General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New, excited, but full of questions.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-04-24 11:33 AM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
Subject: New, excited, but full of questions....
My name is Suzanne and I live in the upstate of SC. I am in the process of training for my first marathon with Team in Training and only have 6 weeks to go. I am in the process of losing weight (28 lbs down, 30-40 more to go) and have decided, while I love running, I am getting bored (who wouldn't on a 4 hour run) and have thought I might give triathlons a try. I feel like I'll get a better whole body workout training for one anyway.

I also want to have something to train for and focus on because we are adopting a baby girl from China and are at the beginning of a very long (maybe a year) wait for a referral. To keep me from obsessing about the adoption, I need to obsess about training!

There is a sprint distance here in Greenville on Aug. 20th I am pretty sure I will enter. I've got the run down pat (though I'm not fast, the endurance is no prob) and I am pretty sure the swim will be fine, too. I was a lifeguard in college and taught swimming lessons so I've got a strong swimming background. I am adding the swim as a XT this week because my legs are feeling the pounding way too much right now!

The only part I am hesitant about is the bike portion. I haven't ridden a bike since I was a kid, and I don't have a lot of money to invest in a bike. Will I just look like a total moron out there on a bike that is used, abused, and not expensive (I am looking to spend between $100 and $200)? I don't mind not being the fastest, but I don't want to look stupid either....

Oh, and typcially, are triathletes as encouraging and accomodating to newbies as runners are? That's been so encouraging to me as a fit, but overweight woman, to have some very thin, very fast runner to speed past me and tell me I'm doing great! (I am not sarcastic here, it truly means a lot and keeps me from feeling intimidated!)

Suzanne in SC

2006-04-24 12:11 PM
in reply to: #404869

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: New, excited, but full of questions....
Welcome to BT, and to the very friendly tri-world. If you want proof, go volunteer for a local tri event and see how everyone (OK, almost everyone, there are still a few jerks out there) treats participants.

Some of the bigger bike shops have a selection of used bikes for sale. Go and at least get a better idea of what size bike you would need. It'd be hard to get a road bike for the price you're looking, but you might find a decent hybrid (or city) bike.

Congrats on the weight loss. Don't know what your goals are, but many tri's have Clydsdale/Athena divisions for larger participants. Who knows, you might lose soooo much that you no longer qualify for "athena" (or you may not qualify already)

2006-04-25 8:59 PM

User image

Expert
searching for the elusive runner's high!
WOW! Congratulations on everything...weight loss, team in training marathon, adoption process, joining BT! I can tell you first-hand that I have only been on this site for a few weeks and everyone has been so helpful it is a bit overwhelming at times.

I am competing in my first tri in late May and I also have a used road bike. It is very old (1980's) but with a good tune up and a few new parts it rides fine. I don't think you have anything to worry about as far as "looking stupid" but you do need to realize that if you complete your first tri and plan to do more then you will probably want to invest in a better road bike. I have been told that the technology has changed so much that a newer bike CAN actually make you ride faster. I am by no means an expert but I think you should be able to find a used bike through a local bike shop, at yard sales, or even on eBay.

My local bike shop has been invaluable to me. Maybe you have a local shop that would be a good resource for you too. Good luck with everything and keep us posted with how you are doing!
2006-04-26 7:58 AM

User image

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts

Welcome to BT!  I think you'll find a great amount of resources here...and yeah, the people are all so kind and helpful.  I love it here.

As far as a bike.  Try eBay...I decided that since I'm not too experienced yet (only two years in this) that I'd get a relatively inexpensive road bike to start out on.  I went to eBay and bought a new bike from a wholesaler for 210 bux.  Then I just added some "go-faster" parts...new lightweight wheels (eBay 110 bux), a new rear cassette (bike shop, 25 bux) and aerobars (eBay 40 bux).  I went from averaging 17mph to over 20 just with that stuff and I've spent less than even the lowest-priced entry level bike at a bike shop.  A friend of mine is training for her first triathlon and she got an entry-level "GMC Denali" bike for 170 bux, shipped.  It's heavy but it's new and it's a road bike.  She loves it.  You might wanna give that avenue a try...there are plenty of new and used reasonably priced road bikes on eBay at any given time. 

Hope you have a great marathon and congrats on the weight loss and fitness!! Woohoo!!!

2006-04-26 8:42 AM
in reply to: #406813

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
Actually I saw that GMC bike on Ebay but didn't know if it would be appropriate. I saw they had a girl's version, which I like, but not sure about the size. I am 5'4" so I know I will need a smaller bike, but I am uncomfortable going to a bike store where I know I am not going to buy an expensive bike. I am in sales, so I hate to spend someone's time and what not when i know that I'm not gonna spend my money there.....
2006-04-26 8:56 AM

User image

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
My friend bought a 48cm.  She's about 5'3".  I'm 5'4" and I ride a 50 and I think I could probably have gone a centimeter smaller.  So far though, she loves it and she's very comfortable on it.  You might wanna give it a thought.

2006-04-26 9:05 AM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
That's exactly the kind of info I needed! I am sure when I am ready to get a more expensive bike I'll get fitted, but for now, info like you just gave me is a big help! I am actually 5'3.875" (ha ha) but I always round it up to 5'4" and I have short legs, so the 48 is probably what I would want to go with for my first.

Thanks a lot for the advice, and I'll start looking for something used in that size.

PS- I know bikes fit everyone differently, but for a beginner like me I am sure having something that's just close will be fine!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New, excited, but full of questions.... Rss Feed