General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » My introduction & how to get started training? Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-10-27 7:17 AM

Subject: My introduction & how to get started training?
I recently shot a documentary (I'm a cinematographer) on 2 marvelous athletes (Rick & Dick Hoyt) at the Ironman in Kona.I am a pretty fit person (or at least I thought I was until I started hanging around Triathaletes!)

Now I want to start training to do my 1st triathalon. Someone suggested for the winter to do "base training". High volume, less intensity. What exactly does this mean?

Any suggestions, comments are appreciated. B.T.W. I am 46 yrs old, I am an avid whitewater kayaker and like I said before thought I was in good shape...

Thanks,

Joe

2003-10-27 11:43 AM
in reply to: #1438

User image

Regular
Lakewood, CO
Subject: RE: My introduction & how to get started training?
Hello,

I am going to start writing as an editor in the running section for this site in November. I have been running for may years and tri-ing for 3. You will find great info here on how to get started.
Need to start concentrating on being able to complete the distances in the 3 sports confortably. Add intensity, intervals and speed work later, closer to race day.

Will your documentary be shown somewhere on TV? I usually don't like the coverage of NBC. It's not sport anymore, but a search for human "tragedy" and sensation all the time. I would enjoy seeing another prospective.

Good Luck,

Enrico in CO
Runner, triathlete and ACE Certified Personal Trainer
2003-10-27 3:13 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member

if u don't do any of the 3 sports now but relatively in good shape, start with running 3x/week at 20min...increase by <10%/week with a rest week of 30-50% decrease a month.  get up to ~5-6miles on your long run and hold it for a month (the 'base').  u can also phase in swim and bike similiarly when u feel ready - don't wanna overwhlem yourself.  that's just my version of a base...there r many others.  some good pointers on the main site at 'getting started'

u will also want to determine a distance u want to shoot for and set a goal so u know what mileage u need to be at and by when.

if any ?'s, don't hesitate to ask.  lot of runners on this board who can offer more assistance on the base than myself.  oh yeah....get fitted for a good pair of shoes...don't be cheap in this area.

2003-10-27 8:26 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Team Hoyt, what an inspiration! No wonder you are wanting to do a triathlon.

Still Tri'n
Michael
2003-10-28 3:14 PM

Thanks for the tips. Yes, the documentary will be shown on TV, but I have no info at this time. When I do, I'll let you know!

Joe

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » My introduction & how to get started training? Rss Feed