General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Huge change of plans...! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-11-23 1:04 AM

User image

Subject: Huge change of plans...!

I am a beginner triathlete coming from a running/swimming background...

I have entered the UK70.3 in June and planned for this to be my first race.

However... My training has gone very well, already capable of full IM swim in an hour. A number of 13 milers in trg in around 2hrs.

Only just started bike training but working hard on the turbo trainer and already clocked up a nmuber of 30 milers outside with lots left to spare.

Therefore... I've bitten the bullet and signed up for IM Wales in September so I will now use my 70.3 as part of my training. I know I can do it if my training continues like this and I put in lots of bike-run bricks...

I was hoping for lots of positive replies saying great option rather than 'You're mad'...!

Cheers guys.

2011-11-23 1:28 AM
in reply to: #3912671

SoCal
Subject: RE: Huge change of plans...!

dang, wish i were as strong as you. no, i take that back... i cant wait until i'm as strong as you!

good job! i'd do the same in your shoes.

2011-11-23 10:46 AM

User image

Elite
N Carolina

You are not alone.  I signed up for a full IM before I completed a HIM.  My HIM was about 3 months before the full IM and everything went pretty well.

Good Luck!

2011-11-23 11:16 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
My advice would be to not underestimate the toll each discipline will take out of you throughout the day. 112 miles is a lot different from 30 miles and it will not matter how good a runner you are if your legs are trashed after the bike leg. If I were you I'd be focusing on how to get stronger on the bike. It is key to your ability to run.
2011-11-23 1:13 PM

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
I'm not writing to discourage you, but just to make sure you don't coast on your accomplishments which are good. I've found that marathons are really easy until about mile 19. Even the training wasn't hard until the final high mileage weeks.

It is good to build single sport confidence and know you can do the individual distances yet I've found there is a world of difference between doing each element and putting them together in an IM race. Also there is a world of difference between the HIM and IM distance. Both are hard but a different kind of hard.

IM requires much more training and staying injury free with the volume levels. It is difficult unless your body is very naturally inclined to handle the volume or you have taught it to handle the volume.

Best of luck and you are in the right place to not only get encouragement but also learn somethings with less personal suffering.
2011-11-23 1:28 PM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA

2011-11-23 2:56 PM

User image

Cheers guys completely take on board all that you have said...I am determined to do this and want it really badly.

I will keep my head down focus more on the bike and bkie/run stuff... I have a great programme called the 'Method' which is an IM prg that I will follow post chrstmas. I am really pleased with my current training and will hit the plan running with my base training in place...

What do you mean that IM and Half IM are both hard for different reasons?

2011-11-23 4:37 PM
in reply to: #3913485

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
jonnyspow - 2011-11-23 12:56 PM

In a general sense, the intensity goes up as the distance goes down. The HIM the pace is higher and it isn't as much about saving the legs for the run. With the IM, I found the race pace to feel like I'm holding back the whole time. It is hard for me to be patient but the IM requires it. It took a lot of discipline to hold back knowing it was a really long day. By the end of the day, I was glad that I had held back!
2011-11-23 4:54 PM
in reply to: #3913485

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
jonnyspow - 2011-11-23 12:56 PM

Cheers guys completely take on board all that you have said...I am determined to do this and want it really badly.

I will keep my head down focus more on the bike and bkie/run stuff... I have a great programme called the 'Method' which is an IM prg that I will follow post chrstmas. I am really pleased with my current training and will hit the plan running with my base training in place...

One is a battle, the other a war.

Edited by popsracer 2011-11-23 4:59 PM
2011-11-24 1:01 AM

User image

Cheers guys both comments make complete sense and I appreciate your input, I particularly like the 'one is a battle the other a war' comment! Just back from a hill trg bike session so the legs are burning but getting stronger. Should I look at trying to hit any times on the half IM? My current thinking is Swim - 30mins, bike 3 and 1/2hrs, run 2 and 1/2 hrs. Total time - 6hr 30min minus transitions!!
2011-11-24 1:02 AM

User image

Cheers guys both comments make complete sense and I appreciate your input, I particularly like the 'one is a battle the other a war' comment! Just back from a hill trg bike session so the legs are burning but getting stronger. Should I look at trying to hit any times on the half IM? My current thinking is Swim - 30mins, bike 3 and 1/2hrs, run 2 and 1/2 hrs. Total time - 6hr 30min minus transitions!!

2011-11-24 11:10 AM
in reply to: #3913869

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
jonnyspow - 2011-11-24 1:01 AM

Sounds like a reasonable goal for your HIM.

I signed up for an IM before my first HIM. A client of mine this year did the same thing. So not crazy. Sometimes it has to be done that way, if you want to do an IM the following year.

FYI- start logging your training here via the Training Log. That way, if you have training specific questions, we can give you sound advice. It would be a wise choice for you to start logging your workouts!

2011-11-24 11:22 AM

Expert
Don't let your motivation and excitement override your training plan. It is very easy to go too hard for too long and pay a big price. Look out past the next year, don't focus on a time for your HIM, focus on your nutrition and have a good race. A good race is one where you don't burn yourself out and can get back into your training regimen in short order. In triathlon terms, there are few things as bad as being in the training rhythm, and not being able to train due to injury. Long distance triathlon training is a mountain climb, enjoy the journey!

2011-11-24 11:50 AM

User image

Thanks again for all the awesome advice...

I am logging every session at the moment in a planner and then drawing up a weekly breakdown of distances/times etc...

I know it's going to be a long journey and I am looking beyond my HIM and IM. I do not want it to be a one race thing... Just to say I completed an IM.

I am so hooked I can see myself doing this for a long time.

I need to learn more about when to take on nutrition and will experiment with a number of things.

Any tips? I find gels easy to take on board for a carb input but I like the sound of maltloaf but that would only be on the bike though eh? There is no way I could eat that stuff on the run...!

Thank you so much for all your input.

2011-11-24 7:55 PM
in reply to: #3914151

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
jonnyspow - 2011-11-24 9:50 AM

I need to learn more about when to take on nutrition and will experiment with a number of things.

Any tips? I find gels easy to take on board for a carb input but I like the sound of maltloaf but that would only be on the bike though eh? There is no way I could eat that stuff on the run...!

Regarding nutrition - this is something that takes practice and experience to dial in, and you don't have yet. 

Use the 70.3 to try out your IM nutrition plan.  It's not overly simplistic to plan out your IM nutrition then do exactly half that for the HIM. 

I also suggest doing a full 2.4 mile swim (open water if possible), then going for a 90-110 mile bike ride.  You'll find out if your bike nutrition plan is working by the end of that.  Nutrition issues often show in the last 20-30 miles of the IM bike, so shorter rides won't do it.

Some people swear by specialized liquids and gels only plans, others like solid foods too, others swear by "normal" foods like PBJs on the bike etc.  Very personal, "everybody is different" and all that, but some things are common.  Read and listen and you'll find what's common and what's different for you.

There's a common tendency to over-eat or over-supplement or over-hydrate, resulting in GI issues late in the bike or on the run.  Your body can only process so much, there are common rules like so many grams of carbs per hour per kilo of body weight. 

Massive marketing from all sports supplement companies have convinced people they can't run 10 feet without a capsule, and that's not true.  You may need them (I do in hot weather and that won't be Wales) but not as much as the marketing may make you think. 

You could throw out all planning and 'listen to your body' but that all works only if you know how to interpret the language your body is speaking.  I didn't for years.  "My gut is feeling squirmy, what does that mean and what should I do about it?" is left as an exercise for the reader by the "listen to your body" crowd.  Again, you'll slowly learn over time what that means.  I can tell you story after story what I thought I heard my body say, what I did, and how it didn't work.

Oh, and btw fantastic you're doing well.  You're off to a great start.  I hope you have years of happy times ahead training and racing.

2011-11-24 8:17 PM

User image

Indianapolis

To add another point to the above post... pay attention to your body during the workouts... but also AFTER. If you feel a certain way during a workout, write it down... also write down how the rest of the evening went and into the next day. 

I know if I wake up in the middle of the night thirsty... I didn't properly hydrate. Make sure you keep track of oz's of fluid in addition to calories. 

2011-11-25 12:58 AM

User image

Thanks again guys...

Loads to think about and try out.

I'll keep my head down and train on and intro the nutrition the further I start to go...

The advice and people on here are awesome!!

2011-11-25 11:36 AM
in reply to: #3914151

User image

Extreme Veteran
jonnyspow - 2011-11-24 11:50 AM

Thanks again for all the awesome advice...

I am logging every session at the moment in a planner and then drawing up a weekly breakdown of distances/times etc...

I know it's going to be a long journey and I am looking beyond my HIM and IM. I do not want it to be a one race thing... Just to say I completed an IM.

I am so hooked I can see myself doing this for a long time.

Thank you so much for all your input.

I'll give you one tip you'll thank me for later. Use the logs on here so you don't have to hand-calculate everything!

Also, not sure what a "maltloaf" is, but I wouldn't eat it on the run either!

In all seriousness, sounds like you have a great start.. you should be well prepared for a HIM and IM if you keep on your current path. Good luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Huge change of plans...! Rss Feed