Revolution Racing
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 1/
Age Group = Cat 36 +
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

After the TT the course opened to allow cars in - moved up and got the road bike out and the TT bike in the car. After the TT had a sandwich and finished a bottle of accelerade.
Event warmup:

Went and road the course about 5 times, they reversed the course and wanted to look at the new angles and pavement. Got on the trainer for 25 minutes to stay warm, had perfect amount of accelerade and gel to get the glycogen back up!!
Bike
  • 24m
  • 10 miles
  • 25.00 mile/hr
Comments:

What a tough race!! We had a good plan with 2 prongs of attack with the primaries being myself and Brent. Dave would pull for me and Jason for Brent, after the sprint lap we would try for a split pack and finish them off. Good start, slightly hairy as there were lots of racers this time. Settled in and kept every onboard. Sat about 4th or 5th then got put into the middle of the pack boxed in on lap 5 with a minor Velo Tek attack. Got around to the outside and up to 5th. At the bell lap was little back and a Velo Tek dude took off like a rocket. I hung on the wheel (farther back) and tried to go with them to get him, now 4th and suffering. Into the last turn I dropped everything I had and was in 2nd with a Velo Tek rider on my right about 2 feet back and every so slowly closing - we were fighting for 2nd on the sprint - I was digging and he was closing so was the finish line - he got me by about 7-10 inches at the sprint line and took 3rd with Brent in 4th. As we go by our tent Chris is yelling we split the pack and to go, I'm spent and just hang on the wheel in 4th! Brent and I stay back pretty much the entire way and let VeloTek and Boulevard pull (total of 6 up front). With 3 laps to the pack closes and we get 4 more. Same VeloTek dudes bolts and is flying away - strong dude. The pace winds up and we drop some of the dudes who just caught us. With 1 lap to go I am 4th hanging on and we are closing on the VeloTek rider, we catch him on the 2nd to last turn. Into Final turn still 4th, out of turn I am 3rd by taking an aggressive line and drop EVERYTHING I have into the sprint. I see I am gaining and this drive me harder, the Boulevard racer tries to drop into a draft and I shake him off and am able to hold the pace for the win!!!!!
What would you do differently?:

We need to coordinate our strategy a little more, but other than that it was a great race.
Post race
Warm down:

Cool down lap and then played with the kids...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Power in the legs to generate sprint speeds.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-03-11 12:00 AM
Biking
00:24:00 | 10 miles | 25.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Wind: Strong
Course: .7 mile loop with right turns this time. This direction seemed to put 3/4 of the course into the wind!!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 110
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-03-12 10:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Woodbridge, VA
Subject: Spring Fling Crit Series #3

I have the crit racing bug!!  Crazy fun.

Edited by megerj 2006-03-12 10:09 AM

2006-03-12 11:00 AM
in reply to: #367511

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Subject: RE: Spring Fling Crit Series #3
Yeah, I'd say so. You won again! Nice work.

It's so fun reading your race reports. It's almost as good as racing.

I can't wait until next week's.

Jen
2006-03-12 3:27 PM
in reply to: #367511

User image

Veteran
Woodbridge, VA
Subject: RE: Spring Fling Crit Series #3
Thanks, it's been a blast and it has made me a much faster cyclist for the bike portion of the tri. I must confess I do like the strategy and tactics that a tri does not have!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spring Fling Crit Series #3 Rss Feed