General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HI - New to the group - Advice on a good training routine Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-03-16 11:01 PM

New user

eagan, MN
Subject: HI - New to the group - Advice on a good training routine
Hi everyone. I am surprised that there are so many Minnesota people on the site - That is great. I am looking for advice on a good 12 week beginning TRI training routine for Sprint Tri - I have looked at the training routines on this site - just wondering if anyone has a perferred plan that has worked well.

Is it possible and not too crazy to train for a tri's and also training for 1/2 marathons at the same time??

Thanks!!

Matt

2006-03-17 7:10 AM
in reply to: #371954

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: HI - New to the group - Advice on a good training routine

Hello Matt, and welcome!

I have used a couple of the training plans on this site and they have worked well for me. The first year I used the "Sprint - 2x Balanced - 16 Week", last year the "Sprint - Bike Focused - 16 Week" with some modifications, and right now I'm trying the "Intermediate Sprint - 26 Week, 6 Races Series." I don't follow them religiously (I'm a middle-of-the-pack triathlete, and a very poor runner), but they give me a good guideline to follow.

I have no personal experience with training for a half-marathon and a tri, but several other fellow Minnesotans here have, and I'm sure they'll chime in.

Good luck with your training!

2006-03-17 9:31 AM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

Welcome Matt! 

I am looking for advice on a good 12 week beginning TRI training routine for Sprint Tri - I have looked at the training routines on this site - just wondering if anyone has a perferred plan that has worked well.

I think all of the training plans on this site are excellent.  I do prefer the silver/gold training plans, because instead of training plans laid out in minutes, they actually give more specific training guidelines, i.e., swim intervals, heart rate goals, speed targets, etc. 

Is it possible and not too crazy to train for a tri's and also training for 1/2 marathons at the same time??

Absolutely!  I am currently training for a sprint tri, marathon, and eventually an oly distance at the end of the summer.  Go take a look at my blog page (however, ignore today's blog ).  What I've done is take a beginner sprint tri schedule (RPE) deleted all the running workouts, and replaced them with my marathon training plan (FIRST system, which encourages cross-training as part of the training plan...works out perfectly).  I have links to the FIRST plan on the left hand side of the blog page.

Good luck Matt.  Feel free to send a message if you have questions...

2006-03-17 9:42 AM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

BTW, live in Farmington.  Looks like you're in Eagan.  We have a running group that meets every Saturday morning in Lakeville.  We're all training for either Grandma's marathon or the Bjorkland half, but many of us are also running the Get in Gear 10K, New Prague half and the Burnsville half.

Starting about mid-June (after Grandma's) we also get together for bricks: swim in Marion Lake or Lake Nokomis and 10-15 mile bike rides.

If you don't mind the trip, come join us...

2006-03-17 12:00 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
welcome matt! training for tris and running is actually better than training for running alone, in my opinion. a good mix of cross training for the running, plus less chance of injury. anyway, my first season i blended a sprint plan with hal higdon's beginner half-marathon plan. last year i blended oly and the beginner half-marathon plan. this year its a combo of oly/HIM/and the hal higdon plan. pick what looks like it will fit you life the most, but don't be afraid to combine your own. if you want, pm me your email and i can send you the plan i doctored up for last year (might still have some of my plans from '04 as well). again, welcome!
2006-03-20 3:43 PM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

Hey Matt,

Check this one out.  It's the same program I'm using (F.I.R.S.T., incorporates cross training, so you can continue to swim/cycle while training for your running event), except geared towards half marathon distance:  

http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/article/0,5033,s6-51-55-0-9369-7-1X2X3X4X5X6X7-8,00.html

Sal

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HI - New to the group - Advice on a good training routine Rss Feed