General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Speed Wobble Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-04-11 9:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands
Subject: Speed Wobble

Was enjoying my long ride a couple days ago, going down a long hill, reached about 30 mph and all hell breaks out, steering goes crazy and am thinking that I have a flat - truthfully I'm thinking about how not to wipe out as I head towards the (softer - it hasn't rained in decades) grassy road shoulder.

Anyway, manage to stop without breaking bones or bike - check things out and "no flat", so I'm thinking that maybe it is the tire I put on the day before - these were tires I didn't want to use (never used - but real old, like 10+ years), but I have been waiting on new michelin pro-race II tires coming in the post for the past 3 (yes three) weeks.

So I decide, bad tires, plus very very very poor roads, twitchy aero bars and although this is a long shot and unlikely as it may seem - perhaps even rider error......  

So that was the official end of the enjoyable part of the ride - I'm now many miles from home , feeling very nervous. So I work my way back (we were pretty much at the half way mark) - now I'm riding the brakes on the down hills and having to push extra hard on the up hills.

Anyway cutting to the chase, checked the bike at home and the front wheel axle cones were loose - the wheel had been moving laterally back and forth - for those of you who have not been lucky enough to sample this special experience - lucky you.

So now I check the back........aaagh, its loose too......man, my carefree days of hoping on the bike and riding off in to sunset (more likely sunrise and congested traffic) are over - from now on its a checklist :-(

2006-04-11 9:12 PM
in reply to: #394092

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Subject: RE: Speed Wobble
I'm glad this post ended happy and not with pics involving blood and/or scars. Makes me think that I need to be more careful looking over my bike before rides.
2006-04-12 7:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Arnhem
I check mine regularly too now. Recently had to replace the back weel of my MTB because it had been loose for too long and the bal bearings where dead.
2006-04-12 7:51 AM
in reply to: #394096

User image

Youngstown, Ohio

I'm glad this post ended happy and not with pics involving blood and/or scars./QUOTE]

I'm glad he survived, but remember what Shane Falco once said:

"Pain heals, Chics dig scars, and glory lasts forever." 

Edited by ovspmike 2006-04-12 7:51 AM
2006-04-12 8:29 PM

User image

Expert
Montreal
I have heard of this before.  Next time try clamping your top bar with your knees/ legs.  Vibration is related to the mass of the object. Short version, By clamping the top bar you increase the mass of the frame which is related it's the period of vibration. 
2006-04-13 2:13 PM

User image

I had a similar experience and found that the adjustable bearing on my wheels were a little loose, adjusting that helped. I just had my bike professionally tuned and they trued and adjusted wheels, tightening the spokes made the bike even more stable on rough roads going in execess of 40mph.

Something I try to do before every ride is at least wipe the chain off and spin the wheels to make sure they are spinning freely,,,,,,,, I once road for over a week with the brakes rubbing,,,,,,,

Good thread thanks for posting!!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Speed Wobble Rss Feed