General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you "have" to have a HRM? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-15 8:02 AM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Do you "have" to have a HRM?
I havent had a HRM to this point in my training, mostly because I was so out of shape when I started working out that I thought any movement might make the thing explode on my part. Now I am getting to where I am what I would call being in "normal" shape. I can run a few miles, swim 1000mtrs, etc. So I can do the basics, I was wondering, would now be a good time to start looking at a HRM, or is it something only those doing the longer distance stuff really need?

2004-05-15 8:11 AM
in reply to: #25104

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
Subject: RE: Do you "have" to have a HRM?

When I started training I felt the same as you. As luck would have it I got a gift certificate to Sears and spent it on a low line HRM. It only displays current HR and total time at the end. It was about $45. Now I always wear it and plan on wearing it durring my race tomorrow. By no means is it my bible, but I depend on it to keep me honest and consistant.

2004-05-15 9:22 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
northern Illinois
I used to have one, but when the battery died I just never replaced it. I felt like a lab rat chained to equipment when I used it. But... I'm the sort of person who resists technology-as-toys and I get overwhelmed by too many data points. My husband, on the other hand, LOVES technology and figures there's no such thing as too may data points. So, it might be more a matter of figuring out when and how you'll use the information the HRM gives you.

When the HRM was new, I did learn that I was pretty much always working out too hard. The monitor would fuss at me when my heart rate got too high. That was interesting information and it did encourage me to take things down a notch -which I think has been good for me in the long run.

Now I train without one, and so far the police haven't come So I guess you don't "have to" have one. On the other hand, it was useful in the beginning. So, apparently, I'm coming down squarely on the fence on this one.

Andrea
2004-05-15 1:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dorset
i use one for running (i am not experienced enough with the bike to know how to use it) but i find it useful to gauge how much effort i am putting into a run from pre-determined HR zones i.e. if it is a slow long run, i want to be at 60-70% max HR so i can gauge that appropriatly. Although i think u can use them in a more advanced way like for doing intervals and stuff. But from my experience if u are going to use one make sure u use the correct formulae to calculate you max HR and zones as the 220 - age one didn't work for me so i used a different one ( i cant remember it off the top of my head sorry)
2004-05-15 3:43 PM

User image

Expert
Torrington,CT
Hi,

I use my hrm during my runs and biking. This way I make sure that I'm at 60% during training and not over. I even use mine during races. I know when my HR goes to 180 that I'm doing around a 7:45 to 7:50 mm.

You do have to establish what your baselines are in order to train this way. But at least you know your not overtraining or undertraining.

Evelyn

Edited by evrunning 2004-05-15 3:44 PM
2004-05-15 6:56 PM

Regular
Springfield, Ohio
Have found HRM to be a useful tool to keep from overdoing. I can actually complete a longer (anything more than 3 miles for me) run much better by making sure I'm not pushing too hard. Recovery is quicker too when the heart rate is right.

2004-05-15 8:39 PM

User image

Veteran
, Zurich
You definitely don't have to have one. Like a Ferrari in your garage or in-season truffles on your pasta, it's a nice to have. I have one but use it in very limited situations. I rely mostly on RPE. Once you get in tune with your body's own exertion levels, you'll find that you really don't 'have' to have one.

There are many other factors which contribute to your race times that have nothing to do with knowing your exact HR. Who dominates the world marathon records? Did they get that good using a HRM?

Focus on the basics....
S.
2004-05-16 2:19 AM

yes , unless you want to set training back 25 years.
2004-05-16 3:47 PM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
no, of course you don't "have" to have a HRM. It's just one of those things that us tri-geeks think are fun to have and use.....and they are. You'll want one soon enough
2004-05-16 3:55 PM

wolcott,ct
i use mine all the time when i runand on most bikes. i have to agree that i was working out too hard before i got the hrm. so my runns got longer and i don't feel bad about slowing down during training because i can see what my body is doing by knowing what my heart rate is.
2004-05-16 5:43 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Catharines, Ontario
I had a heart rate monitor. I think I finally threw it out. I don't really like them. I like to rely on my brain because that usually won't break down. I used a heart rate monitor while training for my first half marathon. My plan for the race was to keep my heart rate in the 160 to 180 range for the whole race but then I kept my heart rate at a steady 185 for the whole race. I've heard similar things from other people who have given up on heart rate monitors. Mostly bikers. In road racing you do what you have to do. I've heard people say things like, "Heart rate monitors scare me because I look it my heart rate and think I shouldn't be able to do this."
In the beginning is when heart rate monitors are good. Keeps you from going to crazy before you can handle it. Keeps you from blowing yourself up. Once you are fit though they are less useful because you can tell what the right pace is and you know what you can do and it doesn't matter what the heart rate monitor says.

2004-05-17 4:00 AM

User image

Expert
England

I'll put another vote in for the 'yes' they are a good idea crowd - like many have mentioned they are a great way to ensure you're working in the right 'zone' to achieve your goals. It has certainly helped me keep the effort lower than I was used to so I could build my base run and bike endurance. I have seen my base endurance increase massively by using the 70-80% zone for long periods and I would never have stayed at the right intensity levels without the aid of the HR monitor. Although I am spending the year focused on endurance, there is loads written on how to use it for speed and strength workouts as well.

Horses for courses but sounds like you want to get the most out of the time you invest in training and IMHO it would be a sensible next step.

2004-05-17 8:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Lakeland, Florida
I use a HRM for biking and running. It really lets me see what my body is honestly doing. I still try to use good judgement but it also helps me recognize a good case of the "lazy day".
2004-05-17 10:10 PM

User image

Veteran
I have to vote no. HRM are not needed by most people. That being siad, I have a Polar S210.

If you don't have a HRM, use Perceived exertion level. On a scale of one to ten how hard are you going. A heart rate monitor will tell you this more accuratly on a scale of one to 100.

Before I got a hrm, I always thought I was going to fast. Now I know I was training to fast. How I feel and what the HRM are pretty close, but sometimes it's easier to listen to a watch then myself.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you "have" to have a HRM? Rss Feed