General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ever had trouble swimming straight in the lane? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-20 8:44 AM

User image

Regular
South Carolina
Subject: Ever had trouble swimming straight in the lane?
How embarrassing for me! Last night I found out I have such terrible form swimming. It's hard to tell when you are used to just swimming in open ocean or a regular pool. The straightness of the lane made me realize--I suck! And what was even weirder was that doing the backstroke I stayed perfectly straight, but doing the front crawl I was all over the place. It's like being able to see in front of me HINDERED me!

I did find that if I regulated my breathing (blowing out through my nose under the water, breathing after three strokes, etc.) it really did help as far as exhaustion went. But I still would get in trouble when I got tired and started sort of gasping for air. I would have to force myself to begin regulating again.

However, I love swimming in general, so I think practice will help, but still. I guess I really have no event that I'm best at after all!

2004-05-20 9:28 AM
in reply to: #26080

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Ever had trouble swimming straight in the lane?
Most people swim crooked because of their arm motion.  Look at what you are doing - or have someone videotape you - or take a class.  And people who breathe to one side tend to swim towards that side, although if you are breathing every 3rd, then that isn't what you are doing.  Be patient and try to figure out what could be the cause! 
2004-05-20 9:50 AM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
Dude. I am a horrible circle swimmer! In my one and only open water swim, I tried to get into a nice rhythm twice and each time found myself waaaay off course to the right! Therefore, I lost faith in my ability to swim straight. Therefore, I spent way too much of the swim trying to see where I was going. I have noticed that I always tend to swim on the right of the lane, regardless of which side I am breathing on. (I breathe every other stroke, and switch sides each length.)

So to combat this, every swim workout, I do about 10 minutes of "blind swimming", where I close my eyes and try to swim straight down the lane. I sometimes brush the lane ropes in as few as 6 strokes, sometimes I make it all the way down the lane. But it's frustrating.

I have another race Sunday, so I am hoping that I can position myself between some buoys and some other swimmers and rely a little on them for "direction control".
2004-05-20 2:14 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Much like my golfing, I tend to have a slice (off to the right). My girlfriend thinks it has something to do with the water aerobics class being to my right...
2004-05-20 5:12 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
I just gotta say... IT WILL GET BETTER!! :-)

In my first Oly, I was so far off course, they sent a boat after me that was calling out to me with a megaphone. Very embarassing.

This year, much different. Slow improvement in form and strength and learning to sight (efficiently, not paranoically--is that a word??)

And don't say 'no best event'!! Best should and ought to be defined by what you love best! Besides, how long have you been training Phoenix... like 4-5 weeks or something right?? I think you are doing just great!

Dana
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ever had trouble swimming straight in the lane? Rss Feed