General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ever an advantage to NOT being aero? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-02-23 8:27 AM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
Subject: Ever an advantage to NOT being aero?

Apparently, the winds at last year's Athens YMCA Sprint were pretty bad, so I got to wondering...  Is there ever a point at which being in an aero position is less favorable than sitting more upright?

For example, if the winds are blowing 25-30 mph from behind you, would be be better served by sitting up in the saddle and being a 'sail'?

How do the aerodynamics work?  Does the extra 'push' from behind offset the turbulence from the more upright position?  If so, how does one know when the winds are strong enough for this?  Is it whenever the winds are higher than your average speed, or do the winds need to be some degree higher than that?

2006-02-23 8:55 AM
in reply to: #352784

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
Subject: RE: Ever an advantage to NOT being aero?
I have no scientific evidence to back it up, but if I don't feel a breeze as I'm riding, I sit up. I've never had this happen on flats. On some hills, though, when I know the wind is behind me, I'll sit up for that reason.
2006-02-23 9:30 AM
in reply to: #352807

Elite
Laurium, MI

i think we argued discussed this point a while back, may want to search the forum.

I think we came to the conclusion that yes it would benifit, but your ground speed would have to be less then the wind speed.  So if you are cranking out 23 mph and the tail wind is only 15 mph, then you are actually seeing a 8 mph head wind, and the aero position would be prudent still.  Also if you ever did see a wind speed high enough for it make a big difference, the sections you have to ride into it or with it as a cross wind would slow you down a hell of a lot more then you would gain from it as a tail wind.

that being said, I've done some club rides, inlcuding a half century, in 30 mph winds.  This was in flatsville Indiana where a long stretch of the ride was straight into the wind, a short section was cross wind and a long section was with a tail wind.  With the head wind I was lucky to pull 14 mph but with the tail wind we were cranking out about 25 mph.  Now this was on standard road bars and no aero position.

2006-02-23 10:30 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

From what our TNT cycling coach has said, a prime time not to be in aero position is when you are climbing a hill ... insomuch as you want to open your upper body up in order to take in more air.

My aerobars purchased from All3Sports 3 weeks ago are still sitting in the brown paper bag I walked out of the store with, so I'd take that with a grain of salt.

2006-02-23 10:44 AM

User image

Expert
Sarnia, Ontario
From what I understand, the biggest disadvantage to aero is when there are lots of tight or high speed turns, and hills.
2006-02-23 10:53 AM
in reply to: #352908

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Since there are only a handful of people in the world who can really maintain a true fully aero position for extended periods of time, then there must be an advantage to "not" being aero.

As was said, if you are climbing (and not on a false flat or above 15-ish mph), doing a technical descent, or have a VERY strong tailwind, then getting out of the aero position is not a bad thing. It will not hinder your performance, and may increase the breathing capacity in some things and definitely safety factor in others.

2006-02-23 10:56 AM
in reply to: #352921

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Daremo - 2006-02-23 10:53 AM Since there are only a handful of people in the world who can really maintain a true fully aero position for extended periods of time, then there must be an advantage to "not" being aero.

What the heck does this mean?  Anybody with a proper fit and who works on it should be able to maintain an aero position for an extended period of time.  What is "true fully aero"?

2006-02-23 10:59 AM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

In my opinion ( I have no real data to abck this up) being in an aero position will be most avantageous when the main resistance to your going forward is drag, ie. at high speed on a straight course on flat ground.

After that, other factors come into play like steep hills and tight corners. You'll probably climb faster sitting up in some cases because gravity is a bigger limiter of forward speed than is drag.

As for a tailwind, I still think that drag is a bigger limiter than the wind push is a propelling force.  I don't think that sitting up in a non-climbing/non-technical situation is ever gong to be advantageous over staying as aero as possible.

2006-02-23 1:07 PM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
JohnnyKay - 2006-02-23 11:56 AM
What the heck does this mean? Anybody with a proper fit and who works on it should be able to maintain an aero position for an extended period of time. What is "true fully aero"?

"Properly fitted" and "trully fully aero" are completely different.

Someone fitted to their bike means that they have been set-up so that they can comfortably ride on their bike in the most efficient way possible. This does NOT mean they are in an efficient and fast aero position.

True full on aero positions (read - pro level cyclist TT positions) are VERY uncomfortable and not practical as they sacrifice everything for the split second differences. If you need to be able to maintain 30 - 32 mph for a 60k TT then you will do whatever it takes in the wind tunnel to get that position right. And any slight variation in your riding style from those sessions will lose you time. The average Joe and Jane athlete cannot maintain this type of position ....... most pros barely can. It takes hundreds of miles riding exactly like that to be able to even do a 35 mile race.

Look at it this way. A top multisport athlete is more concerned with being as fast and efficient as possible on the bike while maintaining their strength for the run. That's why the averages barely creep over 25 mph for their TT times.

A top pro cyclist is only concerned about being fast, that's it. So THEY develop the truly aero positions. And maintain 32 mph or so.
2006-02-23 1:45 PM
in reply to: #353081

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

OK, I agree with that as long as you are defining "true fully aero" to mean the most aerodymanic position possible irregardless of comfort. 

But for our purposes here, comfort & aero should not be mutually exclusive.  Especially since we're generally riding a bike without any UCI restrictions (as part of the discomfort comes from riders moving forward onto the tip of their saddle--ouch Surprised--to get more forward than they are allowed to set up the bike).  A "proper fit" for a triathlete ought to allow for a fairly aero position that is comfortable enough to maintain for a long time (not many 112mi TT's for the pros) and still maintain power.  And as triathletes are essentially always riding TT, they should be able to put enough time in the saddle to maintain a pretty aero position.

As for top triathletes, most of them are not top cyclists so aero or not they will lag the pros.  And they go slower in part because they just swam hard and still have to run hard.  Many of them could go faster if they were just going to ride a TT (though only a few could come anywhere close to hanging with pro cyclists).  Certainly this also causes them to have to balance aero and comfort to a greater degree than a pro cyclist.

They're different sports.  I guess I just don't like your definition. Laughing

2006-02-23 2:02 PM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
All true, all true .... As we both have said, for a multi-sport athlete it is about balancing the speed with the ability to save.

But I'll just throw out there that (back in the day) even I as a lowly Cat. 3 could usually post 24 - 25 mph TT averages in 40k events. And that is typically what the Oly. pros do in their draft-legal races. Luke Bell put the smack down and did a 25.7-ish average at Eagleman last year. I'd love to see some pics of his position as that is more than respectable in a cyclists eyes.

I guess that is where my quandry lies. When I break out the Transition after my 1/2 mary. next weekend and start to get down and dirty setting up my position, do I set it up as I normally would for a TT event, or do I set it up for something more along the "comfort aero" position? Knowing me I'll probably have it set up fairly aggressive and see how it goes. I tend to like the word "fast" better than I do the word "comfortable."

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ever an advantage to NOT being aero? Rss Feed