General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help with power meters Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-11-24 11:09 AM

User image

Expert
Newnan, Georgia
Subject: Help with power meters
Ok I'm getting close to putting in the money & getting a power meters. I use the garmin 310xt so what would recommend as far as power meters that would work with that and garmin connect?

2011-11-24 11:24 AM
in reply to: #3914108

User image

Regular
United States
Subject: RE: Help with power meters
looking at the same. there seems to be a wide price range and how they work when it comes to power meters, but not sure what is the best. Powertap ($1000+) seems to be the standard, but there are a few now like kinetic ($75), Ibike ($550) that work off math formula based on speed. Look even has one but price is crazy expensive What is the best value for the money?
2011-11-24 5:15 PM

User image

Expert
NoVA
Ummm not sure where the $1k price for a Powertap came from above---much more affordable then that---and that's new!  Look around and you can find a PT laced to a wheel for just over $500 wireless so that you can pair it with your 310xt (that's my combo!).  Next up would probably be the Quarq---crank based and would also pair well with your 310xt but more in the $1500 range.  The "down" side to PT would be "tied to one wheel."   This can be overcome by getting a wheel cover---matter of fact check out wheelbuilder.com for a wheel and cover---think they are running a sale right now....
2011-11-24 5:54 PM

User image

Expert
Newnan, Georgia
Ok well here is my other dilemma. I am running a specialized roubiax s-works with all dura ace components and good wheels. (not sure the exact
Model) so if I get the wheel style I don't want to downgrade in wheels and if I get the crank style I'd want to keep the dura ace quality
2011-11-24 7:35 PM

New user

The best way to go since you already have a solid wheelset would be a cranks based system. Or the new Garmin pedal based system that should be released this coming year. I HIGHLY recommend the Quarq crankset power meters. They are reasonablt priced, the company is fantastic, and you can service the battery at home easily. I have owned my quarq for two seasons without one issue at all. They start at about $1800 new, but you can find good used cranksets for about $1200. This way you can run whetevr wheels youd like and GXP style cranksets can move bike to bike in about 2 minutes if you have a training bike and race bike.

Do it. you will thank me. Oh and stay away from the math calculation based stuff its a PIA.

Disclaimer: I own both a Quarq and a powertap.
2011-11-24 8:52 PM

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
If price is not a factor then go with the quarq.  The PT is definitely the less expensive route, and if you get a wheel cover it may actually be an upgrade from what you are running with now.  Both quarq and PT will sync just fine with the 310xt.  Have fun shopping!

2011-11-25 5:27 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
You could also consider buying a powertap hub and having your current rear wheel re-built with the PT hub. The cost for wheel building in my area seems to be about $40 + a couple dollars per spoke, depending on the spoke choice.
2011-11-25 5:50 AM
in reply to: #3914325

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-11-25 8:19 AM
in reply to: #3914508

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow

jsnowash - 2011-11-25 6:27 AM You could also consider buying a powertap hub and having your current rear wheel re-built with the PT hub. The cost for wheel building in my area seems to be about $40 + a couple dollars per spoke, depending on the spoke choice.

x2

This is what I did and it has been the perfect solution.......

2011-11-25 10:08 AM

Expert
Newnan, Georgia
Ok what do you guys think of the garmin vector pedals with built in power meter
2011-11-25 10:10 AM
in reply to: #3914600

Pro
, New Hampshire
aquagirl - 2011-11-25 9:19 AM

jsnowash - 2011-11-25 6:27 AM You could also consider buying a powertap hub and having your current rear wheel re-built with the PT hub. The cost for wheel building in my area seems to be about $40 + a couple dollars per spoke, depending on the spoke choice.

x2

Just be careful with this option... it may work very well, or it may not, it all depends how the rim is drilled. You need to have 2x on both drive side and non drive side for a PT. With a standard box rim, this is just fine, but you if you have a carbon rim (or a rim with a carbon fairing, such as the HED Jet's or Mavic Cosmic Carbone), the entry angle of the spoke into the rim will not work.

2011-11-25 11:08 AM

Extreme Veteran
x2 on the Quarq option. Easy, reliable, and you didn't say anything about multiple bikes.
2011-11-25 11:34 AM
in reply to: #3914325

Master
Bellevue, WA

trmat79 - 2011-11-24 3:54 PM Ok well here is my other dilemma. I am running a specialized roubiax s-works with all dura ace components and good wheels. (not sure the exact Model) so if I get the wheel style I don't want to downgrade in wheels and if I get the crank style I'd want to keep the dura ace quality

I've been in the same spot.  Back in 2007 I got a great deal on Zipp 404s and Dura Ace upgrade when I bought my tri bike.  Then I wanted a power meter a year or so later.  What to do that didn't make me throw away what I'd paid good $$ for already?

No one would re-lace a 404 to fit a Power Tap hub.  One guy said he'd do it for $100 and no guarantee it wouldn't crack (and thus ruin) the rim.  This was obviously the "hey, you're stupid to want to do this, but I'll take your money if you want me to" price.  So going PT route meant a new rear wheel, which jacks the price.  Ultimately I bought a used SRM Dura Ace Pro unit, wired.  I recently sold it since I plan on getting a new power meter. 

I've researched like crazy and here are my opinions:

The weird ones - no way.  Why bother with units that calculate your power rather than measure it with strain gauges?  There will be people who swear by them, just like those people who say Saabs were the best cars every built.  And hey my last car was a Saab.

SRM - no way, never again. Sending the unit to Colorado for a battery replacement every year is not something I will do again. Quarq is just as accurate, and SRM is in Dreamland if they think they keep on selling technology with only incremental improvements at sky high prices. 

PowerTap - good choice if you don't already have wheels, or if you want it only in race wheels, or have one bike.  If you can have your wheel relaced to fit a PT hub, great.

Quarq - yes, my plan was to buy one of these.  Don't get stuck on needing Dura Ace, which Quarq can't build due to the design.  Several of the cranks are same level of quality as Dura Ace.

Garmin - well now this is the outlier.  As per Garmin's usual marketing strategy, they announce six months before availabiity and throw FUD into the minds of people like me.  On paper, they sounds great.  Multi-bike / multi-wheel easier than crank systems and the advantage of separating power from left and right feet.  The disadvantage of making me switch pedal systems, but similar enough to the one I use.  Also they're not here yet and may not live up to their marketing, or come March they may just say "oh, sorry, we mean June now".  But Garmin so far has a good reputation of delivering what they say they're going to deliver even if it is a bit late.

All said and done though, I'm waiting for Garmin's system.  I'm in no rush to have a power meter again on my bike, so I could wait until March or June.  Heck I could wait until next year.

2011-11-25 11:35 AM
in reply to: #3914700

Payson, AZ

trmat79 - 2011-11-25 8:08 AM Ok what do you guys think of the garmin vector pedals with built in power meter

This is what I am waiting on.  Not sure if I will go the power route but I want to see how this works out first.  PT has no appeal to me at all.  I see so many folks have issues with it.  I know it is not everyone but my personality is such that I just don't want to deal with something that appears to be that troublesome.  I've not heard anyone complaining about crank based systems though. 

2011-11-25 12:12 PM
in reply to: #3914704

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
audiojan - 2011-11-25 11:10 AM
aquagirl - 2011-11-25 9:19 AM

x2

Just be careful with this option... it may work very well, or it may not, it all depends how the rim is drilled. You need to have 2x on both drive side and non drive side for a PT. With a standard box rim, this is just fine, but you if you have a carbon rim (or a rim with a carbon fairing, such as the HED Jet's or Mavic Cosmic Carbone), the entry angle of the spoke into the rim will not work.

I have Flashpoints......had no issue lacing in the PT. 

2011-11-25 12:16 PM
in reply to: #3914763

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
brucemorgan - 2011-11-25 12:34 PM

trmat79 - 2011-11-24 3:54 PM Ok well here is my other dilemma. I am running a specialized roubiax s-works with all dura ace components and good wheels. (not sure the exact Model) so if I get the wheel style I don't want to downgrade in wheels and if I get the crank style I'd want to keep the dura ace quality

I've been in the same spot.  Back in 2007 I got a great deal on Zipp 404s and Dura Ace upgrade when I bought my tri bike.  Then I wanted a power meter a year or so later.  What to do that didn't make me throw away what I'd paid good $$ for already?

No one would re-lace a 404 to fit a Power Tap hub.  One guy said he'd do it for $100 and no guarantee it wouldn't crack (and thus ruin) the rim.  This was obviously the "hey, you're stupid to want to do this, but I'll take your money if you want me to" price.  So going PT route meant a new rear wheel, which jacks the price.  Ultimately I bought a used SRM Dura Ace Pro unit, wired.  I recently sold it since I plan on getting a new power meter. 

I've researched like crazy and here are my opinions:

The weird ones - no way.  Why bother with units that calculate your power rather than measure it with strain gauges?  There will be people who swear by them, just like those people who say Saabs were the best cars every built.  And hey my last car was a Saab.

SRM - no way, never again. Sending the unit to Colorado for a battery replacement every year is not something I will do again. Quarq is just as accurate, and SRM is in Dreamland if they think they keep on selling technology with only incremental improvements at sky high prices. 

PowerTap - good choice if you don't already have wheels, or if you want it only in race wheels, or have one bike.  If you can have your wheel relaced to fit a PT hub, great.

Quarq - yes, my plan was to buy one of these.  Don't get stuck on needing Dura Ace, which Quarq can't build due to the design.  Several of the cranks are same level of quality as Dura Ace.

Garmin - well now this is the outlier.  As per Garmin's usual marketing strategy, they announce six months before availabiity and throw FUD into the minds of people like me.  On paper, they sounds great.  Multi-bike / multi-wheel easier than crank systems and the advantage of separating power from left and right feet.  The disadvantage of making me switch pedal systems, but similar enough to the one I use.  Also they're not here yet and may not live up to their marketing, or come March they may just say "oh, sorry, we mean June now".  But Garmin so far has a good reputation of delivering what they say they're going to deliver even if it is a bit late.

All said and done though, I'm waiting for Garmin's system.  I'm in no rush to have a power meter again on my bike, so I could wait until March or June.  Heck I could wait until next year.

I am not sure what you mean by this.......you can have a  powertap and multiple bikes. I just swap my wheels back and forth between my P2 and my R3. 

Edited by aquagirl 2011-11-25 12:16 PM

2011-11-25 12:28 PM
in reply to: #3914765

Master
Essex Jct, VT
bzgl40 - 2011-11-25 12:35 PM

trmat79 - 2011-11-25 8:08 AM Ok what do you guys think of the garmin vector pedals with built in power meter

This is what I am waiting on.  Not sure if I will go the power route but I want to see how this works out first.  PT has no appeal to me at all.  I see so many folks have issues with it.  I know it is not everyone but my personality is such that I just don't want to deal with something that appears to be that troublesome.  I've not heard anyone complaining about crank based systems though. 

What problems have you heard regarding PT's?  I try to read as much as I can here and elsewhere regarding power meters.  I went with the PT because of price first, and second because people had very few problems with them.  Just curious.

2011-11-25 12:37 PM
in reply to: #3914821

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
rsmoylan - 2011-11-25 1:28 PM

What problems have you heard regarding PT's?  I try to read as much as I can here and elsewhere regarding power meters.  I went with the PT because of price first, and second because people had very few problems with them.  Just curious.

Geez, how many times can I post in this thread??  

Sorry.....stuck on the couch and a wee bit bored......

I was curious about this as well? I have had a PT for almost 18 months now and have had ZERO issues. It always picks up. It is always reliable. I would recommend one  wholeheartedly.

Edited by aquagirl 2011-11-25 12:38 PM
2011-11-25 12:56 PM
in reply to: #3914826

Master
Bellevue, WA
aquagirl - 2011-11-25 10:37 AM

I was curious about this as well? I have had a PT for almost 18 months now and have had ZERO issues. It always picks up. It is always reliable. I would recommend one  wholeheartedly.

I have many friends that are happy with their PT units.

I think the finicky reputation of PTs is largely historical and based on the early wireless units which always seemd to have problems with this that and the other thing.  Many times we'd have people with PT head units not using power on a group training ride because they weren't bothering to fix whatever was wrong that day.  These days that seems to have gone away.

As for my one bike comment, I've found that swapping rear wheels among different bikes often needs a little tweak of the derailleur to shift correctly.  It's not quite as easy as it might seem, but not a big deal. 

That's why I say if PT is ideal for a one-bike, one-wheel setup.  Reliable, good value, low hassle.

2011-11-25 1:04 PM
in reply to: #3914839

Payson, AZ
brucemorgan - 2011-11-25 10:56 AM
aquagirl - 2011-11-25 10:37 AM

I have many friends that are happy with their PT units.

I think the finicky reputation of PTs is largely historical and based on the early wireless units which always seemd to have problems with this that and the other thing.  Many times we'd have people with PT head units not using power on a group training ride because they weren't bothering to fix whatever was wrong that day.  These days that seems to have gone away.

As for my one bike comment, I've found that swapping rear wheels among different bikes often needs a little tweak of the derailleur to shift correctly.  It's not quite as easy as it might seem, but not a big deal. 

That's why I say if PT is ideal for a one-bike, one-wheel setup.  Reliable, good value, low hassle.

The issues are just the PT not picking up.  User issue or PT issue I do not know.  But I read it enough in the logs to know it just isn't for me.  And I know it is not everyone that has this issue, or even most people, I just know enough to make me stay away.  I have heard both wireless and non-wired having the issue.  Could be as simple as a battery or something wrong with the unit.  Irrelevant to me.  But they have to be half decent if so many folks have them and still continue to buy them. 

2011-11-25 1:30 PM

Elite
Ontario

My PT calibration went out.  But here's one of the great things about Cycleops, they covered it under warranty even though the warranty period had technically expired.  Replaced all the internals in the hub, which gave me a new warranty for a year, and I've had no issues since.

I do like the idea of crank or pedal based systems, but can't justify the cost since I train and race (with wheelcover) on the PT.

2011-11-25 6:32 PM

Expert
NoVA
I really haven't heard of these PT issues (other then another poster mentioning early units having some issues...).  I've heard of some Quarqs having issues BUT I'd HIGHLY recommend either PT or Quarq because most of the issues are in the past and even when there have been issues everybody praises the customer service of both companies---that's what I want in something I buy!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help with power meters Rss Feed