Revolution Racing
38F / 3C
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 2/
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 36/17
Pre-race routine:

Made pancakes for the munchkins, oh yeah and me too. On the way had some left over fried rice and sipping on water. Got checked in and started to setup.
Event warmup:

Rode the course 5 times to evaluate the new route for tactics, a few of those laps were with Mark. Started to get kind of hot with the balaclava but it was time for the trainer as the other race was about to start. Hopped on the trainer and had to shed a layer, also moved the trainer so we could watch the other race and work tactics. Got a good spin going but during the ride I did not feel that great, mostly likely cause St Patties Day!!!!
Bike
  • 26m
  • 10 miles
  • 23.08 mile/hr
Comments:

Our initial gameplan was to control the pace and keep the team together. At the sprint lap I wanted to be 2nd or 3rd with Carl behind me, at the uphill portion he would attack and give me a lead out for the sprint points. Same plan for the finish. Start was OK, nothing crazy or blistering with people settling in. On lap 3 a Bike Shark dude attacked downhill after 1st turn, jumped right on his wheel and made him pay with a small attack right after when Jason came up. At the bell lap I was 2nd behind a Velo Tek rider, at the downhill Carl came flying by and I was ready to jump on the bus, he was hammering and I got right into the draft and opened up at least 15 feet. Around the corner into the wind I was telling Carl 'Keep hammering baby your splitting them, hammer!!!' What a machine kept us in front to the S turns, after the decreasing radius turn I took the lead from him and put him on my wheel and we took the sprint 1 / 2!!! It was perfect, what an awesome lead out. Now some of the St Patties Day festivities started to come back!!! At the bell lap was 2nd and Carl did the same thing but with less gas, we could not open up the gap and Larry from Billy Goat was on my wheel, Carl dropped and Mark came up and pulled for a few hundred meters then was out leaving me in front a little early. Into the drops for the S turns and the finish, dropped the hammer and went all out, Larry did awesome and stuck with me with about 25 m to go he started to pass me on the right, my legs were absolutely dead and I looked back right and did not see anyone else and with about 20 feet left pretty much stopped pedaling. Just then out of the corner of my eye I see someone pass me on the left just prior to the finish!!! The botoom line is PLAY TO THE WHISTLE - RIDE HARD UNTIL YOU CROSS THE FINISH LINE!!!!! So for the last lap I was third with the sprint points, that ties me for 1st.
What would you do differently?:

See above - Play to the whistle, not start the sprint to early. Lots of lessons learned.
Post race
Warm down:

Legs were totally shot- took a cool down lap and the rode some more to wok it out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

St Patties day, which is of course my fault!! I'll give my mental effort a 4 for the lapse in judgment.

Last updated: 2006-03-18 12:00 AM
Biking
00:26:00 | 10 miles | 23.08 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/17
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Wind: Strong
Course: The switched the course to the long track which meant it had a chicane or S curve near the back of the course. The initial portion was with a tail wind then a strong cross uphill with a left turn into the wind. Into the chicane was an easy left then a decreasing radius right turn. Two more S turns set up for the exit to the finish. Exit made it a fast finish!!! Was a little concerned about the decreasing radius turn but it worked out ok.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 100
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right