General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Using Clipless Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-14 11:40 PM

Veteran
South Orange, NJ
Subject: Using Clipless
Bought the Shimano SPD-SL and Shimano Shoes. I hate to admit it but am definately having problems getting used to them. The guy who did the install told me I should only be releasing from the clips at the bottom of the pedal, or when my left or right leg is at full extension, (not quite full but at the bottom of its revolution). Is this the way its supposed to be done? I think I may have an easier time releasing at the top of the revolution. Any suggestions? How long should it take to get used to these? I'm really nervous about venturing out onto the road, my falls so far have been on the grass and man they hurt.

2004-05-14 11:49 PM
in reply to: #25089

Subject: RE: Using Clipless
release at the bottom so it's a short drop to the ground. I'm assuming it's a matter of stability. I'm not sure that there is anything too sharp on the pedal, but it's possible to scrap your leg if there is.
2004-05-15 12:07 AM

I didn't know you were supposed to clip out from the top. I have always, by instinct, clicked out while my dominant foot was on the top. Then I stand up on the opposite foot, which is then at the bottom, brake, and gently lean and place my dominant foot on the ground. Be careful in how fast this is done, because if it's wet, your foot will slide right out from underneath you and you'll taste asphalt.

If you have a trainer, I'd recommend practicing clipping out and in while riding it. You'll gain more confidence because you can't fall over.
2004-05-15 8:39 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
I've been  messing around with my clipless pedals (I have Look - I think they are pretty similar to Shimano) for a while now.  I had been trying to unclip at the top, which I found to be unusually difficult and was concerned that I'd never be able to use the pedals.  Then, by chance, and on the trainer, I tried it at the bottom.  What a difference!  I think I've finally figured out my problem!  I had been really afraid to go back on the road (or in my driveway) because I've wiped out a LOT.  Now I think I can actually do it.  Try both ways and see what happens.  Hold onto the wall in your garage or something else (telephone pole?) and see what you think.
2004-05-15 7:24 PM

User image

Master
New Jersey
I went clipless for the first time recently with my new bike and had the usual concerns. But the salesman didn't even mention anything about where you foot is when you release. His key hint though, was when you're anticipating a potential stop, release BOTH feet, then come to a stop. It's worked fine for me so far. And I usual do both feet at the same time, so I don't think where you foot is really is an issue. Although, I'm thinking that I usually have both feet even - meaning one at 3:00 and one at 9:00.
2004-05-16 12:19 AM
in reply to: #25158

User image

Veteran
Sydney
I tend to release my foot at the top of the stroke, so i can still stand and balance on the opposite pedal at the bottom of the stroke. Its further to the ground, but its more stable and less sketchy.
I dont know about unclipping both feet while your still moving, you dont have the same control over the bike and if in the off chance you may NEED to not stop and clip back in (eg: traffic lights, with a car behind you), it is ALOT harder to do so with the cranks spinning freely.
But if it works for you with no problems, i suppose you could always say if it aint broke dont fix it.

.::aidan::.

2004-05-16 8:10 AM

Regular
Lancaster Pa
Ok, so the big question is... have you fallen yet while clipped in? That's the worst! Especially when you see it coming and try to get out and can't! All you can do is laugh and watch the bruises come out over the next few days! Good Luck! :-)
2004-05-18 12:43 PM

New user
North Carolina
I like to release at the bottom but get comforatable with both since you never know what will come up. I have some old Time cleats that even after several years are still hard to get in and out of. Before a ride I take a bar of soap and rub over the shoe cleat and pedal. It makes it easier to enter and exit.
2004-05-18 1:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
PR
I unclip with the foot on top, most of the time with the right foot. I don't know how you all unclip on bottom. You need to be almost standing with the opposite foot, and if you are uncliping down, all your weight is on that foot.

Well, I guess everybody is different...
2004-05-18 2:05 PM
in reply to: #25202

Ashland, Ma
Ok I feel a lot better now......bought my first road bike in anticipation of attempting my first tri sometime a year from now.....got the whole deal shoes clipless pedals got it fitted and basic trainer practice in store....took it home jumped on clipped in went twenty yardsand crashed at the end of my driveway.......laughed, bled a bit, assessed damage more to me than bike, got back on went a hundred yards and crashed again.......I am still waiting for th ebike to come back from the shop with new handle bars.....happened four days ago and the bruises are nice and purple now...............feels good to know that I am not the only one bumped and battered................
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Using Clipless Rss Feed