General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Brainstorming a triathlon coaching business name/website Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2006-05-21 3:21 PM
in reply to: #344752

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: RE: Brainstorming a triathlon coaching business name/website
I think you've got a great idea here. Can't wait to see your web page up and running. Good luck launching your business; I might be calling on you one of these days.

2006-05-21 4:37 PM

Master
Congrats Joel!
2006-05-21 4:55 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

I think Sisu is a really cool concept for multisport athletes and it sounds like a good name overall.  As a web address, I think you might run into the problem that it may be hard for people to spell.  One of the biggest things with business websites is that you want them to be short, memorable, and easy to spell.  I can see people spelling it "Sizu", "Sizo", etc.  I would also try to avoid having hyphens in a web address.  It's a lot easier to give the web address without hyphens and people will be more likely to get it right without them.  Just some things to keep in mind.

Good luck!  It sounds like you are really excited about this and it seems like it's reallly your passion.  I hope it goes really well for you. 

2006-05-21 5:19 PM
in reply to: #429456

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
I prefer the look of the hyphenated version but you're right, it's best to not do stuff like that if possible.  I may register both SisuMultisport.com and Sisu-Multisport.com and have one re-direct to the other.
2006-05-22 2:01 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA

Congrats on your certification! How are you feeling these days?

2006-05-22 3:30 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Joel,

Although I'm a pretty poor slow awful mediocre triathlete, I did work as a teaching tennis pro for a while right after I finished college.  And in my business career I've advised a lot of start-up companies, helping them put together and execute their business plans.

To offer some comments & constructive criticism (in no particular order):

• Sorry, but "SISU" doesn't really do much for me. My first impression would be that it's an obscure anacronim for something, particularly if it's in all caps.  It's not a "strong sounding" word in English.  In my experience, it doesn't help when you have to keep explaining to your perspective clients what your name means.     
  • Have you defined your target markets?  With most coaches I've known, the elite clients establish the reputation, but the grassroots (i.e., beginners) clients pay the bills. 
  • Getting certifications is definitely a good thing.  USAT Level I would be a necessity to establish a minimum level of credibility.
  •  Have you considered linking up with one of the established coaching franchises like Friel or Carmichael?  My local coach is a Friel Associate, which certainly helps with his marketing and credibility.
  • Organizing as a business enity is good for the reasons mentioned above.  Don't know about the specific laws in VA, but in FL organizing as a LLC is the easiest and least complicated route.
  • Even if you start part-time, make sure you keep separate books for your business.  Never intermingle your personal and business finances.
  • Find a business mentor or advisor.  SCORE is a great resource for small businesses. 
  • Consider linking up with a related, but non-competing business such as a LBS or local health club/gym/YMCA.  This can help you to tap into an already-established client base.  For example, gyms that hire golf pros to do specific golf strength & flexibility classes.  Our local YMCA brings in outside coaches a couple times a year to do Beginning Triathlon classes.   

HTH,

Mark

2006-05-22 3:54 PM

User image

Champion
The Green Between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
SISU....from start to Finnish.
2006-05-22 5:08 PM
in reply to: #430657

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA

I appreciate your input Mark. I'll try to give you my thoughts below.

RedCorvette - 2006-05-22 4:30 PM

Joel,

Although I'm a pretty poor slow awful mediocre triathlete, I did work as a teaching tennis pro for a while right after I finished college. And in my business career I've advised a lot of start-up companies, helping them put together and execute their business plans.

To offer some comments & constructive criticism (in no particular order):

• Sorry, but "SISU" doesn't really do much for me. My first impression would be that it's an obscure anacronim for something, particularly if it's in all caps. It's not a "strong sounding" word in English. In my experience, it doesn't help when you have to keep explaining to your perspective clients what your name means.

I understand...SISU/Sisu doesn't mean anything to anyone at first sight. I'm more interested in something that has a meaning to me and that fits my personality and the image that I want to project as a coach/athlete. I'm not looking to bring people in because seeing my company name gets theri attention directly. I'm not particularly interested in pulling random clients off the street. I'd prefer to build my client base on word of muth and my reputatation as a knowledgable coach with a passion for the sport. While this may not have people beating down my door, that's the way I'd prefer it. Once people chack out my web site and learn the meaning behind Sisu I think it'll really stick with them.

• Have you defined your target markets? With most coaches I've known, the elite clients establish the reputation, but the grassroots (i.e., beginners) clients pay the bills.

I'm open to coaching athletes of all abilities but I'd like to specialize in novices and folks looking to move up to the longer distances. I think that novices have the most potential to be rewarding clients for me personally. Taking someone who maybe battled their way through a sprint or Oly race and building them into an IM finisher...that's what excites me. Sure, it's be great to coach an elite level triathlete but we're talking maybe cutting a couple min off their IM PR or something. To me it just doesn't compare to helping someone achieve what they once thought was impossible.

• Getting certifications is definitely a good thing. USAT Level I would be a necessity to establish a minimum level of credibility.

I've got USAT Level I in the bag. I'm working on USA Cycling Level III and planning to get my CSCS certificate within the next year or so. I also have Total Immersion instructor certification, FIST certification, and USAT official on my list. Depending on how things go over the next couple years I'm considering going back to school for another degree...exercise physiology or something similar.

• Have you considered linking up with one of the established coaching franchises like Friel or Carmichael? My local coach is a Friel Associate, which certainly helps with his marketing and credibility.

I've looked very briefly at a couple of those and I might consider it at some point. Right now I'd just like to get some experience and a bit more education. I'm not interested in loading up with clients so the marketing aspect isn't really that important. As for credibility, I guess it helps for people who just randomly stumble across me but like I said before, I'm looking to build my client base from word of mouth and my reputation from places like BT and my local triathlon shop.

• Organizing as a business enity is good for the reasons mentioned above. Don't know about the specific laws in VA, but in FL organizing as a LLC is the easiest and least complicated route.

I haven't looked into this yeat but I need to. Not sure what the difference is between LLC and Inc or what is involved with either.

• Even if you start part-time, make sure you keep separate books for your business. Never intermingle your personal and business finances.

Good advice. I'm going to look into opening up a small business account at my bank. I'm planning to buy some equipment like a CompuTrainer and some testing gear so I expect to show a loss for the first few years.

• Find a business mentor or advisor. SCORE is a great resource for small businesses.
  • Consider linking up with a related, but non-competing business such as a LBS or local health club/gym/YMCA. This can help you to tap into an already-established client base. For example, gyms that hire golf pros to do specific golf strength & flexibility classes. Our local YMCA brings in outside coaches a couple times a year to do Beginning Triathlon classes.
I've got a good local triathlon shop that I train with a lot and I'm actually coaching one of their employees. Once I get better established I'll consider talking with a few of the local biking and running shops...probably for next season.

2006-05-22 6:08 PM

User image

Montana
Did you read the E-myth yet? From reading your posts again I can recall chapters of the book that reflect just what you are talking about- the pitfalls of determining your name and image, structure of small business...I only bring it up again because I know so many business people that gained from reading it-when I read it there were many moments of "aha...if only I had forseen this issue sooner"

my $.02
2006-05-22 7:25 PM
in reply to: #430767

Master

blackbettybambalam - 2006-05-22 7:08 PM Did you read the E-myth yet? From reading your posts again I can recall chapters of the book that reflect just what you are talking about- the pitfalls of determining your name and image, structure of small business...I only bring it up again because I know so many business people that gained from reading it-when I read it there were many moments of "aha...if only I had forseen this issue sooner" my $.02

Awesome book

2006-05-22 7:30 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
No, I haven't read it yet but I guess I should.  While I'm sure it will help me in some respects I have the feeling that it may not be completely applicable to what I'm trying to do.  I love triathlon, training, learning, racing, and helping other people realize their potential.  That's all I really want to do.  If I happen to be able to make a bit of money for doing it then that's a bonus.  The business is really secondary to me at this point as long as I'm doing something I enjoy.  But I guess if reading this book can help me develop the business side of coaching then I suppose it's worth checking out.

2006-05-23 2:29 PM

User image

Montana
Don't want to beat a dead horse here but this applies to so many people, like yourself, that start a business doing what they love.

See, I'm an architect. I love design, detailing, creativity, producing what my clients want but cannot create for themselves. I love everything about architecture. These qualities will help me be good at my job, which makes my employer happy. This does not make me in any way prepared to start a business of architecture. Architects are notoriously bad business people. We want to design more, and the budget goes out the window, the client fires me and my business folds.

I don't own stock in the publication of the "E-myth" or anything, I just remember how helpful it was to read a business book that didn't drone on about...business. I tell every new business person I meet to read it. The topics help you to seperate WHAT your business is from HOW you will run it.

I think you will be very successful in your venture-your knowledge about training and sport in general has been incredibly helpful for me and others as we read your posts and I thank you for that. Just tryn' to help, if you pick one book about business to read...E-myth.
Good luck to you!
2006-05-23 2:49 PM

User image

Runner
I think you're underestimating marketing and overestimating word of mouth. Having been a partner in a small business (that ended up failing), word of mouth is great. But you cannot rely on it. At all. Not one bit. People talk more about bad experiences than good ones.

Beyond that, it's good to do what makes you happy and have a passion for. However, you do still have bills to pay. Keep that in mind as well, especially when you decide to focus on this full-time.
2006-05-23 6:11 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Point taken.  It's never a bad idea to get more educated.  For the moment though I have a full time job that pays the bills but I actually enjoy coaching.  One day I might be able to transition to coaching to pay the bills and having some business sense will come in handy.  Maybe I'm just hesitant to add another book to the stak of 8 sitting on my desk waiting to be read
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Brainstorming a triathlon coaching business name/website Rss Feed  

of 3