General Discussion Triathlon Talk » x fat guy runs his first race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-11-08 11:29 AM

Subject: x fat guy runs his first race
sorry this is not soontobetrimom, it is her goofy hubby posting my results from my very first race of any kind ever. My wife and i are planing to do are first tri in may so i want to get in a couple of runs bfor i tri a tri. This morning was the childrens health care of atlanta 10k in atlanta, i didnt sleep well last night tosed and turned going over and over the how and whys of the race that hadnt even started. We got there an hour early and stood around freezing waiting for 8 a.m. by the time the race started my jitters were all but gone i just wanted it to start so i could warm up!!!! the first mile or so was a little hard not being use to running more than 1000 people i started feeling a little closed in so i opted to swing to the outside and tried to swing wide on most of the turns i figured better to run a few xtra steps and feel comfortable with pace and breathing than to worry about what every one else around me was doing.
After the first mile i settled in to a slow but steady pace and worried about my race not anyone or any thing else. For my first race i had 2 main goals first and formost i wanted to finish with out throwing up second i wanted to try and finish in under 50 min. well goal one reached goal two i missed by 5 min.
I ran my first 10k in 55 min. not bad for an x fat guy that failed high school gym for not running the mile.

2003-11-08 7:05 PM
in reply to: #1647

User image

Central Louisiana
Subject: RE: x fat guy runs his first race
Congrats on a great race. Multiply the feeling you felt today as you crossed the finish line by 3 and you will have an idea about what that first tri will be like.

Still Tri'n
Michael
2003-11-08 9:18 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member
yeah!   good job!  great idea of going to the outside to run your own race.  their is a triathlete in u husband of soontobetrimom!
2003-11-14 1:46 PM

Regular
Springfield, Ohio
1000 people running the same race in their own way. Does that sound like Zen?
Neil
2003-11-16 6:28 PM

Veteran
Brisbane-Melbourne, Australia
Mate well done. You got the result. Im sure goal two wont be that far off.

Slow and steady can somtimes win the race

Craig
2003-11-18 1:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Nice job! That's a great time for a first 10 k!
I'm another x-fat guy! I ran my first 5k last month. I'm doing another a week from Saturday. I'm going to try to break the 10min/mile barrier.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » x fat guy runs his first race Rss Feed