Revolution Racing
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 22m
Overall Rank = 2/15
Age Group = 36+
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Standard drive to the race with Nukes, got there a few minutes later than usual but not bad.
Event warmup:

Took 5-6 laps of the course, no change from last week. Hopped on the trainer for 30 minutes and got a solid warmup.
Bike
  • 23m
  • 9 miles
  • 23.48 mile/hr
Comments:

We had a totally different strategy for this race today, my position was pretty secure so we devised a plan to get 2 other teammates onto the podium for the last race. Bottom line was I would ride on the current second place dudes wheel and try to prevent him from getting points. The plan was set and the race started looking good. First tow laps were as planned, on the first bell lap we attacked as planned around the first corner then Brent (guy were are trying to get more points) did not make the corner and went off the course. I yelled up to Carl to stop pulling as he was dragging the dude we were trying to stop!! He slowed but was able to hang onto someone else’s wheel so I had to go get him while all I could do was hear Brent’s rim and pedal scraping as he was trying to get back on the course. I passed that dude on the S curve in the back and pushed him out of the sprint points while we worked Brent back into the fight. Carl and Dave did awesome to bridge our break and bring Brent back to the lead group. Last lap was tough; the Boulevard Race team was leading out then came off, now I was out front. Finally saw Brent back in the pack and Carl came up front to pull some. Boulevard made the first move and I got right on his wheel with Brent, we were flying through the S turns when his (leader) rear wheel flew out when he hit a bump. This made me sit up and brake pointing me towards the dirt....tired to but did not make the corner went off roading but managed to get back on with a huge loss of momentum. When I came back on the course I was now 6th or 7th and only about 150M from the finish. Dropped it into overdrive and got back to 4th, with the sprint points placed 2nd overall. Lots of drama today....and if you saw the post about wearing your helmet you know why!
What would you do differently?:

Although not perfect the strategy worked well. Brent placed 2nd in the last lap for 3rd overall and moved up 1 point out of 3rd.

I think I want to get a better jump and lead through the S turns in the lst race, that will give me the line I want.
Post race
Warm down:

Cool down lap and then ride through the park after.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall solid performace.

Last updated: 2006-03-26 12:00 AM
Biking
00:23:00 | 09 miles | 23.48 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 2/15
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Same as last week to include direction.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 100
Turns: Good Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-03-26 9:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Woodbridge, VA
Subject: Spring Fling Crit Series #5
Got in a little inadvertent off-roading during the 'road' race....

Edited by megerj 2006-03-26 9:42 PM

2006-03-27 6:16 PM
in reply to: #380013

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: RE: Spring Fling Crit Series #5
Your race reports are so thorough and informative. I feel like I am on the course with you, but then again I probably would have been dropped! Great racing and reporting.
2006-03-27 6:23 PM
in reply to: #380013

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Subject: RE: Spring Fling Crit Series #5
I second that. Your race reports are awesome. I can't wait until crit season starts here. Good race.

You gotta post some pics of yourself on the podium next week!

Jen
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spring Fling Crit Series #5 Rss Feed