General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuits Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-19 8:17 PM

Regular
Boston. MA
Subject: Wetsuits
Thanks for the info Malvey! I.ve been doing some research on wetsuits. If I'm going to be swimming in about 68-70 degree water should I go with a full suit or sleeveless. Any insight would be appreciated.

2004-05-19 8:45 PM
in reply to: #26011

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Wetsuits
Couple of considerations in your purchase

Consideration Number 1: Does the wetsuit fit? I'm a newbie (so you can take my response with a grain of salt )! The sleeveless didn't fit right. Every single one of the sleeveless cut into either the front of my shoulders or the back of my shoulders. (I'm not in anyway muscular, but sufficiently so that the cut of the sleeveless wetsuits don't work for me.) The Xterra (Gumby) full wetsuit fit like a glove.

Consideration Number 2: What water/weather environment will you be immersed in? If the water tends to be cooler moreso that warmer, then you may consider sticking with a full wetsuit. But then again, it depends upon your preference. I ran into a triathlete recently who prefers "feeling the water"; wears a sleeveless and shaves his arms :-O !

Consideration Number 3: Ease of putting the wetsuit on and taking it off. How easy is it to get the wetsuit on? How easy is it to take the wetsuit off? I would focus on the second half of this consideration, because you can always ask a fellow triathlete to help you get the suit on. In my inaugural tri, this last weekend, my coach asked for assistance by offering to help me, if I would help him. Another triathlete down by the water came up to me and asked if I would help zip up his suit for him. Everyone seems to offer or need help getting into the wetsuit, but seems too busy (hopping around on one foot) trying to get their wetsuits off. My suit, again fits very well and when it was time to take it off turing T1, the wetsuit slid right off.

Hope this helps!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuits Rss Feed