General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ladies -- A bike discomfort question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-02-20 1:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Victoria, BC
Subject: Ladies -- A bike discomfort question

I'm pretty new to road cycling, and have just started to get back into cycling this season.  Whenever I ride my road bike, I have INTENSE soft tissue pain that starts about 20 minutes into the session gets worse and worse until the end.  The pain and soreness even last for a couple of days!!  I've never had this problem on my mountain bike.  Sure, if I haven't ridden for a while, my butt bones ache, but eventually the butt toughens up and I don't feel it anymore.  But on my road bike, it always hurts.

My question is, can soft tissue just "get used to it" like your bum can, or do I have a saddle/bike fit issue?  I have swapped my saddle 3 times with no real improvement.  The only way that I can pedal comfortably once I get going is to keep the resistance high enough so that I'm able to use my legs to take some of the pressure off my girly parts.  I usually ride on the hoods and sometimes in the drops, if that is of importance.

I'm just getting a little frustrated with this.  An accident kept me from cycling much last summer when my road bike was brand new, but I was having this problem then too.  What gives?

Edited to add: I did have my bike professionally fit at a good shop at the time of purchase.  They have been great about swapping saddles with me, but beyond that, all the men who work there are really unable to help.

Edited by element 2006-02-20 1:23 PM

2006-02-20 1:44 PM
in reply to: #350159

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South
Subject: RE: Ladies -- A bike discomfort question

are you sitting with your pelvis tilted? don't.

Butt butt'r.  It helps me.

I'm more comfy in my tri shorts than my bike shorts.   

2006-02-20 1:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle
nothing fun about that problem. Have you considered that it might be a clothing problem? I have had some bad experiences, erroneously thinking "It's a short ride, I don't have to wear my padded shorts." Yikes! The combination of sweat and chafing were terrible. This might sound gross, but for me the best way to go is the bike shorts sans underwear. Less friction, more absorbtion... and hey, as a bonus, no VPL.
2006-02-20 1:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Victoria, BC

Do you mean does my pelvis tilt down towards the ground?  It does just kind of naturally point down when I am on the hoods so that my hands can reach them.  How do you keep your pelvis pointing forward while letting your torso extend?  Is it a core strength thing?  Or a seat height thing?

2006-02-20 1:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Joplin, Missouri

Yes, time in the saddle does help.  Although, saddle type does make a huge difference in that 'area'. 

I have found the perfect saddle for me- it's the Selle Italia Lady TransAm ($75 in Colorado Cyclist). I even told my husband I think I'll buy 2 more to keep in stock cause by the time I need a new one, they probably won't make them anymore- or they'll change.  And I just love this seat.

Everybody's body is different- some LBS let you try saddles before you buy'em.  Does your have the cut out?

2006-02-20 1:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Victoria, BC

I always cycle in (nice) bike shorts with a womens-specific chamois, and always sans-undies of course!!  I hadn't considered the possibility of too much padding.  Perhaps I should try some tri shorts.  The funny thing is, none of these things bother me on a mountain bike.  I realize the body position is very different, but you'd think annoying shorts wouold be annoying shorts regardless of the bike.

For clarification, the problem is not chafing so much as a ton of pressure on some very sensitive parts.

2006-02-20 1:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Kalamazoo, MI
I agree with wearing less-padded shorts on a road bike. Whenever I'm mountain biking, I prefer normal cycling shorts but found that I was more comfortable wearing tri shorts on my road bike...

Just another $.02
2006-02-20 1:55 PM

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South

aw, crap, won't let me copy and paste, so here's a linkie to a picture:

http://www.floridabicyclesports.com/systemone.htm

try tilting the seat down just a notch, that seems to help some too.

2006-02-20 2:00 PM

User image

I agree - I think it's an issue of seat tilt. If you don't have the problem on your MTB, then it's related to your position on the bike.

I know that the first couple of rides in the season leave me a little bruised on my sit bones, but no soft tissue pain. I'd talk to the bike shop and see if they can lower your seat angle a bit... it may just be pointing up too much?

2006-02-20 2:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Victoria, BC
My saddle doesn't have a cut-out.  I tried one with a cut-out, but it was actually worse!  My LBS does let me try out saddles, but they only had 4 women's saddles in stock and I tried them all.  Is it worth trying a men's saddle?  Perhaps I should try a different shop...
2006-02-20 2:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Victoria, BC

Wow this is some quick posting! :-)

I will try adjusting the seat tilt again too.  I did try that, and I found that pointing it forward didn't help the pain and actually created another problem -- too much weight going to my arms and causing pain there.  Maybe I just tilted it too much.  Maybe I should get out the plumb bob and try moving it forward a bit?

What a pain this is (no pun intended)!  I'd love to just get on my bike and go forever, but I just caaaaaan't.  Waaa waaa waaa. ;-)

2006-02-20 2:15 PM

User image

St. Louis, MO
When I switched from a hybrid to a road bike, I had this problem, and it sucks. For me, it was a tilt issue. A very teeny teeny tiny change in tilt (downward) corrected the problem for me - unless I spent significant time in the drops. I need some tweaking done, so back to the bike shop I go for a fitting too. Do you have a lady at your LBS? She might be able to provide more insight. Or even try another LBS to find someone who might have some real life experience with this that you can at least talk with.
2006-02-20 2:59 PM

User image

Rochester, NY

I was having problems sitting on my new road bike until one day I realized it didn't hurt anymore. I think it was more the position I was sitting in than any acclimation of my parts to that particular saddle. Since I specifically noticed the lack of discomfort in that position, I tried to figure out what exactly was going on down there. I figured out that the posterior portion of the seat was placed in between my buns in the perineum area, and my pubic bone was resting on the front part of the seat. Since there was some convex curvature to the seat, my sensitive parts were essentially lifted above the seat and weren't even really touching. I do find when I sit more upright, I get too much pressure on my butt, and when I rotate my pelvis forward too much, I get too much pressure on my pubic bone. But in between feels right.

Now I haven't taken this new road bike on anything longer than a 30-mile ride, so I don't know how it will stand up for longer rides. 

2006-02-20 3:24 PM

User image

Master
Savannah,
My problem is the opposite, my mtn bike gives me terrible problems, my road bike is like heaven.  The difference for me is the bike fit.  On the mtn bike I am reaching too far forward and instead of being on my sit bones, I am well....too far forward.  I have a Terry Butterfly seat (thanks bt girls) and use tons of body glide. Good luck, nooooo fun.
2006-02-20 5:29 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I wish you luck in trying to figure out what is going on.

For me it was a new seat....Terry Tri Butterfly which has a cut out and tilting the nose of my saddle down a little and for longer rides I use body glide or chamois butt'r. When I first bought my road bike, it was awful and so uncomfortable.

I think fit is key and how the seat matches up to your body. Four seats is not a lot to try from from your LBS. I turned to BT for help as the the guys a my LBS didn't get my issue. Terry offers a month money back guarentee if the seat doesn't work for you.

Great bike shorts make a huge difference as well. I called Team Estrogen and spoke to them about the variety of bike shorts they carried. I have heard over and over the more you pay for bike shorts really makes a difference.  They are not padded more but more contoured to your body....if you look at the chamois they look very high tech.  I ended up with two favorite pairs both around $80 Shebeest and a Louis Garneau pair but the Shebeest are best.  When I feel flush with money I'm going to buy one of the $125+ pair since I'm going to be doing 80 mile rides this summer in training for the bike portion of a 1/2 IM with my BT women friends.

Good Luck~

2006-02-20 5:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Victoria, BC
Thanks so much for all of the suggestions.  I've emailed a (hopefully) good resource for bike fit help, and I'm going to look for a shop that sells Terry saddles near me.  It's true though -- the guys at my shop just do not understand my pain!  Ow!

2006-02-20 6:00 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
all great suggestions listed above. on longer rides, i can have problems. last season i switched to a terry butterfly tri saddle and that helped. using different shorts seems to help too. i know some people who use valseline to avoid chaffing, but i've been using elite ozone chamois protect cream and it works really well.
2006-02-20 9:21 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
I don't have particularly narrow hips, but for me, a men's saddle is actually more comfortable. The women's saddles I have tried are wider (naturally), and put way too much pressure on my ischial tuberosities (the sit bones). I find that a narrower mens saddle distributes the weight all along the pudental canal (the area between the ischial tuberosities) evenly without "hotspots" on the girlie parts or the sit bones.

Other notes: I find my tri shorts more comfortable than my expensive pearl izumi padded bike shorts. Also, the for/aft position of your seat should be pretty much measured out and set regardless of the seat or comfort of the seat. There are some "rules" for where it should be, but there is probalby a comfortable range too. However, this is independant of the seat fit or tilt, and should nto be messed with in an effort to make an ill sitting saddle more comfortable. Hope that helps.

Edited by AdventureBear 2006-02-20 9:25 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ladies -- A bike discomfort question Rss Feed