General Discussion Triathlon Talk » hurt foot Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-03-22 8:47 AM

Subject: hurt foot
ok, so i did my first triathlon last year, i had a bike wreck, my bike breaks were sticking making it extremely hard to finish the bike section... but i did not quit... and even though i finished about 8th from last place i was so happy that i made it, all i wanted to do so many times was park my bike and walk away. i decided to take the winter and really work hard and get prepared to do awesome at this summers tri's. i have lost about 35 pounds!! i was ready to get down to some serious training because i have my first tri of the year april 23rd... i was about 7 weeks away when i stepped on a light bulb. (silly huh?) so anyway, the doctor had to actually cut glass out of my foot, (gross, but i have big holes on the bottom of my foot). As you can imagine this has slowed my training down. i am still lifting, trying to work around the pain in biking, swimming fine, but the running has totally stopped. i am sooooo bummed. any advice or motivating words for me?? thanks.

2006-03-22 9:17 AM
in reply to: #376338

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
Subject: RE: hurt foot

(assuming foot heals in time for the tri)

Some people have mentioned aqua jogging as a great alternative if it's feasible for you.

Pound the bike if you can still do that.  Bike training will help (to what degree can be debated) keep up the run training you've done.

I think the most important thing is to re-evaluate and adjust your goals to be in line with your physical situation.  If you go out and expect to perform as if you were never injured you are setting yourself up for disappointment.  If you are realistic and realize that you did the best you could with the hand you were dealt then you are more likely to be satisfied with the results.  I would definitely feel disappointed that I got injured, but don't let that carry over to your race.  Enjoy the race for what you can bring to it and what it does for you.

2006-03-22 9:23 AM
in reply to: #376364

hey, great advice!! i'm gonna keep that one around and read it every day! i probably would've been disappointed with my tri, not realizing there was nothing i could do about it. just your words made me feel more positive about it. I'm gonna do the best i can, and be happy with that. there will be time to kick my booty later. THANKS. (i'm easily motivated!!)
2006-03-22 11:24 AM
in reply to: #376372

User image

Master
brummie land
not sure if any of this will motivate you but last february 28 i had to have a shoulder op for rotator cuff problems. i LOVE swimming and knackered my shoulder up in the first place because of this. yet each week as soon as i could lift my shoulder enough to get on my swim suit and put it on my kickboard i trained. i didn't go far or fast but each sunday night i went (pretty much!) and now i'm up a lane in my training session and not the slowest in that lane.

stick with whatever exercise you can do and if you are desparate to run make sure you protect your injury and take some painkillers and run. just don't tell your doctor :P
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » hurt foot Rss Feed