General Discussion Triathlon Talk » accutane and athletic performance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-02-26 3:54 PM

User image

Subject: accutane and athletic performance
My son is a 15 year old hockey player who has been on Accutane since September. Since his dosage was maximized, his dad and I have seen a noticable difference in his ability on the ice. My son believes he is going full tilt but we see delayed reaction time, lethargy and a decrease in speed. This is a kid who plays on one of the top 15 teams at his age level in our state and has played on teams above his age level for two years. After being injured last night, he believes that the Accutane has had an adverse effect on his playing. In searching the web, I've found only two reported cases of decreased athletic performance.

Was wondering if anyone else out there has had similar results and related information? He's off the drug, recovering from a separated shoulder and looking forward to tryouts in Apri.

Thanks in advance.

2006-03-01 7:52 PM
in reply to: #354825

User image

Veteran
Montreal
Subject: RE: accutane and athletic performance
I can't give any professional info but when I was 13-14 I went on accutane for about 1 year ( not sure the dosage though) and was swimming competitively while on it. I remember being floored by the number of possible side-effects it had and the fact that I needed to take blood tests every month or so.

Was there any mention of a potential problem in the list of side effects? Does your son need to take blood tests? If so, maybe something can be seen there. Have you spoken to his dermatologist about this?

I have never heard of this happening but judging by the strength of this drug, I wouldnt be surprised. Has he had any other side effects? I remember thoe only thing I had were very dry lips. Certainly nothing as bad as what you are mentioning.

Another stupid question, if he is taking this for acne, did he try proactive before? I have really heard great things about it.

I hope things workout. If you can, post once you have more info, I am curious about this.

Edited by sauna66 2006-03-01 7:53 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » accutane and athletic performance Rss Feed