General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training day eating vs Non-Training day Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-03-30 11:40 AM

Expert
Salisbury
Subject: Training day eating vs Non-Training day
I usually eat more on my hard days and less on my light/off days. I reasoned that I would need/burn more calories on my hard days and less on my light/off days.

I then started thinking...when do I actually get the "energy" from the calories?

So my question is...Should I be eating more the DAY BEFORE my hard days and less the DAY BEFORE my light/off days?

Hope that made sense

2006-03-30 12:12 PM
in reply to: #383591

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Training day eating vs Non-Training day

I'll answer it in a way you probably didn't expect.  You should eat more AFTER your workouts.  Get something in your right away with protein and carbs and eat a decent meal a short while later.  The energy you use for your workouts is a combination of stored glycogen, sugars in your bloodstream, and fat stores.  Fat stores are always there and sugars in the bloodstream are fairly transient, but glycogen in your muscles can be used up in a hard training session.  Eating carbs after you workout, when you're very sensitive and more apt to store them, is the way to replenish the glycogen in your muscles.

Does that makes sense, or am I rambling?

Rencor - 2006-03-30 11:40 AM I usually eat more on my hard days and less on my light/off days. I reasoned that I would need/burn more calories on my hard days and less on my light/off days. I then started thinking...when do I actually get the "energy" from the calories? So my question is...Should I be eating more the DAY BEFORE my hard days and less the DAY BEFORE my light/off days? Hope that made sense

2006-03-30 8:54 PM
in reply to: #383636

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC

Makes perfect sense to me. I've started making sure I have a small ~130 cal high carb snack just before a workout. If it was an intense workout, OR if I'm doing a double (like weight training followed by cardio), I'll get something with protein and carbs (trail mix is a favorite). Usually ~150 cal. Improves both training and recovery.

Otherwise, I try to keep calorie intake on a 7 day average at an AVERAGE deficiet to get 1-2 pounds per week. I think overanalyzing this just makes one frustrated and sets up failure...

2006-03-31 11:10 AM
in reply to: #383636

User image

Master
Northern California
DerekL - 2006-03-30 10:12 AM

I'll answer it in a way you probably didn't expect. You should eat more AFTER your workouts. Get something in your right away with protein and carbs and eat a decent meal a short while later. The energy you use for your workouts is a combination of stored glycogen, sugars in your bloodstream, and fat stores. Fat stores are always there and sugars in the bloodstream are fairly transient, but glycogen in your muscles can be used up in a hard training session. Eating carbs after you workout, when you're very sensitive and more apt to store them, is the way to replenish the glycogen in your muscles.

Does that makes sense, or am I rambling?

Makes sense to me. I've found that by eating consistently over the whole week that my training sessions go better. Now, my eating patterns are different for training days (and different within training days depending on the type of training -- esp. for weight training day).

I try to keep my calories pretty consistent from day to day.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training day eating vs Non-Training day Rss Feed