Other Resources My Cup of Joe » "Recreational Runners" Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2006-04-04 10:48 PM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Subject: "Recreational Runners"
OK, so this weekend I went out and ran the Cherry Blossom 10 mile run. It's a big deal here in the area, 10,000 runners and fills up quick. I'd already decided this would be a "no pressure" run for me - go out and just enjoy it. And that was exactly what I did, and it was a great day.

Coming back home on the train, there were other runners and one of them said something that really got under my skin. She was basically complaining that there were a lot of "recreational runners" out there. Said she was around people who were talking and chatting and just obviously not "pushing themselves". (Mind you, she was in a faster corral than I was, so she was around folks who were hoofing it anyway and yet still could carry on a conversation.)

Now, to me, the criteria for entering any race are as follows:

-- Can you finish within the time limits without injuring yourself?
-- Will you have a good time?

Beyond that, as far as I'm concerned, you pay your registration fees and get out there and do whatever you want, as long as it somehow doesn't mess up someone else on the course and you're safe about it. Run fast, run slow, run medium, talk with people, joke around, juggle (there was one person on the course doing just that), run the aid stations, walk the aid stations, high five the little kids on the course, whatever. (Or if you're running the Disney 5K, hit the margarita stand halfway through.)

It just struck me as a really odd attitude that if you're not pushing for a PR, you shouldn't be there at all. Meanwhile, her husband (who I noticed had a slow corral number like me) for whom this was his first race ever, turned green and they had to get off the train cause he was ready to hurl... Somehow I doubt the day was as enjoyable for him as it could have been.

So - does it bother you at races when you see folks that are just there to enjoy themselves and finish happy?

2006-04-04 11:32 PM
in reply to: #388593

Champion
Subject: RE: "Recreational Runners"

Her husband was probably green from her beating him with a whip in a lame attempt to establish his own PR.  This woman needs to grow up and get a grip on life.  There's nothing wrong with beating your head against the proverbial wall during an athletic event, but to expect everyone else to do the same is just plain idiotic.

Yup, you hit it right...you pay your entry fee and you thus earn the right to race it at any speed you desire.  As long as you're not creating a disturbance to others, I say enjoy the day.  That's why I'm out there!

2006-04-05 12:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, CO

I'm not sure what the Cherry Blossom is, but I'm presuming it's a charity/community run.   The object with that type of run is to:

1. Raise money for the specified charity
  2. Establish a sense of community--hence the cherry blossom reference (were they in bloom?)
  3. Get people involved, and off their butts, hopefully having fun so that maybe they will continue to stay active and improve their overall health.

I am at a point where I am trying to consistently improve, and set a PR each time I hit the race course.  I prefer to do it in charity runs because of the whole environment, but that's me.  I could certainly set PR's by running faster and faster around the high school track, but what fun is that?  It would be unreasonable to presume that EVERYONE else in the race is trying to PR.  If you want to be surrounded by ONLY serious athletes, all of whom are always trying to PR, you need to join a competitive club and seek out sanctioned meets.  If it were a requirement that all entrants had to meet that woman's criteria, charity/community runs would cease to exist, and the T-shirt industry would be crippled!

2006-04-05 2:04 AM

User image

Master
State of Confusion
Personally, no. I think it's great, as long as they are aware of other runners, and safe. At least people are there, having a good time, and doing something healthy. The other attitude irritates me more. I can't stand snobbery, or someone who is so type-A they expect the rest of the world to be like them.
2006-04-05 6:50 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Apparently my patience for ignorant people is not what it used to be.  My first reaction was you should have kicked her *** and said, "I hate recreational train riders."

2006-04-05 7:18 AM

User image

Elite
South Florida
If that were true than I wouldn't have ever been able to try a triathlon. That lady will just have to get faster so she stays up front with the "real" runners.

2006-04-05 7:48 AM

User image

Expert
Potomac, Maryland
Congratulations on your finish!  I did the Cherry Blossom ten miler last year and had a great time doing it.  It's crowded, and I started near the back, but the chatters didn't bother me.  The course was pretty congested in the first few miles but the field spread out enough by half way that there was room to run unimpeded.  One lady in front of me during the run expressed exasperation with runners who were slowing/stopping for photos as this caused an accordian-like bunching up of runners just after Memorial Bridge.  That bothered me as well, but it was a short-lived glitch.

Edited by Ken 2006-04-05 7:49 AM
2006-04-05 8:09 AM

User image

Elite

First off great race.  I understand from first hand accounts that the trees were in full bloom and the weather was gorgeous.

The elite snobbish attitude of better athletes toward average runners/bikers/swimmers is quite common.  I think I understand it as a self-motivational tactic.  The person who says something like that has had some success and has moved up in the pack.  She is separating herself from the people she can now beat and with that separation congratulating herself for being better than them and pushing herself to continue to improve.  I hope she made the comment to someone who shared in her goals and enjoyed her success.  Most people would find it arrogant.  Me too, but I understand the perspective and I've seen it before, lots.

TW

2006-04-05 8:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison, WI
I decided to do tris because, yes I wanted to push myself physically, but also, becuase they are FUN.  I'm not going to win my AG, and for most of my races will care less about a PR and more about learning, enjoying, and finishing...I am the quintessential "recreational trier" and proud of it.
2006-04-05 10:13 AM

User image

Elite
Reno

Unless you are getting paid as a professional to run, you are a recreational runner.

2006-04-05 11:07 AM

User image

Expert
She obviously has lost some of the fun of competing. But, I will say, for those that are out there not really racing, it does bother me when the start up near the front, and/or get in my way during a race. I'm slow, so I start near the back, but when I race, I am there to try to get a PR. If you stop in front of me, block my path etc, then you are impacting my race. But as long as someone isn't doing that, then I'd much rather see them competing then at McDonald's or something.

2006-04-05 11:24 AM
in reply to: #388682

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-04-05 11:48 AM
in reply to: #388682

Pro
Libertyville, IL
tech_geezer - 2006-04-05 8:09 AM

First off great race.  I understand from first hand accounts that the trees were in full bloom and the weather was gorgeous.

The elite snobbish attitude of better athletes toward average runners/bikers/swimmers is quite common.  I think I understand it as a self-motivational tactic.  The person who says something like that has had some success and has moved up in the pack.  She is separating herself from the people she can now beat and with that separation congratulating herself for being better than them and pushing herself to continue to improve.  I hope she made the comment to someone who shared in her goals and enjoyed her success.  Most people would find it arrogant.  Me too, but I understand the perspective and I've seen it before, lots.

TW

Right on.  I cant wait until I am good and fit and fast so I can drop you BT deadbeats!   There are just a lot of folks out there who prop up their self esteem or image by trying to undermine other people.  It is kind of a delicate balance out there cuz sometimes there are folks who dont give a d@mn about others trying to pass.  That is just as obnoxious as the uppity types. 

2006-04-05 12:03 PM

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
My question is- why does she care?  She went out, ran her best, end of story.  Why does she care if other people were running for fun and chatting?  I always love seeing a group of women running together and talking- I think it's great that people can go out and njoy themselves and have fun.  For me, running is somewhat social.  I have met some of the greatest people running in races- the ones you just randomly start talking to in passing.  And if it weren't for running I wouldn't have the friends I have.  So for that lady to knock on somebody for not running a race to PR is just plain dumb.  If she's too good and serious for running normal races, then why isn't she pro? 
2006-04-05 12:16 PM

Pro
Woodstock,GA

One thing I have to say about this is that as long as people are exercising in ANY way its a good thing. We have way to many obese people in this country.

An another note though, I do have a problem with casual runners and walkers getting up front in a mass start and clogging up the road so you spend more time going side to side than forward. The Walkers and slower runners keep right rule is not followed around here unfortunately.

2006-04-05 12:20 PM
in reply to: #388944

Pro
Libertyville, IL

runnergirl29 - 2006-04-05 12:03 PM My question is- why does she care?  She went out, ran her best, end of story.  Why does she care if other people were running for fun and chatting?  I always love seeing a group of women running together and talking- I think it's great that people can go out and njoy themselves and have fun.  For me, running is somewhat social.  I have met some of the greatest people running in races- the ones you just randomly start talking to in passing.  And if it weren't for running I wouldn't have the friends I have.  So for that lady to knock on somebody for not running a race to PR is just plain dumb.  If she's too good and serious for running normal races, then why isn't she pro? 

I think it is her simple way to feel all hardcore fitness about herself or something like that.  I know a few folks who excercise for status.  It is usually a short term thing though where they do a race and call it quits.  Dunno, could be wrong here, but just saying it could be part of the motivation.  To fully understand some folks I think it is necessary to crack oneself on the head with a hammer.  Is that really worth all the trouble?

2006-04-05 12:45 PM
in reply to: #388944

2006-04-05 12:50 PM
in reply to: #388958

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Rocket Man - 2006-04-05 1:16 PM

One thing I have to say about this is that as long as people are exercising in ANY way its a good thing. We have way to many obese people in this country.

An another note though, I do have a problem with casual runners and walkers getting up front in a mass start and clogging up the road so you spend more time going side to side than forward. The Walkers and slower runners keep right rule is not followed around here unfortunately.

I agree- I don't like it when people don't properly position themselves at the start, or don't estimate their pace correcly for corrals.  But what can we do??  I guess just pass them with a smile.  Or...if they start walking and don't stay to the right, can we trip 'em?  Just kidding.  I do get annoyed when slower people stay to the left, which makes it really difficult to pass- especially in large starts.

2006-04-05 12:51 PM

Expert
Northern VA

The race is open to the public, not restricted to, oh I don't know what to call them, serious runners only?

There was a woman in front of me on the metro on the way home from the race that also got sick. Good thing someone had one of the plastic goodie bags to hand her.

2006-04-05 12:52 PM
in reply to: #388999

2006-04-05 12:58 PM

over a barrier
The only time those type of runners bother me is when they run in a line chatting say 5 or 6 of them and I can't run around them....that bugs the sh*t out of me.

2006-04-05 4:40 PM

Elite
Thanks for the feedback - the whole thing just struck me as so odd, and as someone who goes out for the whole experience (as evidenced by my
race reports that go on forever), I was starting to wonder if I had missed some big secret of how a race is "supposed" to be run. I know lots of folks whose personal mantra is "go hard or go home" but they don't begrudge anyone else just going out and having a good time.

To answer some of the questions - the Cherry Blossom Run is a 10 mile run, benefiting the Children's Miracle Network and is part of the Cherry Blossom Festival here in DC. This year was spectacular with perfect weather and the cherry trees in full bloom - this time of year is notorious for whacked out weather and more than a few years the festival has hit with the trees not blooming yet, or with all the flowers blown off from a freak storm two days before it starts.

This year apparently was the first year of "official" seeding - you had to provide an estimated time so they could corral you appropriately. I really have no problem starting way at the back - I'm slow and that's why you have chip times anyway, so it doesn't matter how long it takes to actually get to the starting mat. When it's "self-seeded" start, again, I'll just stick at the back, no problem. They did have an elite women's wave that started 10 minutes or so before everyone else, as this apparently was the first year this race has been internationally certified. (Or something along those lines - when you're happy to run sub 12 minute miles, these things don't exactly apply to you.)

The only issue w/ slow to the right was that there were a couple water stops on the left through it rather than on the right. I know I am slow, but I try to stay aware of what is going on around me so I'm not in anyone's way if at all possible. I did accidentally kick someone who was trying to cut sideways in front of me, we both just misjudged where the other would be - there were apologies all around and no hard feelings.

I've had a ball at all of my races so far - if all I concentrated on was killing myself on the course, I'd be miserable. The fun is what keeps me coming back.
2006-04-05 4:40 PM
in reply to: #388640

Elite
hangloose - 2006-04-05 7:50 AM

Apparently my patience for ignorant people is not what it used to be. My first reaction was you should have kicked her *** and said, "I hate recreational train riders."

I figure her husband probably puked on her, which works as well... 

2006-04-05 5:59 PM

You pays your money you dos whats you wants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A lot of people do races for different reasons, IMHO I can't think of any of them that would be bad or negative.....

My girlfriend and I did a race and we were racing against each other, in a friendly way... at one point in the race we were next to each other and I belched, a girl in front of us turned around looked and laughed a little. I jokingly motioned that it was Pam (my girlfriend). A short time later I caught up with the young girl and said "it was me who belched,,,, my girlfriend belches way better than that"..... Girl cracked up laughing.

Later in the race going by some condos with people on the upper balconies, I can't recall exactly what was said, but something like offers for refreshrements, I responed, "how about a beer and cigarette, can ya help me out?" I could hear people laughing way behind me.. (I gots a pretty loud voice).

Anyway my point is you can run a good race and have fun,,,, as a matter of fact if it's not going to be fun why do it.  In most races I always try to say someting positive or funny to those around me and to thank the volunteers for their support.

Run the race for yourself and be glad all those recreations runners are there,,,,, or they wouldn't be able to support races  for  beitchs like her to compete in. I think someting like that would be appropriate to say to her,,,,,,, well for me it would anyway....

Have fun,,,,,, there is nutin funner than fun!

2006-04-05 6:06 PM
in reply to: #389360

Elite
crusevegas - 2006-04-05 6:59 PM

Anyway my point is you can run a good race and have fun,,,, as a matter of fact if it's not going to be fun why do it. In most races I always try to say someting positive or funny to those around me and to thank the volunteers for their support.

Have fun,,,,,, there is nutin funner than fun!

Yep, and that's the way I approach it.  Funniest thing on the course, there were some gals running along, and they saw a spectator with M&M's - so one ran over to ask if she could have a couple, next thing you know she's charging back yelling, "OH MY GOD, HE GAVE US THE WHOLE BAG!!!"  

The spectators were really great. 

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » "Recreational Runners" Rss Feed  

of 1