General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nervous stomach, can't sleep, can't eat....must be nearing a triathlon! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-06-02 1:31 PM

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
Subject: Nervous stomach, can't sleep, can't eat....must be nearing a triathlon!
The big Oly's on the 6th...
My second Tri.
All I can say is thank GAWD I have a training partner who's doing it with me.
And reading our rants of emails going back and forth I hear a high-pitched hyteria building.
Here's our rants.... http://triby35.typepad.com/triby35/2004/06/62_prerace_jitt.html
Tell me it gets better the more you get under your belt!!!!
Any other pre-race horror stories? nightmares? panic attacks? anyone wanna share?
It's all in good fun and part of the process...I'll take this stress over bad stress any freakin' day of the week....cuz....
I'M GONNA DO AN OLY ON SUNDAY!

HOODY HOO!

Edited by crpadiem 2004-06-02 1:31 PM

2004-06-02 10:32 PM
in reply to: #28703

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario
Subject: RE: Nervous stomach, can't sleep, can't eat....must be nearing a triathlon!

Nancy,

Remember that anxiety is an expression of energy...when this energy is put to good use during a race YOU WILL KICK MAJOR BUTT!!!

Can't wait to hear about it,

Jen

2004-06-03 7:46 AM

Champion
Subject: RE: Nervous stomach, can't sleep, can't eat....must be nearing a triathlon!
LOL Nancy, I liked the title of your thread...."Nervous stomach, can't sleep, can't eat....must be nearing a triathlon!" It's either the impending triathlon or you just won the California Lottery and can't figure out what to do with the money. If it's the latter, I'm here to help out!

Yes it gets better...though I think it never goes away. I've been in 4 events and several running races and I still get the butterflies before the gun. Mostly just in the last hour or so, the days leading up to it become easier to tolerate.

Gosh I hope we're gonna get a full blown race report afterwards. Save some of that nervous energy for the re-cap! Good luck and above all else enjoy yourself!

Max
2004-06-03 8:31 AM

User image

Expert
Torrington,CT
Nancy,

I too still get nervous prior to any race. It doesn't matter if it's a 5K or Marathon. The only good thing is that once the gun goes off, the nervousness disappears and rational thinking takes over (that's what the training is all about).

So don't worry about it!!!!!!!!

Evelyn
2004-06-03 9:50 AM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
Please allow me to volunteer as Max's deputy in charge of assigning the funds from the California Lottery !

The point is not to let the anxiety get the better of you. I have found that I am usually a little over-excited at my races, so the thing I do to combat it is to go for a warm-up run. I find that I get a little short of breath in about a quarter-mile or so, and I try to get myself to work through that until I am breathing easy again. Usually takes about half a mile total to work the excess nervous energy off for me.

Can't wait to read the report. I know that I appreciate your sense of humor!
2004-06-03 11:28 AM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

I also get very nervous before ANY event... Right before my swim wave goes off, I'm sweating profusely in the armpits, stomach churning... headache... but then as soon as I start I become very focused... Swim swim swim.... It's almost like I can't think of anything else! It's very important to stay present in the event you're actually doing... and I find that being nervous really heightens my senses and keeps me engaged and on my toes! I get waves of nerves about a couple of days before the event... the morning of the event I'm usually pretty calm until I'm standing there waiting for the swim to start. Then it's an odd kind of heightened awareness/calm for the rest of the race....

You're going to do great! I can't wait to read the recap.
Good Luck!

LW

2004-06-04 11:43 AM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
NANCY!!

Can't believe that it's 2 days away! I'm so excited for you. I wish I was free to cheer you on, but instead I'll cheer like crazy for the Escape from Alcatraz folks and hope it echoes out to Folsom!

Best of luck to Lisa, as well--

Don't hold back on your race report (right, like that'll happen!) (o:

So have you already packed your bag and started to obsessively check it every couple of hours??

Dana
2004-06-04 11:46 AM

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
Dana!

I'm sure I'll hear the cheering!!! haha

I'm packing tonight. Been intentionally holding off so I don't psych myself out. Went for a short run yesterday. Doing 20 miles today on the bike, feeling loose and relaxed...I wish it was tomorrow!!!

I'll post a "short" (yeah, right!) race report when I'm done...haha

nt

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nervous stomach, can't sleep, can't eat....must be nearing a triathlon! Rss Feed