill club has wonderfull lobster Bisque!).  Oh and I got to sit in the Chief Justice's chair in the supreme court and shoot hoops in the upstairs basketball court.

I don't blame the kids for refusing to sell that crap.  Fund raiser candy is the worst ever.  It's usually old and stale anyway.  Now my school used to do a fundraiser where we sold frozen pizza's and frozen cookie dough.  Now that was quality fundraiser stuff 

2006-02-10 4:31 PM
in reply to: #343342

User image

Master
The real USC, in the ghetto of LA
the bear - 2006-02-10 4:08 PM

ChuckyFinster - 2006-02-10 4:04 PM Do you have to see the Declaration of Independence in person in order to read it? Do you have to see the Washington Monument to understand his importance? Do you have to see the Lincoln Memorial to understand his importance? Do you have to see the Capital Building to understand its function? Do you have to see the White House to understand its purpose?

No, but it helps.

no wonder i suck at spelling. i am a disadvantage child. never been to washington Dc or even my state capital. sucks to be me!
2006-02-10 4:32 PM
in reply to: #343253

Veteran
Eilat, Israel

Regarding everything Chuckyfinster said- I strongly disagree.  I remember my 5th grade field trip to D.C.  It helped inspire and motivated me to learn more and better appreciate the country I lived in.   The remark about poor kids parents being losers, all  can say is it reminds me of a quote my dad once told me-"Don't ever judge those with little money- judge those with money- they have the priveledge and opportunity others don't.  Some people use the priveledge to make a difference- others to make foolish comments.

2006-02-10 4:40 PM

User image

Champion

So poor=losers now?

Wow. 

2006-02-10 4:48 PM
in reply to: #343367

Elite
Livingston, MT
DerekL - 2006-02-10 1:40 PM

So poor=losers now?

Wow.

No, just their parents.

2006-02-10 5:06 PM
in reply to: #343336

Veteran
Michigan

ChuckyFinster - 2006-02-10 5:04 PM
kimta - 2006-02-10 12:39 PM Did he really just say that? If you are poor, you should rightfully be denied the same educational opportunities as someone who has more money? I won't even address the "sucks to be you" part. Nah, I am sure I am misinterpreting this....
No you read it clear as day. If you are poor, it sucks to be you. That pretty much sums it up. Would you like me soften it up a bit? How about "Darn, I'm sorry for those poor little children with losers for parents, something should really be done about that." Was that better? Do you have to see the Declaration of Independence in person in order to read it? Do you have to see the Washington Monument to understand his importance? Do you have to see the Lincoln Memorial to understand his importance? Do you have to see the Capital Building to understand its function? Do you have to see the White House to understand its purpose?

Actually, this did not answer my question but that's ok.  I just read your statement that all parents who are poor are losers and that's enough for me thank you.

2006-02-10 7:49 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Might as well weigh in, but to be fair, I'll be away from the computer most of the weekend.

Kids participating in fundraisers for specific opportunities is great. It can provide a sense of self-accomplishment and gives them a vested interest in the result.

Fundraisers because "we've always done them"are bad. I've had this discussion with at least 3 PTO/PTA organizations. Teacher recognition, fine, but I have challenged the PTO officers to think of things this way: Would it motivate the students to sell (whatever) so the proceeds can buy teacher gifts/.../.../...? If not, then don't! (Teachers were not thrilled at that question.) Too many organizations are doing too many fundraisers with no real purpose!

ChuckyFinster has a point, and it is the basis for capitalism. People with more resources get more opportunities. That is what motivates people to get more (usually money). If I want cable TV, I either sacrifice something else, or work to earn enough to add that to the budget. No, children don't usually get to choose their parents, and some children don't reach much potential because they are saddled with truly bad parents.

Finally, rich fools redistribute much of their inherited wealth to those less fortunate. It may not happen fast enough for some, but most people willing to work hard, be honest, and have compassion for others usually do OK!

2006-02-10 9:20 PM
in reply to: #343306

Elite
Livingston, MT
kimta - 2006-02-10 12:39 PM

If you are poor, you should rightfully be denied the same educational opportunities as someone who has more money?

Of course, what world do you live in where this is not the case? More money = more opportunity. This is a fact of life. I'm surprised you are just scratching your head over this truth. Surely you are not saying that the child of an illegal immigrant whose parents work the cabbage fields for sixteen hours out of the day, should be able to go to an elite private school... on somebody else's dime?

Answered your question with a question.

2006-02-10 9:40 PM

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South

My kid is in Boy scouts.  They don't sell popcorn or candy or cookies or anything.  What their troop does is unique- they have this huge circus style tent that they rent out.  IT's in the yellow pages and all.  When it's set up to be rented out, the boys who show up to unload it from the shed/load it on the truck/go to the site/set it up/ and then reverse it again a few days later get a certain amount of money which is tallied up.  At summer camp time, the money-cash- is given to the boys to use for whatever they want.  It paid for his summer camp trip to the Jamboree last summer and then some.  

The other major thing they do is work for tips at the Church's Lenten Fish Fry.  They serve food (prepared by the Mens Club) and clear tables. 

ta-dah!  The parent's dont do anything except supervise those boys! And drive, of course.

2006-02-11 6:15 AM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin

That's it, christine (lucy)! your son DOES something. Kid (and TNT!) fundraising should be about earning the money, and selling shite is not earning.  car washes, yard work etc, errands, etc. when a kid comes to my door to sell candy, I try and find a chore and pay em gobs to do it. a) the get to earn it, and b) I get a job done and don't have to have no stinkin candy/popcorn/magazine I'll never read, etc lying around.

I think it sucks that children should pay for their parents' bad luck, or even, bad choices.  Washington DC may not be an essential part of education in your mind, but being part of the class, not feeling left behind or less than, learning to budget and earn money (earning money to pay for things is a huge self esteem builder)  all that is really important beyond just what you learn in Washington. 

I think it sucks to read "you're poor? sucks to be you."  Sucks to live in a country where that is the attitude, sucks to read that on BT, a community where it is nothing to drop $$ on toys and gear while little kids are whored out selling crap... grrr. it's early and I am not thinking yet, but what a sad sad thread that started out interesting. 

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Kids refuse to raise money by selling candies Rss Feed  

of 3