General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Really nervous Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-11-29 1:49 PM

Austin
Subject: Really nervous
So I am coming back from what I think was shin splints from running too much too quickly as a beginner.  No fun.  I am planning on starting the Swim focused Sprint plan and the running part make me nervous.  The first week calls for 20 minutes and 12 minutes.  Is it possible to combine the swimming and biking with a "Couch to 5k" plan and still be effective?  I am 5' 10" and 185.  Experience cyclist and ok swimmer.  My first tri will be March 25th.  I am not worried so much about the biking and the swimming.  It's just the running.  I don't want to repeat the shin splints and screw up my entire plan.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Nick

2011-11-29 1:53 PM
in reply to: #3919223

User image

Runner
Subject: RE: Really nervous
Use the C25K plan.

But the real thing to keep in mind is that you gotta run at an easy effort level most of the time. Like, easy easy. If you can't talk out loud to yourself, you're running too hard.
2011-11-29 1:57 PM
in reply to: #3919229

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-11-29 10:56 PM
in reply to: #3919223

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Hi Nick,  I'm a beginner to running.  I tried to start in Sept. last year and had to stop due to intense knee pains after running on concrete (by October).  So, I backed off completely and this year I started running again at the start of April.  I started with 3 or 4# 3 minute runs and 3 min walks.  I gradually increased my run times but improvement was very slow.  Finally, I turned to BT and asked how to add speed and endurance.  The responses were all pretty much like Scout7 advises you.

It is good advice and has really worked well for me.  Now I'm running slowly with fewer walking breaks but for longer durations.  I'm now running 5 - 7K (3 - 4mi) in just under 14 min per mile - really slow but no knee pains either.  I do however tend to shy away from concrete favouring gravel paths for running surfaces.  My goal is to work up to 10K (6.2 miles) and then to increase my speed - hopefully 60min.

Don't let the running stop you.

2011-11-29 11:14 PM
in reply to: #3919922

Regular

You've probably heard this before, but in addition to the good advice given above, make sure you listen to your body. Is this your very first tri? If so, I'm guessing that finishing rather than setting a new record is your goal. If you feel the shin splints start to come back, make sure you dial down the running, then ramp it up more slowly once you've recovered. The wonderful thing about triathlon is that you can still make use of running less by working on your swim technique, etc. 

Icing helped my shins a lot, as has therapeutic massage. Good luck, and have fun training Smile

2011-11-29 11:25 PM
in reply to: #3919229

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Scout7 - 2011-11-29 2:53 PM Use the C25K plan. But the real thing to keep in mind is that you gotta run at an easy effort level most of the time. Like, easy easy.

x11billionty.

20 min and 12 min shouldn't be overwhelming - you do this on the way to work, up the stairs, to lunch. It's just a question of how fast. Go at a very reasonable(read: slower than you ever thought you'd run) pace for the first little while, let your legs acclimate.

BTW...you have over 3 months until your race. No need to knock out race-day fitness in the next day or two...you've got time. Use it. Yeah, I know it looms large, but trust the plans...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Really nervous Rss Feed